Wondering....

SSP

How many people on here actually thought that we were going to win this game? And what would give you any indication that that would've been a possibility?

It was very obvious that our quarterback was extremely nervous. It's Texas.... Every HS athlete in the state wants to be recruited by Texas. I was intimidated by their Tailgates so I think it's only natural for a JC transfer quarterback who has only been named the starting quarterback for less than a week- show nerves. So enough with the "he's not a leader and he's a pathetic quarterback". That was not the same quarterback that played in the spring game. He did play pathetic but his performance wasn't entirely his fault- The snaps were very low and he didn't have a whole lot of time to read the progressions. That being said- when he did throw the ball, it looked like he had a broken thumb. (I heard multiple people asking if he was hurt in the stands. ). And he stares down his poor receivers. He also made a couple of other really stupid mistakes. Our O

LINE could not hold that defense. Texas' front 4- dear Lord. We won't play a defense that's nearly that good again. (Even at a bowl). I THINK IT'S A GIVEN- we are not At the same caliber of talent as Texas. I was frankly a little perturbed that Texas didn't perform better with getting some of the best recruits in our state (except this year). There were multiple first round draft picks on that field and the starters played the entire game. I thought that spoke volumes about what they thought about us. When you don't play your backup quarterback in a $$$$ game.....

I don't feel like we got blown out even though we clearly did. It was clear that Texas wanted to run up the score as much as possible so it could've been a lot worse with the way that our offense played . There was one touchdown that was pretty much given to them by the officials. 1 was a pick 6.

Our defense- is easily the best defense in our conference. They should give Skladany a raise.

Our offense- I don't think anybody can really say right now. they were clearly shut down last night. But that was inevitable. If anyone wasnt expecting for Charlie Strong to bring a strong defensive team with the level of athletes he has to work with- you're crazy.

I don't know how much anyone can project right now.

I do however think that instead of worrying about this season being in the toilet- A more legitimate concern is how we did last night with injuries and how much do we need to pay Skladany to make sure he stays at North Texas....?

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Agree with all...except the multiple first rounder comments. Simply not true at this point at Texas. Give it a year or two and development under a capable coaching staff...and then yes.

Our defense is good. Although we will face better offenses for sure. It's all about getting the QB right and adjusting the schemes accordingly.

No, I honestly did not think we were going to be win. But I did think we were going to be relatively competitive. Did I think we were going to have more than 94 total yards? Hell yes. Did I think that we would have 4 picks? Hell no. Not in this offense. We threw 17 times and we got picked 4 times. Their secondary literally caught more of our passes than our own receivers did. The pressure was not that bad, so I dont know where you are getting that from. When he was pressured he was sacked...so 4 times if I remember correctly. These were high school type over/underthrows. Balls were skipping to our WR's. I would have turned a blind eye if it happened a couple times, but it was consistent. It was that or an overthrow. We ran the ball 72% of our offensive plays and threw 4 interceptions. I hear what you're saying and I agree with us probably not playing a better D for the remainder of the year. But let's not act like our Oline was getting thrown to the wayside and our QB was getting bullrushed every pass attempt, because that was not the case at all. The case was that our QB situation is looking pitiful. I said this earlier, but 40-50 high schools in the state of Texas could have went into DKR last night and threw for 15 yards. Let's right the ship this week, but let's not make excuses for a piss poor performance. It was bad, and again, I truly think play calling played a detrimental role into how bad the performance was. Either way, GMG and I'll still be there for every home game and San Antone regardless of the outcomes because that's how I roll. GMG

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2

When none of our quarterbacks can throw the damn ball and our running backs are getting SLAMMED- (I bet they are in serious pain today)

Where do you go from there?

I completely agree with an earlier post in regards to last year- it's debatable if our offense ever truly showed up last year. The games we lost last year were because our defense had an off day and our offense was terrible. The games that we won where because our defense destroyed the other team, our special teams was explosive and our offense played average- slightly above average. We at least had someone to take care of the football 75% of the time though....

That said- Why would you expect that? No one expected that with Derek Thompson at the beginning of last year and now we have his back up playing...

Edited by SSP

Well if you're asking I would tell my offensive line and my two bowling ball of running backs to tighten their chin straps. I would power the living hell out of SMU with traps, kickouts, counters, overload pulling guards, misdirection, etc. I would keep Greer as my starter and I would work on flat routes with motioned TE/H-backs and throw off of play action to them after pounding SMU up and down the field. When Greer gets comfortable this upcoming week or the next I would implement some TE seam routes or deep posts to WR's or weak side HB screens out of play action. I would have a safety valve on every single passing play. Granted we will not be able to do everything play action, I will put a strong effort into the power run game and PA. With our D and inexperience/lack of talent at QB this is the best recipe to win. This shotgun garbage has to go right now because our QB's aren't ready for that, at all. That's where I would go from here. If McCarney is looking for some outside help give him my info, I'll be here all year. GMG

• Upvote 1

I basically agree with SSP except that I still think if we had average QB play we were in that game. I was expecting average QB play and I was terribly wrong. I do think that the issue was nerves, pressure, bad snaps, and not an issue of talent on Greer's part (McNulty is a good athlete and a smart player but he can't throw).

If Greer can figure out the nerves issue, I think we will have a very good year because our D is really good, and our running game and ST will be pretty tough. But if we can't get servicable QB play it will be really tough.

At this point I still trust these coaches to get it working.

Beat SMU

• Upvote 3

How about the third QB who travelled?

