$mu Down 31-0 at Halftime

elig57

I was about to point out this light at the end of our butt-tunnel too. Baylor has had the 2nd and 3rd string in for the entire second half, and SMU still has yet to score (or stop Baylor from scoring). So even if our QB situation is as dismal as UT made it seem, we may still be in decent enough shape to come out of the OOC games at least 2-2.

Far superior? It was obvious that the Baylor starting QB was playing hurt, and nobody has claimed that the Texas front 7, which I don't think we got past for many plays, wasn't tough.

Yes, far superior. UT has talent, but Baylor, along with OU, is the class of the Big XII. Strong is still trying to cobble together something that might be competitive with those teams by the end of the season.

Baylor's 2nd and 3rd string held them to 28 total yards in the second half and outscored them 14-0. If Baylor's 3rd string is far superior to Texas' 1st string (which inexplicably stayed in for most of the game), then the Big 12 shouldn't be much of a race for them. Guess we'll have some more answers on Saturday to be sure....

I guess some people saw Matt Davis making "some" good plays, but I just came back to watching the game when he was basically going backward. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see us having some excuses for laying an egg against SMU based on the "far superior" competition they've faced, or the "concerning" potential of Matt Davis. Hell, we've got to quit trying to say it's too much to expect that we could beat them. Honestly, I think we should beat them, and I'll be pissed at our coaching staff if we don't.

I guess some people saw Matt Davis making "some" good plays, but I just came back to watching the game when he was basically going backward. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see us having some excuses for laying an egg against SMU based on the "far superior" competition they've faced, or the "concerning" potential of Matt Davis. Hell, we've got to quit trying to say it's too much to expect that we could beat them. Honestly, I think we should beat them, and I'll be pissed at our coaching staff if we don't.

I'm not sure where you got all that. I didn't say anything about what we should expect this coming Saturday. I was just responding to the O.P.'s claim that SMU was in worse shape than we were last night; and adjusting for the level of competition, I'm not so sure.

Oh we should beat them. We can't place soft in the secondary all game like Skladany likes to do bc they will nickel and dime us to death. We will need to play a little press with the corners and blitz. This will limit room for dink and dunk throws SMU likes to do and the pressure will take away the threat of throwing it over our heads during press. If we come out in soft coverage this game that shouldn't be close, will be. Their D line looked undersized like ours, but without any tenacity. They were getting mauled. LHN commentators were at least giving our D line props throughout the entire game. The Baylor commentators said nothing of such about SMU's D line. Press the receivers and blitz and we will run them out of the building of a final score of 3-0.

Edited by Ben Gooding

93-98, to me the whole "Texas has been sucking lately" argument was to a large extent an accurate perception of the lack of discipline being enforced by the previous regime, probably to the extent that he did "lose the team". To me, they seem to have made the right hire, and "surprise, surprise, surprise", there is still plenty of talent down there, probably some of whom were glad to see the arrival of a new sheriff. Is anybody saying that Texas took the pedal off the gas last night, with the possible exception of letting time run out at the end with a minute or so left? To me, it would have indicated that Briles was trying to run up the score if he had gone for it instead of running that questionable FG kicker out there for what, 3 missed attempts? Of course, your kicking game needs work, but if the opponents fans are almost to a man saying that Baylor was "taking it easy", why shouldn't I believe them? Yeah, Baylor will be tough. I also think Texas will be tough.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

They're playing a far superior opponent to the one we faced last night.

Check yourself. Texas isn't coached by Mack Brown anymore.

When Texas hired Strong, I posted that he would have Texas in the Big 12 title hunt in his first season. People scoffed because...well. there are many people here who think football strategy is easy because they can do it on Madden or NCAA by EA Sports.

The truth is, Charlie Strong is a legitimate ball breaker. Baylor, as well as the rest of the Big 12, will be sorry that he ever ventured into their conference and replaced the Handclapper in Chief.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 2