George Dunham’s epic radio rant on his hatred of SMU

Harry

george-dunham.jpg

There might not be a more rabid North Texas supporter than George Dunham.

Dunham, one half of the “Dunham & Miller” show on SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket, is a UNT graduate and the voice of the Mean Green. His son Blake is a senior deep snapper at UNT.

Part of Dunham’s duties with UNT is appearing on head coach Dan McCarney’s weekly radio show on Monday night.

UNT plays the Mustangs at 11 a.m. on Saturday, which led to Dunham going on a rant about his feelings about SMU.

McCarney has said throughout the offseason and the buildup the game that the UNT-SMU game that the schools are not rivals in football, largely because the Mustangs have dominated the series. The Mustangs edge stands at 28-4-1 heading into this year’s showdown at Apogee Stadium.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/09/george-dunhams-epic-radio-rant-on-his-hatred-of-smu.html/

This post has been promoted to an article

I just really don't get the hatred. It isn't sports related. If it were public school vs private school related, why don't we hate TCU just as much?

It just doesn't make any sense.

No hate from my end. I only started following SMU when I started in 07 so the UNT game was the only game I have known.

My best friend went to UNT so I can't do any blanket hate if I tried.

• Upvote 1

No hate from my end. I only started following SMU when I started in 07 so the UNT game was the only game I have known.

My best friend went to UNT so I can't do any blanket hate if I tried.

No, I was speaking of some UNT oldtimers' hatred of SMU.

SMU couldn't care one way or the other about UNT.

No, I was speaking of some UNT oldtimers' hatred of SMU.

SMU couldn't care one way or the other about UNT.

In their delusional minds they don't…but deep down inside they're threatened by UNT on the Football field. They'll never admit it. But why do you think they've tried so hard to pull as many political strings as possible to keep their distance. They know that should UNT and SMU be in the same conference for example, UNT will crush SMU due to shear size. You said it yourself in another thread…look at the members of this board vs Ponyfans. Look at their pathetic attendance. They've never had any support, from alumni, the city of Dallas, etc. The only thing they supposedly have is $$ and political clout. They've never had any substance….EVER in their football program. EVER They're known by who they were associated with….even though they've never done anything on their own. I think that's where a lot of the hatred comes from. The only time in modern history they've sniffed real success on the football field was a 4 year period in the '80s and everyone knows how they did that. That's their legacy. Cheating. Wanting to belong so bad they'll do anything to get there. Spend spend spend. It's actually pathetic when you think about it. I would care less about their sad state but in the process….some of their fans look down at a school like UNT when they've never earned the right to do that. That's what bothers me...

SMU is a fantastic school. Elite academically. But in football, they know put us on an even playing field, in the same conference, they can't compete with UNT. They have to keep working as hard as they can behind the scenes to make sure something like that never happens. Some will read this and laugh….maybe post it over there with a: "Can you believe this? A UNT grad thinks we're threatened by them. pfft!" But deep down inside they know they are.

And now they're panicking once again because they threw $2 million per year at a coach that may or may not even want to be there, $2 MILLION PER YEAR!!….and now their money can't buy them out of this mess. I cannot believe they agreed to a 10 year deal with UNT. I would say UNT will go 7-3 or 8-2 in the next 10 years vs SMU. They're about to hit a down period after they fire June and have to rebuild. They will start this season 0-6 or 1-5. They'll miss a bowl game again. Then what do they do? Fire a coach they just gave an extension? If he comes back next year, they'll miss a bowl game again as they continue down that spiral. What a freaking mess they are….

And they are crying about it. And reaching back for the stupid "barista" comments and the ridiculous "I've never met a UNT grad." Which that statement in itself lends to the stereotype they hate: "Spoiled little trust fund kids that never get out of their bubble." Because if you've never met a UNT grad in a city with 100,000+ of them then you're daddy's not letting you out of his limo. That whole thing is stupid and supports their reputation as they act like entitled brats.

So…….Not to speak for old-timers……..but maybe that's where some of the hatred comes from.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1