Jump to content

GoMeanGreen.com Barbershop Podcast #230 (THE EAGLE HAS LANDED)


Coach Andy Mac
 Share

Join Evan, Harry and TheRealJD as they discuss newly hired UNT head football coach Eric Morris.  The boys give their initial thoughts on the hire and look at the hiring process involving Morris as well as that of newly hired UNT Athletic Director Jared Mosley.  They close out by discussing how both will look to build on UNT's athletic success as the program joins the American Athletic Conference (AAC) next year.

Direct audio link:  https://traffic.libsyn.com/gomeangreen/Morris_hired_mixdown.mp3

 Share


User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I’m now wondering who are said players that are going to be jumping into portal after bowl game… I hope the TEs stay, along with Shorter at WR

There were a select number of players who were jumping in no matter if hc was still seth or new guys. I think with Morris offense and personality we might have a good shot of retaining a few.

  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

As far as expectations go, anything less than 6 wins next year would be really disappointing. There are enough winnable games to get there. 

Absolutely.   The cupboard is full here (if he can keep them & get them to buy in).   Just need a leader.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

As far as expectations go, anything less than 6 wins next year would be really disappointing. There are enough winnable games to get there. 

That’s my thought, too. Without knowing our roster, coaches, etc, I’d imagine 6 wins in the first year of the AAC would be manageable expectations. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Absolutely.   The cupboard is full here (if he can keep them & get them to buy in).   Just need a leader.

The front seven needs a size and talent upgrade. 
We don’t know if we have a QB on the roster. 
Gotta replace the senior person of the OL. 
Besides Shorter, how good are our WRs. 
Isn’t Mooney a senior? 
There are good pieces but this roster is not AAC ready. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, meanrob said:

The front seven needs a size and talent upgrade.    -   Mmmh, disagree.   DL needs a new coach, PRONTO.   LBs rely heavily on KD.  Losing him is going to be tough.   Honestly, Front 7 is the least of my worries when it comes to our defense.  Have you seen our secondary?  Toasty.

We don’t know if we have a QB on the roster.   -   Correct.  This is no doubt a huge driving factor as to why Morris was hired in the first place.   Seems to be his bread-and-butter... at least, that's what we've been led to believe.   Fail here, and we're in trouble.

Gotta replace the senior person of the OL.   -   We need to keep the 3 kicka** underclassmen guards and make one of them a C, or kick him out wide.   If they all 3 stay, OL is fine.

Besides Shorter, how good are our WRs.    -   Shorter is awesome.  Need to keep him.  Maclin, Ward, & Burns are all nice players.  Definitely capable of playing in the AAC.   This position should be an easy one to strengthen with the recruiting class.   Gumms is dangerous as well.  Gotta keep him.

Isn’t Mooney a senior?    -    Good call.   The nice thing about kickers are that if you offer them a scholarship at the G5 level, it's pretty much worth it.   You'll pull down one of the top 20 kickers in the 2023 class.   The P5's often-times don't "waste" a scholarship on them.

There are good pieces but this roster is not AAC ready.    -    Shore up that secondary, and keep the really good players we have now...   I believe we are.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

 

I 100% disagree with you on our defensive line. We might be okay in terms of edge rushers, but our interior is undersized and is pushed around way too much. Outside of QB, its our biggest weakness right now.

I actually think we have serviceable corners. It's our safeties that concern me. Getting players there should be a top priority along with QB and interior DL. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I 100% disagree with you on our defensive line. We might be okay in terms of edge rushers, but our interior is undersized and is pushed around way too much. Outside of QB, its our biggest weakness right now.

I actually think we have serviceable corners. It's our safeties that concern me. Getting players there should be a top priority along with QB and interior DL. 

Enoch and Rod are two of the best players we have on our team, believe it or not.   I bet we see these two thrive under a new coach/scheme.
They (and Vailea) have plenty of size to play the interior.   
I totally agree they were getting pushed around a lot.   Pretty sure it's because they were getting virtually no technique help of substance from their position coach.

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Enoch and Rod are two of the best players we have on our team, believe it or not.   I bet we see these two thrive under a new coach/scheme.
They (and Vailea) have plenty of size to play the interior.   
I totally agree they were getting pushed around a lot.   Pretty sure it's because they were getting virtually no technique help of substance from their position coach.

But I've been assured that coach nepotism knows what he's doing

  • Upvote 2
  • RV 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, meanrob said:

I hope you’re right and the secondary has issues but it’s tough when the secondary does its job and the QB runs for a first down on third and 15. 
 

 

I saw that as partially a product of how many times we only rushed 3 because we dropped everyone back into coverage, mainly because the safeties were such a liability. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I saw that as partially a product of how many times we only rushed 3 because we dropped everyone back into coverage, mainly because the safeties were such a liability. 

If we’re dropping eight into coverage and the quarterbacks for UNLV and UTSA are running wild, then Bennett is not doing his job. 
 

The defense needs to work in tandem. Why they were able to in some games (WKU) and not others, I don’t know. But by 2004 or 2013 standards, this front seven needs work. 
 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, meanrob said:

The front seven needs a size and talent upgrade. 
We don’t know if we have a QB on the roster. 
Gotta replace the senior person of the OL. 
Besides Shorter, how good are our WRs. 
Isn’t Mooney a senior? 
There are good pieces but this roster is not AAC ready. 

QB is the key to any football team, any level.   This has to be his first priority going forward!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.