Disappointed

Poindexter

I have been watching something in the stands for a few weeks now… It appears, we have papa Greer close to our section and it is very interesting watching him over the last few weeks. The first two weeks, he was all into the game and would stand and cheer and support the mean green, but now we have made a QB change, he is not standing and/or even cheering for us at all (not one time) during 77 points. He only writes down things in a little green note book. I can see this taking place at a junior high game, but not a D-1 game. I witnessed him giving a few choice words to a true mean green fan about what he thought about him hollering at his son during the La Tech game. I understand why Greer has traveled around a bit now and he may be looking to make another move soon only time will tell. I don't know the kid, but the father seems to be a very self centered person.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 17

I met Dajon's father in the Kroger by my house. It was a couple weeks before the Texas game. He had a Texas tee shirt on and I with my Mean Green, I said to watch out for us because we could sneak up on the horns. Well it turns out his son play for North Texas. The point being. He is still a Texas fan but I am sure he roots for his son when he plays for us. I did what to give him my shirt though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being a parent in the stands is a bit trying at times no matter if its Jr High, High School , or D1 Football. And yes, comments from fans about you son can easily set you off, specially when you know he is having a rough go of it. Sitting in the parent section make it easier because everyone knows who is who and tend not go nuts on players performances, except good ones, then it's high fives all around (nod to Chief Warrrant Officer Byrd (US Army Retired) :thumbsup: .

Sitting in other sections with season tickets is a bit of a hazzard, because you will hear lots of arm chair quarterbacking, and if your son is a quarterback, that can be a problem. I never had that problem, but I know what Derek Thompson's mom and dad went through for three years. Let's just say I am glad my son played Defensive Tackle.

Give the guy a break. Unless he is being a total a$$ towards other fans, let him be. When your kids start playing sports, you will understand.

Good news for me then... my kid has absolutely no athletic talent what so ever.

• Upvote 6

Sat next to DT's parents and grandparents for 2 years, they are good people. We were always careful not to be too vocal about our criticism for Derek some games. I think the parents have it pretty rough because they are so emotionally invested in every game that their kid is playing in, it was pretty bad when Derek would go down with an injury seeing their reaction. I would give them a break, he sounds like a typical dad watching his son.

• Upvote 1

Agree with DT90. Expecting him not to primarily root for his son would be as unrealistic as expecting a random student to not root for the team and instead be concerned that Greer had his feelings hurt.

That being said, try not to be a jerk to anyone.

For the record I have been pushing Dajon to be the QB since he stepped on campus, but it doesn't mean he should be appointed the QB for the next 3.5 years. If Greer can put in the work and surpass him, then he should get the starts.

• Upvote 2

Even on here, criticism can be tricky. All football players should know that any criticism publicly broadcast, behind closed doors, wherever, is not intended to be a personal shot at them. Just their football play. Thing is, they are football players. It is often the biggest part of their identity and who they are. Criticizing them as football players may not be intended to be a shot at them personally, but I've felt what it's like to have someone criticize my play in high school on Facebook. And it's essentially impossible to not take it personally.

It is unfortunate that he couldn't bring himself to cheer for the rest of the team, but I can't imagine going through that situation.

Eh, I've had a few unintentional parental run-ins over the years. I've learned to never remark on any individual players ever because I never know who may be within earshot. Closest I'll ever get is asking, "Is that kid a starter?"

That said, I've also had parents approach me and start relentlessly trying to sell me on why their son should be the starter as if I'm some person with an influential voice or something. There has been an outbound transfer or two that I have not lamented.

• Upvote 1

Even on here, criticism can be tricky. All football players should know that any criticism publicly broadcast, behind closed doors, wherever, is not intended to be a personal shot at them. Just their football play. Thing is, they are football players. It is often the biggest part of their identity and who they are. Criticizing them as football players may not be intended to be a shot at them personally, but I've felt what it's like to have someone criticize my play in high school on Facebook. And it's essentially impossible to not take it personally.