I actually did ask this question at the game. And agree that we didn't really have a whole lot to lose at that point . But- he's not any better. I would've put Connor in before him but they couldn't do that because that would be burning his redshirt.

Connor has been given a lot more reps in scrimmages from what I've seen. I think it was the first scrimmage that I didn't even see DW go in once.

Edited by SSP

Well if you're asking I would tell my offensive line and my two bowling ball of running backs to tighten their chin straps. I would power the living hell out of SMU with traps, kickouts, counters, overload pulling guards, misdirection, etc. I would keep Greer as my starter and I would work on flat routes with motioned TE/H-backs and throw off of play action to them after pounding SMU up and down the field. When Greer gets comfortable this upcoming week or the next I would implement some TE seam routes or deep posts to WR's or weak side HB screens out of play action. I would have a safety valve on every single passing play. Granted we will not be able to do everything play action, I will put a strong effort into the power run game and PA. With our D and inexperience/lack of talent at QB this is the best recipe to win. This shotgun garbage has to go right now because our QB's aren't ready for that, at all. That's where I would go from here. If McCarney is looking for some outside help give him my info, I'll be here all year. GMG

I was actually referring to Texas. Not SMU.
  • Upvote 2

When none of our quarterbacks can throw the damn ball and our running backs are getting SLAMMED- (I bet they are in serious pain today)

Where do you go from there?

I completely agree with an earlier post in regards to last year- it's debatable if our offense ever truly showed up last year. The games we lost last year were because our defense had an off day and our offense was terrible. The games that we won where because our defense destroyed the other team, our special teams was explosive and our offense played average- slightly above average. We at least had someone to take care of the football 75% of the time though....

That said- Why would you expect that? No one expected that with Derek Thompson at the beginning of last year and now we have his back up playing...

I'm more interested in finding out, how we got in this kind of position in the first place. This is Mac's fouth season. Why haven't we been able to develop a QB to replace DT?

Our defense played well enough to keep the game respectable. I think probably 17 of Texas' point were a direct result of our lack of a passing game and throwing interceptions.

• Upvote 2

He's not any better.

DW is better than minimac. He showed us that in the Idaho game where DW went 5/6 and led a scoring drive and minimac... threw an int.

Is he better than Greer? I don't know, I still have hope that Greer will turn into a solid to good QB. But I know that YESTERDAY, Greer was clearly shook, and Dajon has FOR SURE had at least one better game than he ever did. Why not give him a series and see if he can move the chains. The QB's had time at least some of the time the QBs had time to throw and then threw an inaccurate pass.

Why not give DW a shot? I am not saying he should have started at UT, or should start vs SMU, but why the hell not allow him a chance when the other QBs were hopeless.

• Upvote 1

I basically agree with SSP except that I still think if we had average QB play we were in that game. I was expecting average QB play and I was terribly wrong. I do think that the issue was nerves, pressure, bad snaps, and not an issue of talent on Greer's part (McNulty is a good athlete and a smart player but he can't throw).

If Greer can figure out the nerves issue, I think we will have a very good year because our D is really good, and our running game and ST will be pretty tough. But if we can't get servicable QB play it will be really tough.

At this point I still trust these coaches to get it working.

Beat SMU

This.

I actually did ask this question at the game. And agree that we didn't really have a whole lot to lose at that point . But- he's not any better. I would've put Connor in before him but they couldn't do that because that would be burning his redshirt.

Connor has been given a lot more reps in scrimmages from what I've seen. I think it was the first scrimmage that I didn't even see DW go in once.

I think you're wrong.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

DW is better than minimac. He showed us that in the Idaho game where DW went 5/6 and led a scoring drive and minimac... threw an int.

Is he better than Greer? I don't know, I still have hope that Greer will turn into a solid to good QB. But I know that YESTERDAY, Greer was clearly shook, and Dajon has FOR SURE had at least one better game than he ever did. Why not give him a series and see if he can move the chains. The QB's had time at least some of the time the QBs had time to throw and then threw an inaccurate pass.

Why not give DW a shot? I am not saying he should have started at UT, or should start vs SMU, but why the hell not allow him a chance when the other QBs were hopeless.

Not from what I've seen this year. I thought that he was pretty darn good when I saw him vs Idaho also. I really don't know what happened but he doesn't look like the same player.

I'm sure there's a story here.

I agree and I wish they would've at least given him an attempt. We are obviously missing information.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

I think they are less concerned about why not and more concerned about him earning it. He has had ample time to show what he has during the spring and hasn't earned the job. Can't set a tone that you'll play someone who hasn't even bothered to learn the play book.

• Upvote 2

I agree and I wish they would've at least given him an attempt. We are obviously missing information.

Missing Information does not equal A Good Reason. All i know is I saw the worse passing game i have ever seen, including pop warner, at Texas and it completely killed any chance of making it a competitive game. Since I don't have any good explanation, I am going to reserve the right to judge the coaching staff on it.

• Upvote 2

I think they are less concerned about why not and more concerned about him earning it. He has had ample time to show what he has during the spring and hasn't earned the job. Can't set a tone that you'll play someone who hasn't even bothered to learn the play book.

I would have sent a kid from the stands into the game if I thought he could hit our recievers.

• Upvote 2

I am really tired of this innuendo. You don't know that. If I am wrong go ahead and post proof.

No one knows what he did, if he did anything.

You are correct I have no definitive proof, but that's what the word through the grapevine was. Maybe I'm wrong, but would that coupled with what we have seen on his offseason workout reports not provide some explanation? I really don't think they have it out for him or it's some conspiracy, like I said he just hasn't earned the job evidentially.