San Antonio forward Tony Lewis talks visit to UNT

Harry

A .187 winning pct. Still not the worst in the major men's sports in recent years.

True, but I mean the longer the season, the more likely you'll win a game here and there. Are you really gonna say that the worst baseball teams are always that much better than the worst basketball, hockey, or football teams? No...they just have more chances to win and will surely break through at some point.

• Upvote 1

The problem was he did it with some damn good talent.

Chris Davis - HOF player for Johnny Jones

Deginald Erskin - Transferred to UT and became a starter

Jason Miller - Transferred to Oklahoma State and became a very reliable backup

Kenneth Mangrum - Outstanding Juco player at McLennan CC; now coaching at UTA

D. J. Tennell - Among the leading scorers in Dallas averaging more than 30 points per game

Wes Allen - Highest rated guard in the Panhandle

Unjel Masters - Among the better centers in DFW as a high school senior

Kyle Crawford

Sam Funches

Calvin Williams

I cringe everytime I think of what JJ might have done with all of these players Johnny tried to keep Erskin and Miller but they had had enough. Tennell flew the coop before the end of his first season. What a great triad of scorers that could have been.

• Upvote 2

The problem was he did it with some damn good talent.

Chris Davis - HOF player for Johnny Jones

Deginald Erskin - Transferred to UT and became a starter

Jason Miller - Transferred to Oklahoma State and became a very reliable backup

Kenneth Mangrum - Outstanding Juco player at McLennan CC; now coaching at UTA

D. J. Tennell - Among the leading scorers in Dallas averaging more than 30 points per game

Wes Allen - Highest rated guard in the Panhandle

Unjel Masters - Among the better centers in DFW as a high school senior

Kyle Crawford

Sam Funches

Calvin Williams

I cringe everytime I think of what JJ might have done with all of these players Johnny tried to keep Erskin and Miller but they had had enough. Tennell flew the coop before the end of his first season. What a great triad of scorers that could have been.

Was Will Smith not on that team?

I always thought Unjel Masters was better than the credit our fans gave him.

Don't believe so. Will Smith attended in 88 and 89 I believe. One of the best post head fakes ever witnessed at the PEB.

Ah wait, i found it. Will Smith was on the 2000-2001 roster. I thought he was a good role player. Didn't do too much his first year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-texas/2001.html

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

Ah wait, i found it. Will Smith was on the 2000-2001 roster. I thought he was a good role player. Didn't do too much his first year.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/north-texas/2001.html

What the what??? Who the hell am I thinking of, then.

EDIT: there were 2 Will Smiths. One that played on the 1988 NCAA team and one that played in 2001.

Will Smith from 1988 attended high school in the Mansfield area and had a tremendous head fake that would get you off your feet even when you knew it was coming.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

I don't remember the team's name, but a Trilli team had a late comeback to nip a non-scholarship team in the SP. This game was viewed by Gene Stallings who NT had hired as a consultant and he was not kind with his review of the basketball program.

Trilli was very vocal and was a great salesman, and I think probably a better coach than he ever showed. He had young talent at the beginning but the oc schedule was completely insane and the Big West was a much better basketball conference than many realized. After getting pulverized in his second and third year, he almost couldn't give a scholarship away. However, his first year IMO was one of the most shameful moments in NT sports history. His first team, all Jank's recruits really played their heart out and only a couple had their ships renewed by Trilli. As it turned out, it was obvious that some of the players forced out of the program were just as good as the ones Trilli recruited and the team he dismantled was as good as any he would ever put together.

• Upvote 1