2012 Attendance Boosters

MeanGreenWithEnvy

This past football season was my first one spent actively checking in on GMG pretty much every day. I love the community here, but there was one aspect of the 2011 season that was a nad-kicking in every one of the home game discussions...attendance.

What I'm proposing is a series of topics here on what we can do to increase attendance. Forget about the would and the could and the should...we all pretty much dumped our opinions on one another enough last Fall. I know that you can't have this discussion without some opinions being involved, but what I'd like to do is try to keep it focused more on the reality that attendance isn't where we would like it to be and what realistic measures can be taken to address that issue.

I'd like to focus the discussion on three areas: steps that can be taken to increase student attendance, steps that can be taken to increase alumni attendance, and steps that can be taken to increase attendance from Denton and the nearby North Texas community (think Little Elm, Keller, Lewisville, etc.). I'd like to steer clear of the dead-end canards like "the Sun Belt sucks" and "we need to play more home/home series with Big 12 teams" and "UTSA is more baller than we are." There's nothing any of us other than RV and the university leadership can do about those things; figuring out some ideas that we could implement with whatever we have to work with is my goal.

I'll kick off the three post series tomorrow with some ideas for increasing student attendance.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Its my opinion that a majority of students will only show up for something that is either cool or can give them something for free. Since North Texas (State) has never considered anything athletic as "cool", that probably isn't going to get solved anytime soon--like decades from now, if at all. So, that leaves free. If you go to big time places to watch a game (Austin, Norman, College Station, Baton Rouge, etc..) often times as you LEAVE those stadiums there are giveaways being done of small stuff--soft drinks, toiletries, souvenirs, etc... If you combined something like this with the free books idea and something else like free pizza for a semester or free gas for a month, you might be able to get a few more poor students to stick around for some of this.

Keep in mind that I don't think any of this will ever get put into place, but it would get some people to consider going and staying at a game. I would just make it that your student ID has to have been scanned into the system (i.e. at the game before halftime) to get anything from anyone.

Or we could just somehow make the other Texas schools like us and want to be affiliated with us in a conference...never mind. Better find the free stuff.

Oh, I know all of this and I know it would take a lot of work. You'd have to give four parties that have never played together a reason to make a lot of changes. Like Silver said, not something we have a history of doing, but I figured rather than dissecting the same crap we read every offseason with snark, I'd throw out something different and see what sticks.

Isn't there a rail line that runs over by the old Liberty Christian school? Near as I can tell it runs south toward Lewisville.

Isn't there a rail line that runs over by the old Liberty Christian school? Near as I can tell it runs south toward Lewisville.

Well, let's round up a band, give them some uniforms and sandwich boards with the schedule and start making regular trips up and down the line for the next 8 months.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stadium Location and Parking

1. There is plenty of parking at the stadium, but it is for donors. This is how all big programs operate. If you want to park close you have to join the Mean Green Club. Years at Fouts spoiled everyone.

2. See number 1.

3/4. Offer $5 to park at Fouts and walk or $10 and include a roundtrip shuttle.

Tailgating at Apogee

1. The hill and trees is what makes tailgating at Apogee unique. What is a tailgating park?

2. Agreed.

3. Bring your own beer and hotdogs or have food services set up and accept student meal tickets and sell to the public. Face painting was offered to my kids once by some Talons walking the Red/Blue lot. I think the 4 that offered are the only 4 still involved in Talons.

4. The bathrooms on the east side are open prior to the game. Not sure why they weren't on the west side.

Giveaways work for a while, but the product (team) and the pre-game experience are what will drive the numbers in the long run.

The biggest problem last year was disciplining everyone over the acts of a few stupid, passed out, drunken students. The solution would have been to address the problem at the time it occurred and get those morons out of there. Coming down on all the students ruined it for everyone.

I agree with most of this, but the unfortunate fact is that we are not yet a big time "build it and they will come" program. We have to do every little thing possible to entice people to cross that freeway. Accessibility doesn't bother me, but I know that it does bother some, and it would be great if we could minimize some of the game day hassles for the marginal fan. Hopefully the pedestrian bridge really helps out. Some great ideas on this thread BTW.

Nice to see you adding substance to this thread. Thanks for that. What do you think you are accomplishing by continually doing this sort of thing? Really, just wondering? Why would a mod want to screw up a decent thread with this sort of thing time and time again?

Shucks. Tasty's post made me giggle a bit as I thought back to the Mexia thread then you went and made me feel guilty for giggling. Oh well. I guess I'm adding to the problem. See you on the 1st, KRAM1!

• Upvote 3

No, getting to the stadium is a pain.

1. No option to pay cash to park at the stadium.

2. Odd traffic flow to get to Fouts.

3. Pay too much to park at Fouts.

4. Odd scattered tailgating at Fouts.

5. No direct side walk from Fouts to Apogee. Just an odd windy path that takes you do the music/armadillo. And once you cross the bridge you have to compete with cars and peddle cabs to get to the stadium.

*side note: I like the peddle cabs, but have you tried drinking on them? Harder than you think.

