Does KNTU know about NT ?

greenjoe

I listen to KNTU on the way home to hear the Channel 8 news. Before the Channel 8 news comes on, they have some students reading "rip and read" news. Tonight, I heard 2 stories on Oklahoma football and one about Texas football. Not a word as to whether North Texas fields a football team or not.

Hey KNTU...We're the Mean Green

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I listen to KNTU on the way home to hear the Channel 8 news. Before the Channel 8 news comes on, they have some students reading "rip and read" news. Tonight, I heard 2 stories on Oklahoma football and one about Texas football. Not a word as to whether North Texas fields a football team or not.

Is anyone really surprised?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

What exactly is there to report about the UNT team right now? I'm sure they probably needed stories to fill time and a couple came up on the wire about UT and OU. I would rather have something about UNT too, but our football team isn't exactly a hotbed for stories during the summer.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What exactly is there to report about the UNT team right now? I'm sure they probably needed stories to fill time and a couple came up on the wire about UT and OU. I would rather have something about UNT too, but our football team isn't exactly a hotbed for stories during the summer.

What football stories of great interest to the UNT community could those schools possibly have during the Summer months themselves? Recruiting violations?

• Upvote 1

What football stories of great interest to the UNT community could those schools possibly have during the Summer months themselves? Recruiting violations?

How about movie night at the new stadium? How about the Eagle head statue going into the stadium for the players to touch on the way onto the field? How about Tony Mitchell being on the U19 National Team?

• Upvote 5

I'm not sure what the intended message was from this post. It says you listen, which I inferred to mean you listen on a regular basis, but you call out one night where there were stories about other universities, but not UNT. I'm assuming you are talking about the sports segment. One night isn't really a trend, though it looks like other posters are dog piling with the assumption that this is normal coverage. I listen to KNTU periodically on the way home, but not every night of the week. I've never had a problem with their coverage of UNT athletics. Yes, they do cover sports news outside of UNT, but when there is something newsworthy with UNT athletics, I've found it's usually covered too.

How about movie night at the new stadium? How about the Eagle head statue going into the stadium for the players to touch on the way onto the field? How about Tony Mitchell being on the U19 National Team?

It's a daily news show. The statue story didn't really break yesterday. The movie night story, from what I can tell, can only be validated through someone's recount of a twitter posting and isn't a sports story, though I suppose could have been reported in another segment if an unknown movie being shown in two months at the stadium is newsworthy right now. The Mitchell story came out on Monday, not yesterday. It wouldn't surprise me if it was covered on Monday.

My two cents.

• Upvote 4

Good points 90 Grad.

I guess it's just me. I don't think sports stories about other universities should lead in front of stories about North Texas. In fact, I don't listen to KNTU to hear about other schools. Is that a shot at KNTU ? Well, if the shoe fits. To be as fair as possible, there was a story about a North Texas track athlete well after the story about Texas and OU. I don't want to hear about the Red River game or how much assistant coaches at OU are getting as a bonus on KNTU. As I said, I listen to hear the Channel 8 news. Dale Hansen can cover Texas and OU well enough. If there's non-sports news about another university, fine. Tell me. Sports on KNTU, at least college sports, should be limited to NT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'd like it if the Late Edition only did UNT news. That's what I listen for. Looking at their website, they are proud of the recognition they've received as a top college news program reporting local, national, and international news.

Don't worry, nobody is listening.

Before the -1's keep rolling in from KNTU's dedicated listeners (lol, really?), I think it's sad that the school's dedicated station picks up .1 or nothing at all in Arbitron, largely thanks to a format that guarantees almost no students listen to it. It should be turned into a college station instead of something that 0.7% of all DFW listens to.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

KNTU is a metroplex station, not just Denton. While the coverage will be mostly centered around UNT they will cover any sports story that has revelance in DFW.

Do you really think a radio station in Austin and/or College Station would run the story of another program. Even the pros are on the back pages in a true college town.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Before the -1's keep rolling in from KNTU's dedicated listeners (lol, really?), I think it's sad that the school's dedicated station picks up .1 or nothing at all in Arbitron, largely thanks to a format that guarantees almost no students listen to it. It should be turned into a college station instead of something that 0.7% of all DFW listens to.

