Georgia State To The Sun Belt

DeepGreen

team-logo-college-new-gastate.jpg

Georgia State is expected to join the Sun Belt Conference and accept an invitiation from the league as early as Thursday, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Georgia State, which has been in the Colonial Athletic Association since 2005, would join the Sun Belt beginning in the 2013 season.

On Monday, the Sun Belt's presidents voted via teleconference to extend an invitation to Georgia State, a source told CBSSports.com. Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson is scheduled to visit Georgia State on Thursday, where he is expected to officially extend an invitation to the school.

Last week, CBSSports.com reported the Panthers were a “leading candidate” to join the Sun Belt in the “coming weeks.”

However, that timeline has been accelerated because the Colonial Athletic Association has discussed increasing its exit fees from $250,000 to an amount “significantly higher” CAA commissioner Tom Yeager told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Georgia State's Olympic sports have been a member of the CAA since 2005, while this fall will be Georgia State's first to play as a CAA football member. The Panthers have been playing football for only two seasons but could move from the smaller Football Championship Subdivision ranks, which the CAA competes, to the Football Bowl Subdivision, which the Sun Belt is a member, in 2014.

My link

Is Benson protecting his right flank(losing FIU)?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Well, talk about low hanging fruit. UTSA looks great compared to this pick up. The only way this makes sense to me is that Benson expects the Belt to lose a lot of teams. I can't believe the conference approved this addition, this just about guarantees that the Belt stays at the bottom of the pile.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Think Bill Curry is bitter about his Alabama days? You know, coaching for a school in a state next to Alabama, and only one player from Alabama on the roster: http://www.georgiastatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=12700&SPID=5671&SPSID=53625

Well, Georgia State is in Atlanta, so...future Belt road trips to ATL. Sure, not as exciting as Monroe or Troy or Jonesboro, but...you take what you can get, I suppose.

• Upvote 2

Can someone give Deep some plus ones for this story find? Great work Deep!

My first reaction is surprise in that I expected Benson to wait until the smoke cleared with the Alliance stuff but then again, it appears the timing is good for Georgia State.

Here's a link to their sports site if you are like me and don't know much about them:

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/

Did no one see my previous post?

Not that endowment is everything but look at where ours is and we have done some great things.

UNT: 100 million

Georgia St: 166 million

UNC Charlotte: 140.9 million

(my personal favorites)

Old Dominion- 136 million

VCU- 349.7 million

VS current Sunbelt teams

UALR- 7.6 million

ASU- 9.6 million

ULL- 58 million

ULM- 20 million

MTSU- 34.9 million

Troy- $389, 466.... I hope that's wrong.

any way you slice it thats pretty pathetic. Only 4 other schools beat the "start ups". If they can compete so can these others.

Only these teams have comparable endowments

FAU- 156 million

FIU- 138 million

USA- 384 million

WKU- 109.9 million

But I guess its hard to face the facts with numbers. Georgia St. was voted in because they have a good chunk of change to draw on, good market, good facilities, good name, etc. The same reason we built our facilities, to move up.

Wake up people, THE REASON WHY THE SBC IS AT THE BOTTOM IS THE LACK OF MONEY/RESOURCES THE TEAMS HAVE! Look at those endowments. $389,000?? Seriously? If we can contribute with our funds and build up our program so can they. Only two programs have a higher endowment ,TWO. So how is it that we can be putting this team down already?

• Upvote 3

Did no one see my previous post?

But I guess its hard to face the facts with numbers. Georgia St. was voted in because they have a good chunk of change to draw on, good market, good facilities, good name, etc. The same reason we built our facilities, to move up.

Wake up people, THE REASON WHY THE SBC IS AT THE BOTTOM IS THE LACK OF MONEY/RESOURCES THE TEAMS HAVE! Look at those endowments. $389,000?? Seriously? If we can contribute with our funds and build up our program so can they. Only two programs have a higher endowment ,TWO. So how is it that we can be putting this team down already?

Why do you place any great significance on endowments which has next to nothing to do with athletics? Unless of course, the endowments are to the athletic department. The reason the Belt is considered the bottom of the heap is that it is largely a collection of fc move-ups and/or little known teams. Something that is continuing with the inclusion of Ga St. Resources are a key issue, but that has to do with athletic facilities and budgets, not a school's endowment. You do know that endowments are mostly restricted funds that are seldom spent but generate investment income that is primarily used for scholarships, faculty compensation and research.

• Upvote 3

Who freaking cares about endowments? We're talking about football, sports. And no, they don't have good facilities and the market is saturated with GTech and GA...no one cares about GAST. I have friends there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do you place any great significance on endowments which has next to nothing to do with athletics? Unless of course, the endowments are to the athletic department. The reason the Belt is considered the bottom of the heap is that it is largely a collection of fc move-ups and/or little known teams. Something that is continuing with the inclusion of Ga St. Resources are a key issue, but that has to do with athletic facilities and budgets, not a school's endowment. You do know that endowments are mostly restricted funds that are seldom spent but generate investment income that is primarily used for scholarships, faculty compensation and research.

