Chuck Neinas may be Big 12 commish

PlummMeanGreen

Albeit a long shot, this is intriguing.

If Hayden Fry were AD, he would first of all sound like a real Denton Chamber of Commerce mover and shaker because that is what he did the day he announced North Texas was interested in becoming a member of the Southwest Conference; he would announce that in light of the present landscape of the NCAA that North Texas would expand Apogee Stadium immediately to 40,000 and get her to 50,000 as soon as possible to accommodate more expected growth on campus, in Denton and Denton County; then ol Hay'boy would blow even more minds by saying North Texas wanted to be a player in some AQC as soon as we could and that the Big 12 would be a perfect fit.

Only AD since NT Athletic Director Fry left Denton who I feel would have major cajones to do such wild Fry'esque kind of talk would be: Rick Villarreal

RV has busted his britches a few times since coming to Denton but always seems to jump up swinging. He who does nothing makes no mistakes is what one ex boss told me even back when I was in high school.

RV may have done a few other things at North Texas that would make the Pope cuss on Easter Sunday (like I'm not too crazy about TSU at Apogee Stadium next Fall myself), but whether you like RV or not....

.....he "IS" pro-active and has had to deal with most his time in Denton as AD the albatross of Fouts Field as our main money-making varsity sports home venue. He also had to hire coaches with Fouts Field probably being the last thing he would show a prospective new head football coach on a tour and had to probably bow his head in embarrassment as he showed a prospective new coach what football venue they would be recruiting toward.

Yet I can close my eyes and hear Rick V doing and saying everything Fry had the audacity to say about us wanting SWC admission; also, when he wanted to get North Texas out of its teachers college modus operendi & Fry not giving a rat's butt what anyone on campus back in that day said to criticize him---that is, the hardy handful on campus who back then still wanted us to be the George C. Peabody College for Teachers.

Now is the time for the University of North Texas to do some pretty bold, wild and crazy things because if we don't with the present landscape of the NCAA--someone else will. And like in sales, the worst thing anyone could tell us is.... "not now."

GMG!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That guy has too much of a long term relationship with OU. Surely, the other schools will balk at that. Although, he was also former Big 8 commish, so you could assume the worm turns big time and the former Big 8 schools simply outvote Texas, Baylor, and Tech on it.

Still, if it's peace they want in the conference, surely it's better to go with a completely disinterested third party who wouldn't have the slightest prior affiliation with any of the schools.

boy, if they hated Beebe, can you imagine the backlash Neinas would get bringing UNT into the big 12-X?

kind of a fun idea, but come on.

Now follow me on this tangent, imagine the rage by the other mid-majors in texas that didn't get an invite and we did. That would be one of the funniest days in the history of the world...

UT has apparently stated that they wouldn't possibly want TCU in the big 12...I wonder what the response would be to UNT by the drama cow in austin.

If Texas doesn't want TCU, I can't see any appeal to UNT. They already have DFW. And if I'm being wholly objective, we aren't perceived to be a better academic institution than TCU or SMU. Or even UH, in many areas. So again, besides potential, I don't see what we have to offer that the Big 12 a) doesn't already have or b ) is improved by our addition.

What's the advantage to UNT over Louisville, Memphis, or similar?

Again, I love my alma mater, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

If Texas doesn't want TCU, I can't see any appeal to UNT. They already have DFW. And if I'm being wholly objective, we aren't perceived to be a better academic institution than TCU or SMU. Or even UH, in many areas. So again, besides potential, I don't see what we have to offer that the Big 12 a) doesn't already have or b ) is improved by our addition.

What's the advantage to UNT over Louisville, Memphis, or similar?

Again, I love my alma mater, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

Being realistic is not a requirement for posting. :unsure:

• Upvote 3

Commissioners don't vote on new members so I don't see him having to recuse himself.

Chuck Neinas is a fair and honorable man. That's how he built his reputation. The only advantage that I see is that he would make sure that our case were fairly presented. If we had an advocate he might give them opinion or insight but I don't believe in his presiding that he would try to influence the presidents who are voting on expansion.

Frankly, I'd rather have him presenting our case than acting as adjudicator.

If this happens it is good news. Neinas can convey what UNT has to offer better than most. Realizing that Big12 is a long shot, it doesn't hurt to have a guy like Neinas - who is very familiar with us - in this position.

If this happens it is good news. Neinas can convey what UNT has to offer better than most. Realizing that Big12 is a long shot, it doesn't hurt to have a guy like Neinas - who is very familiar with us - in this position.

I agree, but we also need to consider that along with the positives, he also knows the negatives.

I would much rather have him advocating for us (not talking about our negatives) than being in a position to present both sides.

It can't hurt our chances at changing conferences to have someone with a favorable opinion of us as commish of ANY conference.

