UNT about to enter a huge week in its season

Harry

UNT was off this week, which gave the Mean Green some time before embarking on a huge week in their season.

UNT will head to Indiana for a nonconference game on Saturday that wont amount to anything in terms of the Conference USA race. Where it will make an impact is in UNTs chase for six wins, the development of Dajon Williams and just how long the excitement created by his elevation to the starting lineup lasts.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/09/unt-about-to-enter-a-huge-week-in-its-season.html/#sthash.AaU7x9wZ.dpuf

2 touchdown dogs and it would be a monumental upset? That's some crazy hyperbole there.

I thought the same thing. And this upcoming game, while not insignificant, is probably less important than any other game remaining this season--so is it really a "huge" week? This blog entry is ridiculously full of hyperbole. I mean, there have to be at least a million hyperboles there, right?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

I thought the same thing. And this upcoming game, while not insignificant, is probably less important than any other game remaining this season--so is it really a "huge" week? This blog entry is ridiculously full of hyperbole. I mean, there have to be at least a million hyperboles there, right?

Quite possibly the most hyperbole used in any article, ever.

• Upvote 4

If hyperbole loses, hyperbole should be hyperbole'd.

It's not like this is the greatest hyperbole in the hyperbolic hyperbole of hyperbole hyyperbole.

:huh2:

Lol.

We get to see what DW can do against good competition this week. THAT is the reason this game is so important. Also, a win gets us half way to bowl eligibility. That also makes this important.

I think its an important game to see if we are a serious team that is building on last season, or a middle of the road cusa team. If we win this game, it may be our only quality win in some people's eyes.

• Upvote 1

I think its an important game to see if we are a serious team that is building on last season, or a middle of the road cusa team. If we win this game, it may be our only quality win in some people's eyes.

Agree. Even if we lose a close game in which DW performs well, it could mean good things for the remaining CUSA conference slate.

Edited by UNT90

Before Mac got here North Texas didn't even have hyperbole. We had to settle for slight exaggeration.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

UT would've been closer. Might have been a win, but it'd be a squeaker.

Pretty sure LaTech would've been a win by 14.

By his own admission, DW didn't know the playbook until the week of the Nochols game. He son was born the week of the UT game and he understandably didn't practice. Multiple places I've seen comments that he was still out of shape at that point. Will all of that, I don't see how he would have made a significant difference in the UT game. An out of shape player scrambling against the UT defense that was playing its best game of the season just doesn't bode well!

I think he could have helped against La Tech, but I think it's still a loss.

By his own admission, DW didn't know the playbook until the week of the Nochols game. He son was born the week of the UT game and he understandably didn't practice. Multiple places I've seen comments that he was still out of shape at that point. Will all of that, I don't see how he would have made a significant difference in the UT game. An out of shape player scrambling against the UT defense that was playing its best game of the season just doesn't bode well!

I think he could have helped against La Tech, but I think it's still a loss.

Don't have to be in shape to do better than 3/17 15 yards 4 ints. He would have made a significant difference in both losses this year, in shape or not.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't have to be in shape to do better than 3/17 15 yards 4 ints. He would have made a significant difference in both losses this year, in shape or not.

His starting would not have made any difference to the out come of the game.

And by his own admission had didn't know the playbook so he it's does not make sense he would have been particularly better than the other two quarterbacks. It you have no clue as to what the routes are, you can't throw on the spot fast enough to avoid that UT pass rush. He might have traded sacks for interceptions, but that's about it.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I get what Vito meant. A win on the road over a two-TD favorite that hails from a better conference would really be a solid upset--and the Dajon Williams hype would reach the stratosphere. But . . . would it be a "monumental" win for the program? I have a hard time seeing it that way, considering we've already beaten Indiana in the only other meeting.

• Upvote 2

There really can't be much complaining about this game or this series. This is a winnable game on the road against a p5 opponent. It is a chance to show the world you are for real but not a paycheck game. Unfortunately, these types of games don't bode well for UNT historically speaking.

His starting would not have made any difference to the out come of the game.

And by his own admission had didn't know the playbook so he it's does not make sense he would have been particularly better than the other two quarterbacks. It you have no clue as to what the routes are, you can't throw on the spot fast enough to avoid that UT pass rush. He might have traded sacks for interceptions, but that's about it.

DW is a D1 caliber QB. I know he knew the playbook well enough to do way better than 3/17 15 yds 4 ints. UT is not a good football team, at all. We spotted them a ton of field position and points bc of horrendous QB play. It may go down as one of the worst QB performances of all time. Not just at North Texas, but nation wide. He would have made a difference.
  • Upvote 2

DW is a D1 caliber QB. I know he knew the playbook well enough to do way better than 3/17 15 yds 4 ints. UT is not a good football team, at all. We spotted them a ton of field position and points bc of horrendous QB play. It may go down as one of the worst QB performances of all time. Not just at North Texas, but nation wide. He would have made a difference.

I actually agree with Coach Gooding on this one.

It's a big game.

We'll know if DW is all that was missing for a chance at another successful year. Another successful year means last year was no fluke and that Mac has finally gotten this program over the hump.

DW & the offense having a good game means NT has a shot in conference play...

I'm not sure how to make this clearer, but Dajon himself has said he didn't know the playbook. Multiple other people have said he was not in game shape. It isn't a question of skill, it's a question of readiness. He was not ready to play in that game. If he had been ready at all, he would have played at some point.

Multiple people with connections to the team said he wasn't ready. The coaches said he wasn't ready. He himself said he wasn't ready. Why is this such a difficult concept for you to grasp? A lot of people who were closer to the situation than you have repeated said what you are stating is incorrect.

This doesn't mean he isn't ready now, just that he wasn't ready then. This happens a lot in football, people get better with the passage of time, practice and study.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a big game.

It's not big, it's huge:

Saying we struggle on the road OOC is an understatement. The last time we beat a non conf opponent was against Ball State in 2009.

Before that, the most recent win OOC was against Texas Tech in 1999. Before that? Texas Tech in 1997.

Add in the win at Northern Illinois in 1996, and those are the four non conference games we have won on the road since our return to FBS.

Three wins in the 90s, one in the 00s, none so far in the 10s... I guess KRAM will say the good thing is we are overdue :)