'15 JUCO DB Zavian Bingham (Mississippi)

NT03

**BIG NEWS** coming out of Southwest Mississippi (JUCO). Corner Zavian Bingham tells me he has given a verbal to North Texas.

— Brad Hoiseth (@BradHoiseth)

July 21, 2014

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Bingham is now considered one of the nation's top JUCO cornerbacks and has verbally committed to Middle Tennessee State University. His other offers from Division I schools were Troy and Utah State.

read more: http://www.sunherald.com/2014/03/22/5435854/former-mgccc-cb-zavian-bingham.html

Add offers from Wake Forest and La Tech too.

Bingham is at Southwest Mississippi College (JUCO) according to the articles posted,

May be or maybe not a concern-

There was a mention about academic problems in one article I read. That is the reason

Bingham is at Southwest. Plans to graduate Dec 2014

Sorry, I didn't check to see there was another commit thread on this kid. I just googled his thread and saw no one had bumped it. But here, has stuff in there. It looks like he'll have 2 to play 2, so he'll come in here as a redshirt junior. Seems like he's already used his redshirt.

• Upvote 1

So this seems to be a really good pickup.

Also if I count correctly, this is already the 4th DB in this class. I would take it we are done with that position for the season?

Good question. Maybe not. We only have 1 true safety in this class in Cade Erwin. Preston is big enough to potentially play safety and Brooks played free safety last season for his high school, but for now they are CBs. Bingham seems like a CB as well. So we are likely done at corner, but potentially could have another spot open for a safety or another corner if we move Preston or Brooks to safety.

In 2015 (when this class arrives) we will have just 4 safeties returning from this season's roster, at the most. Assuming everyone returns. Freddie Warner, Mathew Dash, John Shilleci, and Kishawn McClain. Warner and Dash will be seniors that year, so we need Erwin and another young safety to give us depth at safety for the 2015 season and beyond.

I think with James Jones graduating this gives them some more experience. This kid looks like a very good player. Our secondary looks pretty solid next season with Buyers and Whitfield returning in 2015. Just need a safety to emerge, ie Kishawn McClain.

UNT picked up a commitment from JUCO cornerback Zavian Bingham of Southwest Mississippi this morning.

Bigham is a pretty good prospect and committed to UNTs Conference USA rival Middle Tennessee earlier this year before switching his commitment.

Here are a few of his highlights from Hudl

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/07/unt-lands-juco-corner.html/#sthash.K4JLhADH.dpuf

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/07/unt-lands-juco-corner.html/#sthash.K4JLhADH.dpuf

"I talked to the coach and he told me about all the available SPOTS that are going to be available when I come in," Bingham said. At his speed he is a tailor-made corner. But he said the coaches talked to him about spots, plural. Maybe reading too much into that quote, but I wonder if that means he'll be given a chance at safety as well.

There's only going to be one open spot at corner after this season. But there are two total spots in the secondary opening up with Jones and Lairamie Lee being seniors. Or maybe move Buyers to safety after the season, opening up two spots at corner for next year. We'll see, but I'm just very curious at seeing how our coaches handle our safety situation going forward.

• Upvote 1

His greatest asset is his speed,” Southwest defensive backs coach Donald Dykes said. “The first time I clocked him I saw him run a 4.36. That is something you can’t coach. In terms of football, he has a lot to learn, but he can run.”

Happy about the speed, but I hope he works out whatever technique flaws there are.

• Upvote 1

His greatest asset is his speed,” Southwest defensive backs coach Donald Dykes said. “The first time I clocked him I saw him run a 4.36. That is something you can’t coach. In terms of football, he has a lot to learn, but he can run.”

Happy about the speed, but I hope he works out whatever technique flaws there are.

I hope it's technique flaws and not attitude flaws.

I hope it's technique flaws and not attitude flaws.

If he is immune to coaching (and I don't say he is, I know exactly nothing to that point), then he will have to correct this quickly - at the end of the year, coach Mac doesn't bat an eyelash giving the scholly of a more talented player who proved to be immune to coaching to a medium talented walkon who's talent is to do exactly what the coaches ask him to do.

Edited by outoftown