Observations from watching the recording of yesterday's game

untcampbell

golfingomez observations of the game:

Last year Terrell came over after scoring a touchdown and slapped five with me... afterwards, Danny Mac let everyone know that we need to cut down on some of the nonsense after scoring a touchdown and act like we've been there before...

yesterday, Dajo almost immediately went to the fans and slapped some hands after the first touchdown... then on the wide open bomb, Harris came over and showed golfin some love... later in the game Kidsy got in on the act at the opposite end of the end zone...

either this act has started to gain some support from Mac, or we are going to have three players in the doghouse tomorrow during press conference/radio show

Not necessarily. I would say it depends on your offensive efficiency.

If my team is not scoring, then I am very very aware of how much time each team is spending with the ball.

If we're scoring at will then, yeah, it becomes less relevant.

On second thought, I think it still matters even if we're scoring every possession.

• Downvote 1

Brelan was down in Austin on the sideline and has was at the SMU and La Tech games.

Trice was at the SMU and La Tech games too. And is still a super cool dude.

I'm pretty sure I saw both there for the Nichols game.

I wish that the Syracus - Maryland game hadn't gone over so I could've seen the first 3 TDs again.

• Upvote 1

Time of Possession is the least important stat in football.

If you're a ball-control team, it's important. If you're a defensive-minded team it's also pretty important because it's more time spent on the field. But, if you're a quick-strike team and the opposition is not strong where you can do a lot of rotation of players on defense, then it's definitely inconsequential.

• Upvote 2

If you're a ball-control team, it's important. If you're a defensive-minded team it's also pretty important because it's more time spent on the field. But, if you're a quick-strike team and the opposition is not strong where you can do a lot of rotation of players on defense, then it's definitely inconsequential.

Time of possession is still a goofy way of measuring it. If an offense runs 6 plays and takes 4 minutes off the clock doing it, does it really take a bigger toll on the opposing defense than a no-huddle/hurry-up offense that will run 6 plays in less than 2 minutes? I'd say the 2nd is far more wearing on a defense.

• Upvote 2

I guess I was more amazed that 77 points can be scored with less than 20 minutes of offense....obviously we scored often with out the offense being involved.

Last year and against SMU this year, I couldn't wait to see what our defense did. Last year, that wasn't a knock on our offense as much as what our defense/special teams could do.

I greatly anticipated every play of the game against Nicholls. Just a joy to watch from opening kickoff to final cannon.

GMG

Time of possession is a by-product of offensive and defensive efficiency. As you could see in our first two offensive drives and our first defensive participation, we were hyper-efficient. Six offensive plays got us two touchdowns and a bundle of yards. One defensive play and we had the ball back.

Yards-per-play matter more than time-had-the-ball. Much like in soccer where possession stats are grossly over-valued vs shot supremacy (shots taken vs allowed) it is far better to focus on what teams do with the possession. In the case of our turn-based gridiron football, it also matters what we do with our defensive turns as well.

Whereas we can use possession in an overall strategy to increase efficiency, as was mentioned, it is far more effective to practice the blocking, tackling, and other direct football-y stuff.

• Upvote 2