For those of you who taped the UT game

Harry

When you get a chance to review it I would be interested in what you see on a second look.

When I get back to Dallas I am going to rewatch it and will share my thoughts as well. I am in particular going to watch the o-line as I am thinking they might have had an impact on the QB play with the snaps and missed blocks etc...

When you get a chance to review it I would be interested in what you see on a second look.

When I get back to Dallas I am going to rewatch it and will share my thoughts as well. I am in particular going to watch the o-line as I am thinking they might have had an impact on the QB play with the snaps and missed blocks etc...

Re-watched it this morning. That's where I got my non QB observations from. A lot of good take aways

Could only watch the 1st half but some observations.

1. The offensive line was a mess the 1st two series.
  2. Greer was very nervous but the offensive line didn't help him. Sorry but a superstar (which was/is our offensive line) put a team on it's back and they didn't do that.
  3. The 3rd snap at Greers knees sent him into a downward spiral. But the interception he threw right at the LB on the slant was just him not seeing what was happening in the game. He got benched right after that which I have no idea how that would help his confidence.
  4. The defense played very well the 1st quarter and a half but 4 things deflated them.
    1. Wade's late hit that extended the drive
    2. Ash made a great play to avoid the blitz and complete a big pass.
    3. The speed of Gray on two plats, the spin move in the backfield and then getting around the edge on a big run.
    4. Field position because of the offense.
  5. We had receivers open.
  6. Saw a lot of young players getting playing time early. Sid Moore, Tillman Johnson, Flusche, Watson, Ivery, SImpson.

Overall the defense impressed especially being so young and replacing so many players. Offense, well OLine dissapointed, They needed to do something early to settle the team down and did not. When we had to throw it was the a QB mess.

• Upvote 1

Could only watch the 1st half but some observations.

• The offensive line was a mess the 1st two series.
  • Greer was very nervous but the offensive line didn't help him. Sorry but a superstar (which was/is our offensive line) put a team on it's back and they didn't do that.
  • The 3rd snap at Greers knees sent him into a downward spiral. But the interception he threw right at the LB on the slant was just him not seeing what was happening in the game. He got benched right after that which I have no idea how that would help his confidence.
  • The defense played very well the 1st quarter and a half but 4 things deflated them.

• Wade's late hit that extended the drive
    • Ash made a great play to avoid the blitz and complete a big pass.
    • The speed of Gray on two plats, the spin move in the backfield and then getting around the edge on a big run.
    • Field position because of the offense.
  • We had receivers open.
  • Saw a lot of young players getting playing time early. Sid Moore, Tillman Johnson, Flusche, Watson, Ivery, SImpson.
Overall the defense impressed especially being so young and replacing so many players. Offense, well OLine dissapointed, They needed to do something early to settle the team down and did not. When we had to throw it was the a QB mess.

He got benched after 5 series of not being able to complete a pass and settle down. It was needed and wasn't premature!! You can't pin this on the O-Line, please stop with the non-sense

• Downvote 3

I would like confirmation on something I got texted a lot last night: my beard and I looking glum on LHN.

gallery_35327_191_168109.jpg

Also everyone, take note, that President Smatresk is right there two rows in front of our bearded friend. That's pretty awesome that he sat out there with everyone instead of up in the suites. That's pretty damn cool.

Edited by TheWestie
  • Upvote 3

He got benched after 5 series of not being able to complete a pass and settle down. It was needed and wasn't premature!! You can't pin this on the O-Line, please stop with the non-sense

Actually, pretty sure Mac was putting a good bit of it on the O-line. He said it was several things - poor O-line play, dropped passes and missing open receivers. I am not stating my opinion there, just what I heard Mac say.

• Upvote 1

MGH missed one thing about the defense...they did so well but after a while, only having 30 seconds of rest between series will cause them to get a bit more fatigued. With the offense going 3-and-out all but 3 times, the D was on the field for way too much of the game and when you add in all of the other factors, like field position, well...you can't have a Stand like last year's Rice game on every series if those series are less than a minute apart and the Horns only need one first down to get into the red zone.

Oh, while people are giving things a second look, can you tell me exactly why Mac had Greer kneel on the ball on 3rd down? I assumed it was because we were so far ahead that he wanted to just run the clock down...but of course one can't be too sure about these things.

Our defense is going to be really good. Even though the defensive line is smaller, they were not getting pushed off the line by the much larger Texas O-line. The rotation of players kept the players as fresh as possible and I was impressed at how our defense did not appear overly fatigued. The Wintrich strength and conditioning program appears to be excellent and will pay off. I feel really good about our defense and special teams. My only concern on special teams is will we have the big play ability we had with Brelan. To restate the obvious, QB play was poor with terrible passing accuracy. It's hard to tell what our WRs and TEs will be able to do with so little to evaluate based on the poor throws, but if our QBs can improve their accuracy, which I believe they will (at least to an average level), I think we will be ok at the receiver spot. RBs will be strong with better o-line play and a better passing game. Our o-line will be a strength this year, but they were only fair last night against superior athletes and under constant blitzing. They did not keep the pocket open as long as they did last year (even against Georgia, if memory serves me correct). They struggled to get holes open for the RBs. Canales found more success when he had the offense start running outside veers to stretch the defense and allow for a little more running room (in the 4th quarter). I think the team will be fine after they take their learnings from this weekend and move on and get a fresh start next week against a much more evenly matched SMU team. Go Mean Green!!!

• Upvote 2

gallery_35327_191_168109.jpg

Also everyone, take note, that President Smatresk is right there two rows in front of our bearded friend. That's pretty awesome that he sat out there with everyone instead of up in the suites. That's pretty damn cool.

Really?

Really.

Finally! Post-TD celebration w/ @UNTPrez. He then called out the Longhorn cannon squad. So good. #GMG pic.twitter.com/uyhGOL2mAc

— Christopher Walker (@fussbudgets)

August 31, 2014
  • Upvote 2