UNT off week notes, video (Dajon Video)

Harry

UNT didn’t have a conventional press conference today, but did make a host of players available this afternoon. The video at the top of this blog is of quarterback Dajon Williams and Darvin Kidsy discussing UNT’s win 77-3 win over Nicholls State on Saturday.

There were a couple of key news items that came down both before and after players stopped by to talk.

– First off, Kidsy was named Conference USA’s Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance in UNT’s win over Nicholls. Kidsy returned three punts for 132 yards and had a 75-yard return for a touchdown. It was the fourth-longest punt return for a touchdown so far this year in major college football and the sixth-longest punt return in UNT history.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/09/unt-off-week-notes-video.html/

Why he didn't start after the UT game is beyond me. Bench him a game for taking care of his personal business and missing practice to do so, but 3 games is unheard of. I think he really, really rubs Mac the wrong way with his what looks like nonchalant play. Not starting him after game 1 was a let down to the team, coaching staff, and fans. Not a doubt in my kind we aren't sitting here 3-1 if DW was named starter at UT, not one doubt.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Why he didn't start after the UT game is beyond me. Bench him a game for taking care of his personal business and missing practice to do so, but 3 games is unheard of. I think he really, really rubs Mac the wrong way with his what looks like nonchalant play. Not starting him after game 1 was a let down to the team, coaching staff, and fans. Not a doubt in my kind we aren't sitting here 3-1 if DW was named starter at UT, not one doubt.

Not sure we would have beaten la tech, but I think we would have been up at least 7-0 early second quarter. Probably more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kidsy showing up in the return game is huge. Having that threat back there is going to help us flip the field more often....which is going to lead to more opportunities for the offense.

Everyone wants to put the whole team on Dajon, and his development is extremely exciting, but looks like our special teams is starting to round into form.

• Upvote 2

I thought we had recently established that because of DW missing workouts and both scrimmages:

1) He was in a Mac doghouse

2) He was susceptible to injury

Did I misunderstand something, or are you just choosing to think DW is above being punished and could not possibly be injured?

• Upvote 3

Kidsey made it clear who he has confidence in running the offense and I'm sure the others feel the same, especially after this week. I really think DW will start taking it more serious, if he wasn't before, since he his the starter now. Will be great to see him start against a very good Indiana team, which is better than LaTech, and see what this team can do. Let's also remember he is just a redshirt Freshman, could be some growing pains but no doubt he is our best option

• Upvote 1

Not sure we would have beaten la tech, but I think we would have been up at least 7-0 early second quarter. Probably more.

I think we could've put LaTech away. The fact that our passing game wasn't clicking meant that LaTech's D just had to pin their ears back for the run. This meant a lot of short drives and drives that put the defense in poor field position.

I am sorry, I can't seem to cipher your point through the BS sarcasm.

OK, let's keep it simple then. DW didn't start immediately after the UT game because he wasn't ready to start. He was getting into shape, but not there yet. He was still learning the playbook, but had not yet. And because of those to facts, he was in both Coach Mac and Chico's doghouse.

It's not as though these are my opinion. Rather Coach Mac said this on his radio show and multiple people with connections to the team have confirmed this. Even DW has said he started to work harder, watch more film and generally take practice more seriously.

Starting requires a much larger base of knowledge and extended practice. If you are coming in late in the game, simply being talented can hide a lack of practice since there are far, far fewer chances to make a serious mistake. That is simply not true for a starter.

Dajon started when he had put in the work in order to be successful when he started. Not before!

OK, let's keep it simple then. DW didn't start immediately after the UT game because he wasn't ready to start. He was getting into shape, but not there yet. He was still learning the playbook, but had not yet. And because of those to facts, he was in both Coach Mac and Chico's doghouse.

It's not as though these are my opinion. Rather Coach Mac said this on his radio show and multiple people with connections to the team have confirmed this. Even DW has said he started to work harder, watch more film and generally take practice more seriously.

Starting requires a much larger base of knowledge and extended practice. If you are coming in late in the game, simply being talented can hide a lack of practice since there are far, far fewer chances to make a serious mistake. That is simply not true for a starter.

Dajon started when he had put in the work in order to be successful when he started. Not before!

DW faced far better talent "coming in late to a game" than he did in his lone start.

It is good that he performed well against both, but don't try to put the Nichols scrimmage above what he did against FBS competition in a blow out.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

DW faced far better talent "coming in late to a game" than he did in his lone start.

It is good that he performed well against both, but don't try to put the Nichols scrimmage above what he did against FBS competition in a blow out.

No one is disputing that Nichols and even La. Tech late was a first step in what will be a long process for a RS freshman new to college football. You would also have to be blind not to see the natural talents he possesses. How this will transfer to a better opponent remains to be seen.

Interesting side note, Nicholls beat NW State last season -- you know the team that just beat La. Tech...but looking at their record in Southland play well let's just say they are a pretty bad program.

Well if they only win six the bowl committee will call it a game. Smartass

You and your bowl committee have at it.

Reality was it was a tune up scrimmage for Indiana.

I don't know why this pisses you off so much. Think how much you would have loved for me to be saying this in, oh, 2008.

Ah, but that is the beauty of the Internet. There is no tone.

So... What does that say about you? <ninjaface>

You are kidding, right? All writing has tone.

1. Tone is the author's attitude toward the topic. The author's attitude is expressed through the words and details he or she selects. For example, textbooks are usually written with an objective tone which includes facts and reasonable explanations.

http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/toneterm.htm

I guess your response is indicative of why you are not good at it.

• Upvote 2