Its not just them, but their Mom and Dad. Go back and read all the Derek Thompson threads over the past four years....

• Upvote 1

Being a parent in the stands is a bit trying at times no matter if its Jr High, High School , or D1 Football. And yes, comments from fans about you son can easily set you off, specially when you know he is having a rough go of it. Sitting in the parent section make it easier because everyone knows who is who and tend not go nuts on players performances, except good ones, then it's high fives all around (nod to Chief Warrrant Officer Byrd (US Army Retired) :thumbsup: .

Sitting in other sections with season tickets is a bit of a hazzard, because you will hear lots of arm chair quarterbacking, and if your son is a quarterback, that can be a problem. I never had that problem, but I know what Derek Thompson's mom and dad went through for three years. Let's just say I am glad my son played Defensive Tackle.

Give the guy a break. Unless he is being a total a$$ towards other fans, let him be. When your kids start playing sports, you will understand.

+1. This is all good to remember. Players want to be in the game, and players' parents want their kid (even if the "kid" is 22) in the game. Can't blame them, and can't avoid the hurt feelings, especially at the QB position. I will say that I seem to remember Mac, Chico, or both saying this year that the evaluation at QB would continue through the first few games. That seems to have been prescient.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

As I've gotten older I try very hard not to say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to that person's face. That goes for the stands, too. I'm far from perfect, but I try. I believe it's possible to be a die hard fan and not say derogatory things about our players.

As it should be. Those kids are out there risking major injuries and for the most part, doing the best that they can in a very competitive venue. If you want to be an a**hole, go to professional games, where it is a business and not just a group of youngster trying to live out a dream.

• Upvote 2

I won't be surprised to see Greer transfer at the end of the year, especially if Dajon cements himself as Starter. With Connor Means and Chumley coming in, combined with the pursuit of Florida's Riddle... I can't see Greer getting another shot unless he's last man standing and Mac doesn't want to burn Means' redshirt. I don't think Greer is a D-I QB. Let him excel at the D-IIA level. There's no shame in that - at least he gave it his best shot.

I think with DW we have a QB the "right" size to be a true dual-threat. If Riley was DW's size, I think he would have made a better fist of it then he did.

• Upvote 4

I won't be surprised to see Greer transfer at the end of the year, especially if Dajon cements himself as Starter. With Connor Means and Chumley coming in, combined with the pursuit of Florida's Riddle... I can't see Greer getting another shot unless he's last man standing and Mac doesn't want to burn Means' redshirt. I don't think Greer is a D-I QB. Let him excel at the D-IIA level. There's no shame in that - at least he gave it his best shot.

I think with DW we have a QB the "right" size to be a true dual-threat. If Riley was DW's size, I think he would have made a better fist of it then he did.

I loved Riley's heart and his football smarts, but he never had close to the arm of Dajon. He'll make a good coaching career for himself.

• Upvote 2

Even as a father he has to admit to himself that his son has been given every opportunity to be successful. My son was a good high school swimmer (could have been better if he worked harder at it) but I knew when he got his butt kicked and sometimes that is just the way it is. I always told him and will tell my grandson that no matter how good you are at anything there is always someone somewhere who is better.

• Upvote 2

Drives me crazy seeing alums sitting there not making a peep during the games.

We are on the Alum side, front row even and we are definitely making peeps the entire game. However, it is a bit annoying and disheartening when 5 minutes into the first quarter after we have already taken a huge lead we get cold water thrown on us by a "ticket nazi" who asks us to sit down and not lean on the concrete wall in front of us. I don't know who complained, if it was a complaint at all or what the deal was but I am not overly concerned there. standing up at a football game when you are kicking butt is what should be expected and that tradition of apathy here is something that needs to be addressed. I will keep doing my part by standing up and being loud, even though we do stick out in our area. Perhaps is might get some other people to stand up as well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2