So yeah "marginal" fans, like everyone's wife, kids, and friend they brought to game says this sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think I can give you a completely accurate student viewpoint, but I can tell you what I saw on campus when it wasn't Saturday. First of all, I think that overall, the students did pretty good this year until the last game when they didn't feel like sitting in a cold rain for a game that didn't matter. Unfortunately somebody saw 50 guys getting drunk on the hill during a game, ignoring completely the thousands of students that were in the stadium at the time, and raised hell about it internally and externally, resulting in an article in the North Texas Daily, Lane Rawlins shutting down tailgating for a week, and police presence so prominent I expected to be asked for my papers inside and out of the stadium.

The students, as a general rule, don't put much stock into UNT athletics as it is. Creating an atmosphere, perceived or actual, of antagonism from the faculty and alumni, isn't going to bring them in. Believe me, there are plenty of other pursuits when you're between the ages of 18 and 22.

Pardon the horrific comparison, but if you want to increase student attendance, you gotta' think like the big tobacco companies. That is to say, acknowledge that you're not going to get organic growth in your existing customer base. You need to get 'em young. Like real young.

Attack two fronts here.

1) Incoming freshman. Emphasize the football program like crazy to incoming freshman. Emphasize it at that first flight week. Make them tour the stadium. Have some kind of dorm wars thing at the games. Have dorm sponsored tailgating in the student premium lot. Have the talons go roust them out of bed on Saturday mornings and get their butts over to the stadium. Walk them there, drive them there. Hell, give them piggy back rides. But get them there. And when they're there, welcome them with open arms. Even if they're wearing a burnt orange sweatshirt. Even if they don't stand. Even if they don't know how to wave their arms during the alma mater (something I still have yet to figure out. I guess they don't emphasize that in grad school).

2) Area elementary and middle schools. I was listening to the women basketball team against Texas Tech a while ago. They bussed up a thousand DISD elementary school kids for that game and they had a blast. They were loud. They were nuts. They were 1,000 butts in the seats. Why the hell can't football do this? Is it demeaning? Does it reduce revenue to fill a couple thousand otherwise empty seats? Bring in the kids and make them fans. Hell, pay for the busses to bring them in and make that money up in concession sales.

Attack these two fronts and accomplish two things

1) Bring an immediate and statistically significant increase in butt count at each and every home game.

2) Create a future revenue stream of dedicated alumni donors when we are rooting for the Mean Green from six feet under, shouting for the worms to get the hell out of our view.

mac was at all freshman events last year, i believe. wasn't a stadium tour part of the orientation for freshman?

and yes, the students kicked ass at the women's game...i teach in denton and we sent a grade level(120 kids) to the game...they enjoyed the hell out of it (it was against oral roberts)

free tuition/books seems like a great idea...maybe they will do it...

as for alumni...really...we hsouldn't need anything...but figure out something to give away would be nice...i guess...i don't know...i'm there anyway, drinking copious amounts of alcohol....wait...that's it...ALCOHOL IN THE STADIUM WITHOUT BEING A CLUB LEVEL PERSON...SHIT, I'M SOLD!!!!

Shucks. Tasty's post made me giggle a bit as I thought back to the Mexia thread then you went and made me feel guilty for giggling. Oh well. I guess I'm adding to the problem. See you on the 1st, KRAM1!

giggle??? really???? unfortunately, only those 'in the know' actually get it...no substance is added by the random comments from him and as a moderator, you would assume something of substance be added...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

giggle??? really???? unfortunately, only those 'in the know' actually get it...no substance is added by the random comments from him and as a moderator, you would assume something of substance be added...

I'm doing monumental things with transfinite set theory on the VVIP forum. And I think we've had some amazing breakthroughs on the "how to cure cancer" thread someone started over there.

I have feelings, people. Transfer picking on me.

I'm doing monumental things with transfinite set theory on the VVIP forum. And I think we've had some amazing breakthroughs on the "how to cure cancer" thread someone started over there.

I have feelings, people. Transfer picking on me.

yippee...i guess...is this what you desire???

and what sucks is that you have a shit ton of knowledge about north texas, but comedy and random ass statements seem to drive you...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

and what sucks is that you have a shit ton of knowledge about north texas, but comedy and random ass statements seem to drive you...

I said what I believe in and I stand behind it. This is AMERICA.

Students are only gonna go to the games if they wanna go.. You can do all these free gifts but it wont make a difference. Yes free tuition sounds good on paper but I highly doubt it would make a huge difference... Winning is only thing that will increase attendance, upgrading conferences wont hurt but if we dont win it will be the same.

If you take the weather games out, our attendance wasnt that bad

• Upvote 3

I think stadium location and parking are huge problems for everyone.