A poorly funded school will lack in all departments. Better funding means better teachers, better students, better alumni, higher prestige for your school, and ultimately better donations. It all ties in together. Sure endowments aren't a direct reflection of athletics, but are you going to say that the school that has 7.6 million in the bank is better prepared than the school who has 160 million?

They have the funds to make a good financial investment in their school, be it facilities, academics, scholarships, etc. Or do you disagree?

• Upvote 2

I don't care anymore. I just don't. We're obviously not the first choice of anyone.

We are reaping the damn foolishness of dropping to I-AA...still.

We are reaping the damn foolishness of hiring a high school football coach to take us from bad to worse...still.

We are reaping the damn foolishness of waiting so long to upgrade facilities...still.

And, we wait and we wait and we wait.

The crazier people on here laughed at UTSA. Laughed that they hired Larry Coker. Laughed at Texas State. Laughed that they hired Dennis Franchione.

We laugh and laugh and laugh, and yet, where are we? On the outside looking in...all the time...every time.

Georgia State is in Atlanta. They've got Bill Curry leading them. Although we might not like to admit it, they could very well surpass us in the realignment game. So might UTSA. Little Boise State did. Start from scratch South Florida did as well.

So, I say, "Welcome aboard, Georgia State." At least while we're being ignored and surpassed, we'll have more interesting cities to visit for away games.

The only thing that will ever cure any of this is winning.

Rant away, but how do you know that NT is going to be passed by any of the newbies. History may say NT is domed, but in my view it is relatively easy to start a FB division program and join the ranks of lower tier have-nots. The trick is to be successful and take that next step. You are correct, NT was very late in taking athletics seriously and it shows in the perception of the program. NT has always been the odd man out in Texas collegian athletics. The question now, is will NT take a small step up to CUSA/Alliance or remain in an even weaker than it was, Belt.

• Upvote 1

Who freaking cares about endowments? We're talking about football, sports. And no, they don't have good facilities and the market is saturated with GTech and GA...no one cares about GAST. I have friends there.

Funny that sounds very much how other conferences view us. DFW is saturated with UT, A&M, Tech, OU, SMU, TCU, the Cowboys, etc. No one cares about UNT, its a commuter school.

The best thing to do is win, that takes care of all perception problems, no matter what your conference is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A poorly funded school will lack in all departments. Better funding means better teachers, better students, better alumni, higher prestige for your school, and ultimately better donations. It all ties in together. Sure endowments aren't a direct reflection of athletics, but are you going to say that the school that has 7.6 million in the bank is better prepared than the school who has 160 million?

They have the funds to make a good financial investment in their school, be it facilities, academics, scholarships, etc. Or do you disagree?

It doesn't help them with football facilities. They play football in the Georgia Dome, which they do not own.

• Upvote 1

Looks like someone might have jumped the gun! Benson says it is not yet a done deal and he is NOT going to be in Atlanta on Thursday for any announcements. He does say they are talking, but he still needs to do a fact finding visit.

And, Benson did NOT say GSU is the next Boise State. At least not yet.

Here's the story

Disagree on what, more money is better than less money? NT even more than most state schools was late in emphasizing fund raising, in fact it is oft quoted that the administration pre seventies was opposed to accepting any gifts much less soliciting them because they didn't want their independence compromised. Frankly, for most school particularly public ones, the amount of funds received from endowment investment is very small relative to other sources.

By the way, I didn't state that endowments were unimportant to the school, they definitely are. The point again is that they have little to do with NT athletics and probably less with realignment. I have not heard any discussions about Boise State's resources or any big movement to get an Ivy league school to move up to the fb division because they have giant endowments. On a realignment scale, I would opine that a couple more recent football victories or an extra million in the athletic budget would weigh much heavier than a few hundred million more in endowments.

Same argument can be made about us, Texas has the Aggies, Longhorns, OU is up the road, and even TCU.

So our market is saturated

The best thing to do is win, that takes care of all perception problems, no matter what your conference is.

I almost agree with you except that a win against LSU is better than a win against a school like GAST. All wins are not created equal.

And yes people can (and do) say the same thing about North Texas...do you thinking adding schools like GAST will help UNT improve that image? Doubtful.

I don't care anymore. I just don't.

I'm starting to think the same way.

This has been the most exhausting offseason I've ever been a part of.

Thinking about where this is all headed long term, my love for college football is being zapped...

Access to sufficient cash to meet your monthly operating requirements is extremely important, and especially to a yearning-to-be high quality athletic program. The endowment that really counts is in your pants!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2