I still don't see the Big whatever adding ANY Texas schools to replace A&M. U of H doesn't add anything the Big whatever doesn't already have. Even without A&M, Texas and OU will be the dominate draws in DFW, Houston, San Antonio and OKC markets. Losing A&M probably costs the Big whatever the Lufkin market, if that. A&M fans are extremely loyal, but they just don't have that many "tshirt" fans and those are what generate TV viewers.

BYU makes the most sense. It has a national following. No one in the Big whatever is going to object a religious school unlike Pac12. They add SLC market, plus a small but very loyal fans across the country - like A&M fans but more of them.

I still find all the fuss over the LHN amusing. Bill Byrne, the A&M AD, has said multiple times they build 12 Man Productions to create an Aggie TV network. They went to every group they could find but couldn't get enough interest. When Texas succeeds at doing exactly the same thing, it is somehow unfair.

Also, don't discount the LHN just because they don't have much carriage yet. The Big10 network couldn't get carried in Columbus at first and now does very well.

• Upvote 1

It can't hurt our chances at changing conferences to have someone with a favorable opinion of us as commish of ANY conference.

Pretty big assumption you make here. He was paid to do an analysis, but the full analysis was not released (smart). We don't know his true opinion of little ole UNT

• Upvote 1

Neinas is being targeted as an interim commish, and I strongly suspect that would be interim only.

That what I thought of a certain university president who started out as an interim. That same President has a good relationship with Neinas; while I don't think by any means that gets NT into a AQ conference, it doesn't hurt NT's overall chances in any pending realignment.

The difference between us and the other Big 12 alternatives in Texas, is that our fanbase and recruiting would go through the roof in the Big 12 relative to the other possible schools. I very much doubt that schools like TT and Baylor want the sleeping giant to finally awaken anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

That what I thought of a certain university president who started out as an interim. That same President has a good relationship with Neinas; while I don't think by any means that gets NT into a AQ conference, it doesn't hurt NT's overall chances in any pending realignment.

Neinas is friends with Lane Rawlings, and you're right about Neinas being a very good choice for a long term candidate. This means he will put in a good word for a conference that attainable. I doubt it's the Big 12, but if that were the case I wouldn't be opposed.

The interim label is to get him in before a vote and he has enough connections and respect to potentially save the big 12.

What incentive would be offered to the interim guy who saves the conference during the time they need a commissioner most if it weren't a potential long term gig?

If the conference is still around with an auto-bid, the interim guy would have proven that he's a miracle worker at this point.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

The funny/sad thing in all of this, is I guarantee that after all the crying Baylor did about having Texas schools in the Big 12 for rivalry, economy, etc, they'll make absolutely no effort, and probably work against, adding any Texas schools.

I bet you are 100% correct.

Albeit a long shot, this is intriguing.

If Hayden Fry were AD, he would first of all sound like a real Denton Chamber of Commerce mover and shaker because that is what he did the day he announced North Texas was interested in becoming a member of the Southwest Conference; he would announce that in light of the present landscape of the NCAA that North Texas would expand Apogee Stadium immediately to 40,000 and get her to 50,000 as soon as possible to accommodate more expected growth on campus, in Denton and Denton County; then ol Hay'boy would blow even more minds by saying North Texas wanted to be a player in some AQC as soon as we could and that the Big 12 would be a perfect fit.

Only AD since NT Athletic Director Fry left Denton who I feel would have major cajones to do such wild Fry'esque kind of talk would be: Rick Villarreal

RV has busted his britches a few times since coming to Denton but always seems to jump up swinging. He who does nothing makes no mistakes is what one ex boss told me even back when I was in high school.

RV may have done a few other things at North Texas that would make the Pope cuss on Easter Sunday (like I'm not too crazy about TSU at Apogee Stadium next Fall myself), but whether you like RV or not....

.....he "IS" pro-active and has had to deal with most his time in Denton as AD the albatross of Fouts Field as our main money-making varsity sports home venue. He also had to hire coaches with Fouts Field probably being the last thing he would show a prospective new head football coach on a tour and had to probably bow his head in embarrassment as he showed a prospective new coach what football venue they would be recruiting toward.

Yet I can close my eyes and hear Rick V doing and saying everything Fry had the audacity to say about us wanting SWC admission; also, when he wanted to get North Texas out of its teachers college modus operendi & Fry not giving a rat's butt what anyone on campus back in that day said to criticize him---that is, the hardy handful on campus who back then still wanted us to be the George C. Peabody College for Teachers.

Now is the time for the University of North Texas to do some pretty bold, wild and crazy things because if we don't with the present landscape of the NCAA--someone else will. And like in sales, the worst thing anyone could tell us is.... "not now."

GMG!

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 4

We're not a small private school, and we're not a big threat to their recruiting. That said, the only way we'd be added is if a lot, a lot, of schools said no.

No we aren't a small private school but there people posting here that have small privates. That is evident in their insecurity laden posts. We have a hell of a lot to offer, i really get tired of people, especially alumns, that try their best to keep UNT down.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1