Damn it's quiet in here

Harry

This is up for debate, sadly.

He could just be giving the guy every chance to succeed by letting him bring in some shady dudes as GAs & such, putting not only our basketball team at risk, but our athletics PROGRAM as a whole in jeopardy... something he could easily squash, if he wanted to.

And how 'bout the slow trickle from the AD around the character of the players who are leaving? That's not something that would come out unless you actually support the guy, right?

I think he does know Benford is a problem, but like with so many other things UNT athletic related, he defends a mistake to the end, closing his eyes and crossing his fingers that somehow, someway, Benford finds a way to turn it around (pretty much the same way he approaches football scheduling). Along the way, he will say anything and use any excuse, sadly including blaming and disparaging players in an attempt to provide excuses for coaching underperformance that any knowledgable basketball fan can easily see.

All because he knows he can't fire him until after year 4.

Just sad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

All because he knows he can't fire him until after year 4.

That's your problem right there. Nothing else matters. Thing is, you can't much lambast a sitting coach if you're the AD. That's even worse than pretending it was a great hire that's going to right the empty cupboards of the listing ship. I don't think it's RV's fault that he's constrained by finite dollars. Signing an unproven coach to five years, though. That I could give a wag of the finger to. It was five years, right?

That's your problem right there. Nothing else matters. Thing is, you can't much lambast a sitting coach if you're the AD. That's even worse than pretending it was a great hire that's going to right the empty cupboards of the listing ship. I don't think it's RV's fault that he's constrained by finite dollars. Signing an unproven coach to five years, though. That I could give a wag of the finger to. It was five years, right?

But what he doesn't have to do us blame players, which he has done (ever so slyly) on 2 different podcasts with Harry. That is pretty shameful.

• Upvote 1

Although FFR gave us several examples of coaches that were hired for less than five years, its fairly standard for a contract to be around that term. The five-year part isn't where I blame RV, nor is the $350k salary. It was hiring a guy who had never been a head coach before, was known as a "recruiter" (like Trilli was ), and was an alum of a big state P5 school in Texas. It was a lose-lose proposition to begin with. If he won big in that first year, there was zero doubt that he would ride Tony Mitchell into a job at his alma mater in Lubbock, with a huge contract we couldn't even come close to competing with ever. If he turned into a loser, which he did almost immediately, we are stuck for four years with a deadbeat that just kills off any progress we had slowly built up over the previous decade.

RV said he was going after experienced head coaches for open vacancies. Then he hires a guy who has never been a head coach before--which is basically what we have done for for football and basketball hires for the last 4 decades. Other than Fry and now McCarney, our football coaches were either assistant coaches in college or head coaches at high schools. In hoops, after Blakely left, we hired HS coaches in Tommy Newman and Jimmie Gales, as well as college assistant coaches in Jankovich, Trilli, Johnny Jones, and Tony Benford. Jankovich and Johnny Jones turned into solid coaches, while Trilli and Benford were terrible hires. When you figure that you could have gotten a coach like Steve Shields from UALR, Bob Marlin at ULL/SHSU, or Danny Kaspar at SFA (a UNT alum), it just makes you shake your head that we chose a Marquette recruiter, instead....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In hoops, after Blakely left, we hired HS coaches in Tommy Newman and Jimmie Gales, as well as college assistant coaches in Jankovich, Trilli, Johnny Jones, and Tony Benford. Jankovich and Johnny Jones turned into solid coaches, while Trilli and Benford were terrible hires. When you figure that you could have gotten a coach like Steve Shields from UALR, Bob Marlin at ULL/SHSU, or Danny Kaspar at SFA (a UNT alum), it just makes you shake your head that we chose a Marquette recruiter, instead....

Johnny did have experience as an interim head coach so there is that...

• Upvote 1

I'm really holding out hope that the extra cash flow from CUSA will allow us to end the Benford travesty after this season. I loved going to games when JJ was the coach. Even before we made it to the tourney. His teams were fun to watch, generally well coached, and you always felt like we had a chance to win. Even if we ended the season at .500.

Now there's about a million things I'd rather do than drive to Denton and watch a Benford team. If he were fired halfway through the season, I'd buy a season ticket that day.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why are people so compelled to tell us they are not supporting the team? We get it. It's OK. You have said your peace over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again. We get it. Good for you. So, why keep posting it here again and again and again? If you dislike the direction the team is going so much...great, your choice, but doing the look at me, look at me, look at me I hate the Coach in every BB thread is a beat down....and a big reason why it is so quiet in here....if of course Harry actually cared why.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Why are people so compelled to tell us they are not supporting the team? We get it. It's OK. You have said your peace over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again. We get it. Good for you. So, why keep posting it here again and again and again?

Was going to type out something kinda nasty, but I'll just say not everyone agrees with every post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Why are people so compelled to tell us they are not supporting the team? We get it. It's OK. You have said your peace over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again. We get it. Good for you. So, why keep posting it here again and again and again? If you dislike the direction the team is going so murch...great, your choice, but doing the look at me, look at me, look at me I hate the Coach in every BB thread is a beat down....and a big reason why it is so quiet in here....if of course Harry actually cared why.

Hopefully to affect change. Change that should have come after Benford year one. Change that is long overdue.

The quietness should be a huge concern, as it shows that people are starting not to care.

Sadly, that is the boat I am in.

There will be far less screaming in here when we go 4-12 or 5-11 in CUSA this year.

Because people:

Just

Don't

Care.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2