Charlotte (2/26/15)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I actually noted tonight that a Benford offense now involves FAR less standing around when players don't have the ball.

They've moved away from the motion offense which was confusing to the players and have gone with more sets/plays. Players know where to be and who to set screens on. It makes it easier on the players. Only drawback is it's easier to scout.

• Downvote 1

I think we have to sign another big man. (A 6-9, ready to play, Juco would be great) I love what I see in Brice but he will be a pup. I do see him as an impact player fairly quickly. I don't think Combs will get much better unless he can find 20 pounds. We badly need a small forward to replace Jordan. That would have been Greg Wesley's slot. We are so guard heavy that I don't see a need there. There appears to be an offer out there to the Mansfield Lake Ridge point guard. (Woolridge) I saw him last night and am not interested. Don't we have 3 scholarships available? I don't know if all the guys on the roster are on ships, right? Kinda hoping White-Pittman gets homesick.

Exactly. Great night all around btw. The George sendoff was a bit of a tearjerker for those of us who have been accustomed to hearing his Mean Green voice for the last quarter of a century. I almost feel betrayed (lol) by his premature departure. A little undermanned or not, let's keep this going on the court. Making some noise heading into tourney time can only help us down the road.

• Upvote 1

I think most people would say we need 2 guys who can score. We need a spot up knock down outside shooter and we need a guy who can drive it and shoot from downtown. If your offense is gonna revolve around Combs & Byrce you better have shooters to spread the floor. I think we have one Harris, but you need at least 2 on the floor. Also need Combs to get that mid range J down. Can't have two bigs on the block. Voss and his ability to hit the mid range J has opened things up a bit for Combs to avoid doubles and congestion. Like tonight Voss has Thorne on him. Thorne respected his J so he had to come out and defend away from the basket. It opened up the post and driving lanes for our guys.

I agree that Combs needs a jump shot. I wouldn't worry much about him and Bruce in the block together. I mean, is Combs really a back to the basket post moves offense kind of player? Unless he develops that too this offseason (and he needs to have an Armani summer FT improvement and get the aforementioned mid range jumper first) he is going to crash the glass and get plenty of put backs and score in transition for a lot of his points.

I don't know Brice's game, but if he has decent post moves at his size he will be at least somewhat effective as a freshman in this league on a lot of nights. There will probably be other nights where he can't get in the flow of the game or stay on the floor. He'll be a freshman big, bad nights will happen.

• Upvote 1

I have been saying this all year that they have needed to play man. I remember against Rice when they made the switch at halftime and went from allowing 12 3's in the first half to only three in second.

Come on now, anyone who knows basketball will tell you that the zone stops three point shooting

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Their games are different from what I understand.

If you consider posting up 6'1" private school centers different from posting up 6'1" 2A Centers different, then you are right.

They both have a really really nice outside touch for their size. They both needed/will need to add a bunch of good weight to play at the D1 level.

I really like Brice as a recruit, but it's foolish to expect more than about 3ppg as a freshman, and that is being VERY optimistic. There is the very real possibility that his freshman year looks very much like Robinson's.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Brice will avg. at least 10 PPG, 8 RBS and 2 BLKs per game as a freshman. Yes, the competition will be stronger but he will not have 2 guys doubling him the entire game. (albeit 6-1) Additionally, we have not had a point guard (since Weasel Johnson) that can break down defenses and get into the lane like J'Mychal Reese. Brice will make his living from dish passes, alley oops and follow-up dunks. His left handed hook, to his right, is money down low. Robinson's game was completely different; as he never played down low. Brice's game has evolved where he does not take outside shots like he did before his senior year.

It'll be fun to revisit this in a year

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If you consider posting up 6'1" private school centers different from posting up 6'1" 2A Centers different, then you are right.

They both have a really really nice outside touch for their size. They both needed/will need to add a bunch of good weight to play at the D1 level.

I really like Brice as a recruit, but it's foolish to expect more than about 3ppg as a freshman, and that is being VERY optimistic. There is the very real possibility that his freshman year looks very much like Robinson's.

I hope his attitude will be better than Robinson's.

• Upvote 2

Brice will avg. at least 10 PPG, 8 RBS and 2 BLKs per game as a freshman. Yes, the competition will be stronger but he will not have 2 guys doubling him the entire game. (albeit 6-1) Additionally, we have not had a point guard (since Weasel Johnson) that can break down defenses and get into the lane like J'Mychal Reese. Brice will make his living from dish passes, alley oops and follow-up dunks. His left handed hook, to his right, is money down low. Robinson's game was completely different; as he never played down low. Brice's game has evolved where he does not take outside shots like he did before his senior year.

It'll be fun to revisit this in a year

We shall see. Like I said, I really like him as a recruit, I just think it's going to take some time and development.

The development part concerns me greatly with the current coaching staff.

As for Reese, I'm just hoping he actually makes it to the Superpit floor. The history of this staff says those odds are less than 50/50.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1