A bigger Vision

houstonmeangreen

We all have had hopes for better and bigger things at UNT....some of us for over 30 yrs. We were helped along when they build the athletic center..we just needed a stadium....then...ground breaking and we ended up with Apogee...just a great stadium. We have seen a great hire in Dan Mac and the other coaches, tailgating has been great...marketing seems to have improved...now we are in CUSA...attendance has improved and the students are really pulling their weight.

After the HOD bowl, the crowd and the events...what a fun time, and perhaps a gaze into the future of what could be. My vision just got bigger...I'm more hopeful...the AD and admin are onboard....momentum..thats what it is. We will soon have a new hotel /convention center and bar/restaurant at Apogee.

All we need to do is capitalize on whats happening now....momentum !

So, I see potential...potential for a big stepup in attendance, season tickets, exposure...I see we can hopefully get crowds near capacity at Apogee and then look at expanding with a deck and maybe add'l suites ...say 10000 seats. More FUN for everyone..UNT game as the local EVENT..not to be missed. Hopefully the velocity of growth in the UNT football program will be good for the next several years...we will catch up where we should be....finally.

So........has your vision changed since the HOD Bowl?....Do you think Dan Mac or RV's vision has changed....Is your vision Bigger?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I graduated a few years ago just one semester after writing off this school's football team for what I thought would be forever. However, at the beginning of last season, I masochistically decided to give them one more shot. It started by just attending the Idaho game with a few other recent alums. I went in not expecting much, but the team played solidly and I was intrigued to check out another. The game that really did it for me was Ball State. It was hotter than hot and most of my group had left or were planning to leave going into the 3rd quarter. I am so glad I stayed. After seeing the team that I had essentially written off as an embarrassment ne'er to be mentioned come back and play completely balls-out, I was hooked. I finally got an account on GMG and I have since been more plugged into this team than I EVER thought I would. It happened so quickly and seamlessly that I hardly noticed I was becoming a total fanatic. I didn't really see how much I had gotten into it until my boss, a former employee of the AD in the Dodge years, told me "the Mean Green need more fans like you". This past football season saw me go from purposefully unaware to completely sold out.

That being said, I think my vision has changed immensely from last year to this year and even from August to now. I'm very confident that this is just the beginning for this program and this school. Very proud to be an alum.

• Upvote 3

We have seemed to almost break through to bigger and better things once every decade or so - the late fifties, late sixties, mid- seventies and early oughts come to mind, but we have never been able to sustain our success. I believe this time is different. We are out of the shadow of the SWC, we have a wonderful new stadium and a real and dedicated coach. The enthusiastic student response this year is unprecedented and the activity fee they passed has given them a real stake in this program. The Mean Green Club is growing and who knows, there may be more and more deep pockets out there that just might take notice of our recent success. I am optimistic.

if we have several years if winning seasons, things will take care of itself!!

Good signs this season:

1- Almost 27K for the homecoming game.

2- showed up strong on national TV games.

3- The DNA of this program has been changed this season "Beyond the Green proves it" "Y'all remember M Trice tears after the Rice game"

4- We are gaining more loyal players, staff, young fans. "I said young fans because old alumni proves that they didn't help the program that much (i'm sorry) but we have more than 100k alumni in the area and no donations, game attendance, and even positive talks about North Texas Football?!!!!!

5- A lot of signs that we will have a better recruiting class.

6- C-USA have given us more exposure unbelievable.

7- Team depth.

8- A lot more......

Go Mean Green

• Upvote 1

I think the culture of pretty much everything involved is changing...and I hope the improvement continues, because we still have a way to go before we're where we need to be in terms of drawing people in and it will take a lot of work to do so. But me? I always figured this would happen. I just tend to be patient and optimistic so although I always wished any given year was "the year" I wasn't terribly worried. If you recall or even look back at some of my posts from previous years you'll see what I mean. I know it drove some of you up the wall, but everything worked out this year, which is hopefully a sign of renewed and continued success, so hey, it's all good

We're getting there...and we will get there. Everything has a way of working itself out as long as there are people committed to positive outcomes who work hard to make them come true. A real sign of success is the number of failures endured to get there. I've never liked being handed something without working for it, and wouldn't identify well with a University or AD that felt differently. Some of the big time programs just had everything they needed right off the bat and never had to make a push to become successful, because they already were by virtue of what they'd been given right out of the gate. That's not true success to me. Development, progress, and pressing onward in the face of failure until you finally reach your goals...that's success. Being given everything you need is just entitlement and a handout. No thanks. I'll take our way, which also happens to be my way, any day.

Jan 09 2014 12:34 PM |

We all have had hopes for better and bigger things at UNT....some of us for over 30 yrs. We were helped along when they build the athletic center..we just needed a stadium....then...ground breaking and we ended up with Apogee...just a great stadium. We have seen a great hire in Dan Mac and the other coaches, tailgating has been great...marketing seems to have improved...now we are in CUSA...attendance has improved and the students are really pulling their weight.

After the HOD bowl, the crowd and the events...what a fun time, and perhaps a gaze into the future of what could be. My vision just got bigger...I'm more hopeful...the AD and admin are onboard....momentum..thats what it is. We will soon have a new hotel /convention center and bar/restaurant at Apogee.

All we need to do is capitalize on whats happening now....momentum !

So, I see potential...potential for a big step-up in attendance, season tickets, exposure...I see we can hopefully get crowds near capacity at Apogee and then look at expanding with a deck and maybe add'l suites ...say 10000 seats. More FUN for everyone..UNT game as the local EVENT..not to be missed. Hopefully the velocity of growth in the UNT football program will be good for the next several years...we will catch up where we should be....finally.

So........has your vision changed since the HOD Bowl?....Do you think Dan Mac or RV's vision has changed....Is your vision Bigger?

Very well said, houstonmeangreen...

We need an army of North Texas fans and alums to share houstonnmeangreen's vision for North Texas. We need not go back to an un-illustrious past steered by unsuccessful modes of operations.

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of the above.

1. Continue to cultivate and change the current culture of the students on campus. I noticed a big, positive change in their attendance, pride and involvement in the game this year.

2. Capitalize on the success of this season and the HOD Bowl win. Contact every person that bought a ticket, a t-shirt, bought tickets to the tailgate, rode the A-Train, etc... about purchasing tickets for next year and joining the Mean Green Club.

3. Continue to work with the DTA to provide train and shuttle service to all home games. This will become vitally important as the work on I35E begins.

4. Cross market with the businesses, bars, restaurants, etc... downtown convenient to the train station and make Game Day and all day/night event with specials for fans with ticket stubs or wearing North Texas gear.

5. Steal a page from that school down south's marketing strategy and partner with a local wing establishment where diners receive a couple of free "wing zone" seats with a dinner purchase. I think it looks like a tail section, but the establishments in Dallas "pushing tail" are questionable and I am not sure we would want to be associated with them.

6. DISD program where kids that make straight A's the first six weeks, or whatever, receive a voucher for free tickets and call it Scrappy's Scholars.