1. They need more parking at the stadium.

2. They need cash parking at the stadium.

3. They need free shuttles to run from Fouts parking to the stadium.

4. Drop the price on Fouts parking. ($5 bucks if we have to keep hiking).

I think tailgating blows at Apogee

1. Bulldoze that stupid hill & build a tail gating park

2. Consolidate the beer tents. Why is Miller Lite out in BFE.

3. Give away free tailgating stuff. Beer, hot dogs, face painting, ect.

4. Provide bathrooms. Why the outside stadium bathrooms by the ticket office is locked makes no sense.

Parking is not that big of a deal, would you rather have a parking lot or a baseball field.... From what I saw, the premium parking was never full, if they build more parking around the stadium its going to be $25 and if youre complaining about paying $10 then youre not going to pay $25. $10 is not expensive for parking, if you dont wanna pay it park on campus or surrounding streets for free.. If youre complaining about walking, grab a beer it makes it go by faster

Why would you give out free food, you bring food to tailgating... Thats the whole point of tailgating

They have bathrooms, they close them right at game time

The hill is mainly for students and they drop everything off the day before.. If you went to the houston game, the hill was the best tailgate..

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Parking is not that big of a deal, would you rather have a parking lot or a baseball field.... From what I saw, the premium parking was never full, if they build more parking around the stadium its going to be $25 and if youre complaining about paying $10 then youre not going to pay $25. $10 is not expensive for parking, if you dont wanna pay it park on campus or surrounding streets for free

Why would you give out free food, you bring food to tailgating... Thats the whole point of tailgating

They have bathrooms, they close them right at game time

The hill is mainly for students and they drop everything off the day... If you went to the houston game, the hill was the best tailgate..

I'm going to agree with Dr. Seuss -- the Hill was pretty cool and very unique to me. Give it time it will only get better as everyone figures out the best way to use it. People tend to forget that we had a couple of bad weather games which sort of put a damper on things. Houston and Indiana were the highlights of the year though.

I'm going to agree with Dr. Seuss -- the Hill was pretty cool and very unique to me. Give it time it will only get better as everyone figures out the best way to use it. People tend to forget that we had a couple of bad weather games which sort of put a damper on things. Houston and Indiana were the highlights of the year though.

I agree that the "hill" is just fine the way it is, and makes for a unique tailgating experience. My main suggestion about the Hill is to have some extra paths put in, and paved, to help with access.

There also needs to be pathway put in from the east ticket area to the parking lot area adjacent to the Alumni pavilion.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I agree that the "hill" is just fine the way it is, and makes for a unique tailgating experience. My main suggestion about the Hill is to have some extra paths put in, and paved, to help with access.

There also needs to be pathway put in from the east ticket area to the parking lot area adjacent to the Alumni pavilion.

Yes, there definitely needs to be some new path work put in. We parked in front of a relatives house in the God forsaken Denia area for the MUTS game, and it was a pretty good (and wet) walk to get all the way around to the alumni side. Guess we need to remember that this was the first year, and improvements are bound to come with time.

1. Change how extra points are done at Apogee. If the kicker can shoot a tin can off the field goal post from 30 yards out, plus 60 points, if not, negative 20 points.

2. Have the Rock come in and be "all time" for both sides, so it will be 12 on 11 and the people will get to see the Rock give Blaine Gauteir the Peoples Elbow.

3. Scrap the cheerleaders, and bring in 36 cardboard Bud light girls to take their place. No one will notice. Saves money, and the ecosystem. Win-win.

4. We need to tap in the Necessary Roughness goldmine, I think if we changed our names to the Armadillos the students would show up. Hiring Sinbad as defensive coordinator wouldn't be a bad move either to entice excitement.

5. Apogee Stadium should be domed over and have a permanent snow maker machine next to the scoreboard so we can play indoor snow games every game and get the best of both worlds.

I'm just brainstorming, probably only 1 through 3 of these are possible.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Is this a bit?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Parking is not that big of a deal, would you rather have a parking lot or a baseball field.... From what I saw, the premium parking was never full,

That's the point, they could have cash parking at the stadium.

The idea of baseball vs parking is a false choice. The real answer is build a parking garage.

And the hill blows. The fact that its hard to access and you have to drop stuff off a day in advance impediments to higher promotions attendance.

Has someone wrote earlier college football is about two things; on the field product, and game day experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The hill is a great concept, but the drop-off parking lot (the old radison lot) rules need tweaking to maximize it. Apparently, student or university groups can reserve a full on parking pass in that lot on a per game basis...meaning that they can leave their car in the lot rather than just dropping stuff off and parking somewhere else. Maybe folks took advantage of that for the first couple games, but that lot sat empty after that. I think we need to open that baby up to the public. Allow student and university groups first rights to those spots, set a date (maybe each game week by Wed?), then allow anyone a shot at them. Then on the actual gameday, armed with the actual count of how many spots have been claimed/reserved, open that baby up as a cash lot for those that want to park and tailgate on the hill.

We need that hill completely full, every game.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

and shoot Gaspipe coupons into the crowd between the 3rd and 4th quarters. B)

This would be a great idea for when Michael Dyer and ASU come to town. It will take him out of the game immediately...literally, he'll be fighting in the stands to get his hands on those.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Absolutely. I only made it to the pavilion once (the first game), and my wife wouldn't go at all, since it meant either climbing over the hill, or walking almost the entire way around the stadium. If you have a green parking pass, great, but otherwise... It made me feel all of my 51 years to make that hike.

• Upvote 1