Interesting Question Posed to Me Saturday

UNTLifer

I had the opportunity to meet Hank Dickenson this Saturday and he stated that he and George Dunham were in the pressbox Friday night talking about the UH game. The question came up, has a better, more herald quaterback played in Denton than Case Keenum, a true Heisman candidate. We through around Steve Ramsey's name, but he was never mentioned as a candidate for the Heisman trophy. I've been following North Texas since the 60's and must say that Keenum is probably the best QB to play in Denton. Anyone have any other thoughts?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Steve Ramsey was very good but I don't think that he can match Keenum. In fact, being a very good, accurate passer was part of his flaw. I believe that Steve thought that he could complete every throw and he too often tried to force the ball into coverage. I haven't seen any figures but I'd think that Ramsey was intercepted many more times than Keenum.

Interesting question, I am not sure a more "hearalded " QB has ever been at NT but there are lots of QB's that have had better games in Denton than Keenum. He fornately missed a lot of his receivers, and I give a lot of credit to the Houston overall offense.

There was a kid from San Diego State who visited Denton when SDSU was nationally ranked in the late 70's...can't remember his name, but I think he was a Heisman candidate. He had a Prince Valiant haricut. We beat them at Fouts.

There was a kid from San Diego State who visited Denton when SDSU was nationally ranked in the late 70's...can't remember his name, but I think he was a Heisman candidate. He had a Prince Valiant haricut. We beat them at Fouts.

San Diego State under Don Coryell had some great passing teams in the late 60 and 70's. Brian Sipe was one of the record setting QB's. Tulsa's Jerry Rhome was another prolific passer with a lot of his throws going to Howard Twilly. The tendency is to remember the QB's with big numbers who played in primary passing attacks, but perhaps more talented QB's in more balanced attacks are overlooked.

too bad the man of steele from iowa state wont play in denton and then you would change your mind about keenum. hes been absolutely clutch in the past 2 games and is getting a lot of national recognition (texas fans want our QB for a change)

Steve Ramsey was very good but I don't think that he can match Keenum. In fact, being a very good, accurate passer was part of his flaw. I believe that Steve thought that he could complete every throw and he too often tried to force the ball into coverage. I haven't seen any figures but I'd think that Ramsey was intercepted many more times than Keenum.

Steve had two issues that kept him from being "great". He had a very strong and accurate arm...which led to him forcing passes. His TD to INT ratio was bad his senior year, though pretty good his junior year....when he had Joe Greene, et. al helping on defense (24 TD to 31 INT's in 1969; 24 TD to 17 INT in 1968). He also was the most immobile QB I have ever seen. He HAD to complete his passes, because he sure couldn't tuck it an run.

Steve had two issues that kept him from being "great". He had a very strong and accurate arm...which led to him forcing passes. His TD to INT ratio was bad his senior year, though pretty good his junior year....when he had Joe Greene, et. al helping on defense (24 TD to 31 INT's in 1969; 24 TD to 17 INT in 1968). He also was the most immobile QB I have ever seen. He HAD to complete his passes, because he sure couldn't tuck it an run.

I'm not sure what your criteria for great is, but Ramsey was easily the best QB I have seen at NT. He was definitely as you stated a pocket passer. Comparing QB's and eras is always difficult but Ramsey didn't rely nearly as much on short passes as most of today's QB. Although, he did benefit from a very good receiving corp especially Shanklin who didn't have the hands of Quinn or Fitzgerald but was much faster. Ramsey's numbers in general were not inflated by the short passes and screens that go for big passing yardage in today's game.

I'm not sure what your criteria for great is, but Ramsey was easily the best QB I have seen at NT. He was definitely as you stated a pocket passer. Comparing QB's and eras is always difficult but Ramsey didn't rely nearly as much on short passes as most of today's QB. Although, he did benefit from a very good receiving corp especially Shanklin who didn't have the hands of Quinn or Fitzgerald but was much faster. Ramsey's numbers in general were not inflated by the short passes and screens that go for big passing yardage in today's game.

I can't believe that some on here have not thought of Stan Humphries from Northeast LA! I watched that guy throw bullets all over the field back in 1988-1989...from every angle and in every direction. It was pure athletic art in motion. He then went on to a great career in the NFL-with the Chargers.

I wasn't really impressed with Keenum. His deep balls look alot like Atterbury's punts. And I think most of us could throw TD's passes to unguarded WR's. He missed alot of WR's that were open. I did think he was pretty good on underneath stuff. I also don't like his throwing motion, it doesn't translate to the NFL, he will have alot of balls batted down in the pros.

I don't know how "hearalded" he was, but Greg Cook of U.Cincinnati played in a hell of a shoot out at Fouts with Steve Ramsey. Cook was a high draft choice (Bengals) and was rookie of the year. His very promising career was cut short by injury.

There was a pretty highly thought of QB from So Miss who played at Fouts in the 80's. I can't remember his name, but he did play pro ball.

BTW, Jerry Rhome was the runner up to the 64 Heisman winner (John Huarte of ND). So I guess that makes him the most hearalded QB to play at Fouts.

There was a pretty highly thought of QB from So Miss who played at Fouts in the 80's. I can't remember his name, but he did play pro ball.

...um, Favre? Totally guessing. I have a hunch you're thinking of someone that was before Brett (1988).