Benford Press Conference

Mean Green 93-98

gallery_1_88_100110.jpg

Here's the archived press conference: http://www.meangreensports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=1800&id=873276&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=1800

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Is it reasonable that Rob Evans might be on this new staff ?

Ponyfan's says he interviewed with SMU today, would be funny if he took a job with us instead of the "Larry Brown Center for Old Folks and People that Score Under 30 in a Basketball Game".

• Upvote 1

I think he's a good, maybe great hire. He's not the most eloquent speaker, though. He's needs to bone up on his coaching speak.

I believe that he will, in time. Assistant coaches are in far less demand as public speakers and are not usually silver-tongued. There were two things that I looked for in what he said...content and sincerity. I believe that he said the right things convincingly.

Tony Benford was my third choice but after hearing him and seeing the support from other coaches and friends, I believe that RV picked the right man for this job.

• Upvote 2

Chris & Benford had an embraced hug beforehand

I counted 3 AAU coaches in the building

Foy was here , maybe he stays on?

Forrest Robinson wasn't here , might just have been at class

He also said Franklin wasn't there, either. Wouldn't read too much into it.

Meh press conference. Best things about it were the AAU and high school coaches in attendance and the fact that Benford said the UNT job was the best in the metroplex. Bad answer to the question (which was asked twice in a row) about researching UNT and what surprised him in a positive way about the university and why he wanted to coach here. Basically said because of the local talent base.

But, you don't win basketball games at the podium. Time will tell.

If we win 25 games, win the conference tournament, and win a game or 2 in the NCAAs (by no means a probability), I could see Benford taking the first job at the next level. But that's ok, because we would have won a game or 2 in the tournament. RV, I wouldn't count on not looking for new coaches just yet.

As far as Foy, someone please tell me he is not the offensive coach of this team??? I am really hoping for major changes in the half court offensive sets. I mean really.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Clark Overlander attended the press conf, amd Coach Benford recognized him along with the rest of the team. Classy move!

And in mentor Buzz Williams tradition immediately pulled Clarke's scholarship offer after the presser... :unsure:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3