Alabama Birmingham (1/23/14)

CMJ

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Tap the brakes on that.

Why? Benford has a long way to go to win over a lot of fans, and he was definitely the wrong hire. However, last year is gone and thus far; this team looks a lot like a typical JJ team. Winning record over a bad pre-season schedule, about .500 in conference with very inconsistent play for the most part. Of course, JJ always peaked the team at the right time in the conference tournament.

I agree it is too early to believe Benford has turned it around, but anyone that has watched this years should know that this team is better than last year. This team is playing hard and appears to be coming together.

I think some rather have Benford look bad, than an improving NT team.

• Upvote 5

Loved the "University Almost Bama" thing...greatness. This stuff really helps the atmosphere. Appreciate what you are doing to help with student turnout. Need more just like you in the Super Pit supporting these players. They do notice the crowd as confirmed by a player recently....especially the students. The students are their peers, and that's important to have their support.

Thanks! I'm trying. We plan to be back & just as rowdy for MTSU. Rawlins came over and was asking us to keep up the volume. We just need to get all the students in on it. Glad to see some signs come back, too. Like the brick one, for example.

Yes what do you do for a living that allows you to go to campus weekly and do things for student turnout...?

I live on campus?

I go to most of the games?

I run #FillApogee and started #hit30k for the football team?

I help with UNT AD marketing?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Excellent job. Things seem to be coming together. A couple of thoughts:

We looked deep tonight.

Love watching Colin Voss play. A smart physical presence.

Alzee is playing really really well!

CJ seems to be coming into his own which is huge.

Love the fact Jordan is rebounding so well --- at critical junctures too.

Can someone on the coaching staff tell Gaines to stop the petty fouls at the start of the game EVERYTIME? Our big men can't ever get into any rhythm because they are always in foul trouble. On the plus side Gaines intimidated UAB when he was in there.

We still have a tendency to allow easy threes and part of that is because our big men are always in foul trouble and we are worried about the post.

I liked the effort Flash showed tonight. Just wish he would focus more on rebounding. But it was a very positive step for him tonight.

I would like to see TJ Taylor get the ball more. He seems unstoppable when they are man to man.

Great effort and good game. Excited about Saturday.

Our bigs don't understand angles or help defense correctly. It's why they pick up cheap ones.

Why? Benford has a long way to go to win over a lot of fans, and he was definitely the wrong hire. However, last year is gone and thus far; this team looks a lot like a typical JJ team. Winning record over a bad pre-season schedule, about .500 in conference with very inconsistent play for the most part. Of course, JJ always peaked the team at the right time in the conference tournament.

I agree it is too early to believe Benford has turned it around, but anyone that has watched this years should know that this team is better than last year. This team is playing hard and appears to be coming together.

I think some rather have Benford look bad, than an improving NT team.

This, exactly.

I'm still not a huge believer but the guy came over, gave us high-gives and thanked us. He's learning on the job. Shouldn't have happened...but it is what it is. I think Benford can get it turned around, now. He's trying to figure it out and I think he's done a fine job so far. Team is much improved. That A&M win was big. They're a good team. This was also a good win for RPI. This is just a Johnny Jones type season so far.

• Upvote 2

Beating a team that beat NC does say something. We've got a lot of individual talent, but can we put it together well enough to play consistently good b-ball as we approach the stretch run of the season. I'm definitely starting to get interested enough to make the one on Saturday. As another poster indicated, I hope Benny is beginning to see the light.

• Upvote 1

It is unfortunate that we had to wait 1 1/2 years and destroy the interest in the program to get to this point, but it does seem like we are finally playing an up tempo game and shooting when the opportunity first presents itself instead of running around until the end of the shot clock and throwing up a low percentage shot. At least on nights when we are shooting well, we seem to now have a chance. Plus, we are actually getting some buckets in transition.

Defense still needs some work, but it has been serviceable of late.

A small spark of interest has started to regrow. Our recent ability to go up and down the floor and actually resemble a D1 basketball team and be competitive with decent teams is a marked departure from what we have witnessed for the first 18 months of the Benford experiment. Unfortunately, complete apathy had sat in to the point that I would rather clean the garage than drive an hour for a game. I am hoping to make the MTSU game.

• Upvote 1

I just wish I knew what this team is. We play well for stretches and in individual games, but then come out and look flat and can't shoot in others. If they can play consistently the way they did last night, then we are a good team that can play with anyone in CUSA. There is just no consistency and I just don't know what this team is right now.

I was very, very happy when UAB didn't start fouling with two minutes left. My most despised aspect of every basketball game ever played, and for the first time in 24 years, it actually didn't happen. It was like their coach just threw in the towel.

I just wish I knew what this team is. We play well for stretches and in individual games, but then come out and look flat and can't shoot in others. If they can play consistently the way they did last night, then we are a good team that can play with anyone in CUSA. There is just no consistency and I just don't know what this team is right now.

When you shoot 49% from the field your going to be a tough team to beat doesnt matter who you are.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Me too. As others have stated, the game last night showed some marked improvement. Offensively, we moved with purpose, got to the hole regularly and shot well. If we can do that consistently, we can be competitive in this league. Alzee and Jordan both looked very comfortable out there.

Defense came up with a few nice stops whenever UAB started to mount a run on us. Pretty impressed with the effort overall.

One big thing: We've got to get bodies on people and get more aggressive on the boards. With our size and athleticism, we shouldn't get killed on the rebounding front like we did yesterday. As Harry mentioned in his post, Gaines has got to stop picking up the quick, cheap fouls. Voss is having to rack up a ton of mintues.

One big thing: We've got to get bodies on people and get more aggressive on the boards. With our size and athleticism, we shouldn't get killed on the rebounding front like we did yesterday. As Harry mentioned in his post, Gaines has got to stop picking up the quick, cheap fouls. Voss is having to rack up a ton of mintues.

To be fair, I believe UAB is #2 in the nation in rebounding.

To be fair, I believe UAB is #2 in the nation in rebounding.

That's a good point.

I guess I wish it'd not been AS lopsided as it got. 1st half we were holding our own in that regard. Getting bodies on guys and boxing out has been a hit and miss proposition for us this year.

Either way, we won! In front of a nice student crowd. Best atmosphere in the Pit in about a year in my estimation.

I'm not gonna disagree - it was infuriating to listen to them get 3 and sometimes 4 chances at the basket numerous times down the floor. But, that's why they're ranked so high in the category I guess.

Everyone needs to show on Saturday and be there for this team! We have played some very good CUSA teams very well. Charollete should have been a win and other then LA tech and ECU I believe we could win 9 games and pull into the tournament with 20 wins. Hopefully good enough to get at least 1 bye if not 2.

Serious question: How does the tournament work this year with the byes?