A UT Fan's Perspective On Upcoming UNT Game

LongJim

"A few things here, if you're curious what we're likely to see on Saturday. I didn't do a huge statistical breakdown, but as usual I did dig into the team enough to develop some expectations and help me chart the game (if I'm able).

1. Their offense was driven by a smart, senior QB and pretty decent running game. That QB has moved on and the JUCO QB behind him has some talent but isn't expected to be as good by the end of the season and will be very green running their offense on Saturday.

2. I actually think their OL and DL play, last year, was a huge driver in their success. That coach really got those guys to play at a higher level than you would expect.

The OL and running game will give our defensive front a decent opening test. But their DL lost a lot of seniors and there's a very good chance that we could run for a lot of yards against them if we can bottle up their LB (a talented returning player).

3. They were pretty good last year at forcing turnovers. If we get sloppy that could cause some trouble.

4. Their passing game attacks the flat and midfield a lot, with RBs and TEs releasing into open areas. Lots of misdirection. A fair amount of power formations.

5. They didn't run much up-tempo and will likely use most of the play clock.

6. Their secondary are not particularly fast or capable. Not bad, but it wasn't their strength. In fact, they gave up a lot of plays until they got into the redzone and the defense compressed, allowing the front 7 to play a bigger role in stopping plays.

7. The things that they really leaned on to win so much last year, well, much of that is changed this year. Their defensive front was wiped away, and their capable team-leader QB has moved on. They'll try to run the ball a lot, and they'll be breaking in the JUCO QB so I'd expect a lot of misdirection runs, some power formations, and short screen plays that exploit our defenses' (anticipated) aggressiveness. I'd also expect to see this JUCO QB try and test our young secondary players early. If he finds softness, we could see more long passes out of them than you'd think looking at their play last year.

Assuming we can perform capably against those early long balls tests, I think we will see a much more imbalanced offense from them on Saturday than they played last year. I'll guess 5 out of every 7 plays will be in that run/screen/hot read theme.

8. Hicks, as the MLB, will need to be keyed to both his primary run duties as well as to showing patience in reading the screens. If he does that, it could be a very long day for their offense.

Wrap up:
I'd put them in the West Virginia/ Iowa State category of teams this year--generally well-coached teams with average talent that can certainly beat you if you don't take them seriously, but mostly they'll be a danger if you help them beat you.

This is not the same team as last year, and they won't be nearly as good by all indications. But some of their success was the product of improved coaching and those things will still be there.

We need to be careful not to turn it over. We need to shove the ball right down their throats with Brown and Gray and wear that inexperienced front seven down. That will open up our passing game and as inexperienced as we may be in WR depth, Shipley, Harris, and Johnson are not guys you want to give too much room to..."

• Upvote 7

If you are curious- this is how Texas looks at our game. A little curiosity.

The real game is the following week with BYU then, UCLA. Texas believes they will be 3-0!

All I read is how superior their Offense and how superior their Defense is against us.

Average talent levels! Man the tea sippers cannot see the forest for the trees!

These guys are blind and live off illusions of grandeur!

I know the Mean Green will play hard, and grab the win right under their snobby noses!

Not bad. Did he say we don't expect Greer to be better than DT by the end of the year? Really?

Be prepared to be disappointed.

Unless you think Greer will throw for 260 in a bowl and be named MVP.

DT will be missed by game 5, if not before.

And this isn't a knock on Greer at all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless you think Greer will throw for 260 in a owl and be named MVP.

And I hope you and others will be comparing Josh to sophomore DT not 5th year senior DT.

And I hope you and others will be comparing Josh to sophomore DT not 5th year senior DT.

I won't be comparing him at all, as I think it is VERY unfair to expect 5th year senior production from a QB who has never taken an FBS snap.

Some think he will be better. I guess it isnt their fault. They are simply drunk on the preseason koolaid.

I hope Greer keeps the rookie mistakes to a minimum and can make some plays in the passing game. Those are the only expectations I have. Anything else is sweet, tasty brown gravy.

Unless you think Greer will throw for 260 in a bowl and be named MVP.

Nice job of cherry picking one of DT's game. Why don't we just pick DT's game against Tulane or his game against Troy in Macs second season or any number of other dud games.