I agree, KNTU shouldn't be pandering to all 5 jazz listeners in the DFW area it should be a service first to the RTVF students and the University as a whole. It doesn't help the students when all they learn is how to be a DJ in a dead format and rip and read AP wires.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I agree with greenjoe that KNTU should cover UNT sports first and foremost. I suspect there is always something to say. As someone said, could you imagine UT's, TCU's (fill in the blank) station covering UNT sports before their own?

But I strongly disagree about the call to change formats. In a recent thread, there was a discussion about being proud of the university. There is one undisputed thing that North Texas does that is better than any other university in the country and that is its jazz program. Why would you not want the university radio station to mirror what is best and unique at our school?

Besides, a .7 rating is not so bad for a college run station with no advertising. We would be elated if .7 of the Metroplex population attended a home football game!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

But I strongly disagree about the call to change formats. In a recent thread, there was a discussion about being proud of the university. There is one undisputed thing that North Texas does that is better than any other university in the country and that is its jazz program. Why would you not want the university radio station to mirror what is best and unique at our school?

I would rather that students learn how to do things that will actually net them careers, aka sports talk, talk, and music people actually want to hear. Wouldn't it be more experience for a student to be programming a station for 250,000 people instead of 45,000? Wouldn't it be nice to have students and alums listening to a station where you can advertise upcoming games, concerts, and other events and just keep them interested in (or bring them back to) their school in general?

I have nothing against jazz, but it's a waste of resources for a university run station to have that as its main format.

Besides, a .7 rating is not so bad for a college run station with no advertising. We would be elated if .7 of the Metroplex population attended a home football game!

Not a .7, a .1. 0.7% of all DFW, aka just over 45,000 people. Sometimes it's not even a .1, so then it's just not rated instead of being a '.0'.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Ratings are useless for KNTU anyway, because they can't sell advertising. So why not let the students learn skills and have a creative outlet that might help them earn money after they graduate.

There's a place for jazz on KNTU, just not 24 hours (give or take) a day.

• Upvote 3

Do you really think a radio station in Austin and/or College Station would run the story of another program. Even the pros are on the back pages in a true college town.

If they broadcasted to an area with a population as large as DFW then yes they would. Like I said before, KNTU broadcasts to DFW, not just Denton.

DFW is a pro sports town and one could argue so is Denton with the lack of support UNT receives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What exactly is there to report on t.u. or o.u. right now?

KNTU is a metroplex station, not just Denton. While the coverage will be mostly centered around UNT they will cover any sports story that has revelance in DFW.

So they're not the university's radio station? Whew! Thanks for clearing that up. So what is the university's official radio station? I need to update the presets on my car radio.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

KUSC plays classical music. They don't really ever cover anything USC does (the DJ's do mention all the schools that USC is home to tho, like "USC home to the George Lucas Film School" - so they are a mouthpiece for the University that way) athletics wise. Occassionally after a big win they might mention it on the morning program, but they don't even cover games on the station. I'm not sure, but I believe it is much the same with UCLA.

**I am a classical music fan hence I listen to KUSC at work a lot.

i was tempted to -1 your ass right off the bat, but i stuck with and rode your comment out. as it turns out, you're completely right. it's very wine and cheese hoity toity; a life-force drain of the highest order. i started at UNT as a music major, but changed majors while i was there because the music department -- almost to a person -- refuses to accept that there is any other respectable genre of music beyond classical or jazz.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

because the music department -- almost to a person -- refuses to accept that there is any other respectable genre of music beyond classical or jazz.

What bubble were you stuck in, because you should hear some the awesomeness I have been following for 10+ years.

Look, I totally agree that KNTU is very jazz and classical oriented. They know that, and they know that will never pull in the big ratings. But this has been their identity for the past X decades. And I think we need that. We need some station, that station, there to provide the outlet that is not mainstream and preserve a necessary part of the Denton culture.

And I would also agree that Denton could appreciate a station that is more in line with what you suggest: local rock/hop hop bands, college culture, etc...but IMO it should be another station, not a change by KNTU.

KNTU fine the way it is. Let's manufacture outrage somewhere else.

This.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Isn't UNT's RTVF program relatively successful at producing talent in the industry? I suppose it's no USC, but it seems like they might have a pretty good idea what they are doing.

If by "talent" you mean on-air people, then yes, but RTVF is a lot more than that. Most in the program want to be the next Kubrick and don't realize TV is the way to go to get a job, they felt TV and radio were beneath them. Of the people I was in the program with, the TV and radio people are doing pretty good, but the film people, not so much.