Official Texas Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

It's game week y'all!

Put your predictions down here so you can say "told you so" when UNT shocks the world, or, the sky falls.

Getting ready for the Stronghorns who are taking on a new identity, 180o different than Mack's. This has led to some struggles over the offseason, and some examples made. UT will need to be fully bought-in on 8/31, or they'll be in for a long day against a UNT team who HAS bought-in to Mac's philosophy.

My predictions:

Look for some 'vanilla' offense from UT, relying on their strength of some road-graders, and fantastic RBs. They're going to test our small-but-fast DL and our LBs abilities to fill gaps, or get to the outside.

Look for a 'vanilla' defensive scheme from UT as well, relying on their DL to get enough penetration so their LBs don't need to blitz.

Basic man & zone coverages. Don't want to show BYU too much, right? That is, unless UNT makes things interesting...

Hopefully UNT is not too conservative on offense, but also, rely on your strength (great OL & different RBs) to move the chains and chew up clock. Hopefully turnovers are minimal (1 or less).

Defense will be swarming. I think it will be faster than UT is expecting. In this case, our guys need to stay disciplined and not bite too hard on screens, play actions, or hard snap counts.

In the end, it's going to be too much Gray/Brown and the Longhorns wear down the undersized UNT defense late in the 2nd half... but, like our game in Athens last year, not before a fight.

UNT - 17

UT - 34

• Upvote 1

HOD Champions 28
Oregon's whipping boys 24

Edit: now that I know we will have BIG XII-2 refs I want to throw out the caveat that if the refs are really bad, we likely won't win. I think more likely than not they will be OK. They can't get away with the stuff they did in 1988. But if they decide every time Big Stick Lee lays someone out = 15 yards for UT, we will have a tough time getting them off the field.

Edited by pastorgrant
  • Upvote 1

We're 25 point dogs. I couldn't imagine us losing by 2 TDs, and definitely not more than 3 TDs. I'm almost tempted to put $50 on it, but I don't want to start that trend. Heaven forbid, I win.

• Upvote 1

24-14 UT win by virtue of depth. I expect the bulk of Texas points to come in the first half, and Skladany will make some adjustments in the 2nd half that makes the game alot more fun to watch.

Though, my heart tells me that UNT rises to the occasion and the game goes late into the 4th quarter before one team manages to squeak out a 24-21 win.

Texas enters the game ranked No. 24 in the nation in the coaches preseason poll. The Mean Green has beaten one top-25 team in school history, when it knocked off San Diego State, then ranked No. 20, on Nov. 2, 1974, 14-9 at Fouts Field.

time to make it two. What better time than the 40th anniversary year of the previous conquest?

GMG. Is it game time yet?

• Upvote 1