Chuck Neinas may be Big 12 commish

PlummMeanGreen

Albeit a long shot, this is intriguing.

If Hayden Fry were AD, he would first of all sound like a real Denton Chamber of Commerce mover and shaker because that is what he did the day he announced North Texas was interested in becoming a member of the Southwest Conference; he would announce that in light of the present landscape of the NCAA that North Texas would expand Apogee Stadium immediately to 40,000 and get her to 50,000 as soon as possible to accommodate more expected growth on campus, in Denton and Denton County; then ol Hay'boy would blow even more minds by saying North Texas wanted to be a player in some AQC as soon as we could and that the Big 12 would be a perfect fit.

Only AD since NT Athletic Director Fry left Denton who I feel would have major cajones to do such wild Fry'esque kind of talk would be: Rick Villarreal

RV has busted his britches a few times since coming to Denton but always seems to jump up swinging. He who does nothing makes no mistakes is what one ex boss told me even back when I was in high school.

RV may have done a few other things at North Texas that would make the Pope cuss on Easter Sunday (like I'm not too crazy about TSU at Apogee Stadium next Fall myself), but whether you like RV or not....

.....he "IS" pro-active and has had to deal with most his time in Denton as AD the albatross of Fouts Field as our main money-making varsity sports home venue. He also had to hire coaches with Fouts Field probably being the last thing he would show a prospective new head football coach on a tour and had to probably bow his head in embarrassment as he showed a prospective new coach what football venue they would be recruiting toward.

Yet I can close my eyes and hear Rick V doing and saying everything Fry had the audacity to say about us wanting SWC admission; also, when he wanted to get North Texas out of its teachers college modus operendi & Fry not giving a rat's butt what anyone on campus back in that day said to criticize him---that is, the hardy handful on campus who back then still wanted us to be the George C. Peabody College for Teachers.

Now is the time for the University of North Texas to do some pretty bold, wild and crazy things because if we don't with the present landscape of the NCAA--someone else will. And like in sales, the worst thing anyone could tell us is.... "not now."

GMG!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

No we aren't a small private school but there people posting here that have small privates. That is evident in their insecurity laden posts. We have a hell of a lot to offer, i really get tired of people, especially alumns, that try their best to keep UNT down.

No one needs to try to keep UNT down, it's done a mighty fine job of that on it's own for a long, long time. This sleeping giant has had Ambien pumped into it since Pope Hayden Fry left.

I fail to see the association between the relative size of one's genitalia and being realistic about how the rest of the state and nation view UNT as an institution and as an athletics program.

Yes, our alma mater has made tremendous strides in the last decade. Yes, we have a lot to offer. However some of us recognize that outside DFW, UNT is still a largely unknown entity. I applaud the strides we've made. I am a strong supporter and advocate of all things UNT. But my wishful and hopeful thinking doesn't make us a candidate for admission into the SEC in any part of the universe outside my own admittedly strange and slightly deluded alcohol-soaked brain.

Make no mistake, I absolutely believe in UNT and Denton... I just also am reminded on a daily basis I am still in the minority, even among other UNT alums.

That being said, this is a great article and endorsement for UNT and I'm very proud of all the hard work our administration has done on both sides of the highway.

Great article.

I like this Chuck Neinas quote because I happen to agree that we did get a lot of stadium for $78,000,000.

Chuck Neinas quote: "I would say based on what I know about facility construction, they are getting a [great] deal for $78 million. It will be a top-notch 30,000-seat venue that will complete the athletic complex.”

(Closer to 31,000, Mr. Neinas, but whose counting, right)? :rolleyes:

GMG!