In other news and notes of the day …

– Dan McCarney said that he has not settled on a quarterback and talked a little about where UNT stands. The battle is still down to Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/08/unt-practice-notes-video-coming.html/

I woke up this morning, took a shower, got dressed, made some coffee, gave the cat some milk, walked out the door, took the trash to the curb, got in my car and drove to work.

My Routine:

Woke up
fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up I noticed I was late
Checked gmg.com anyway
  • Upvote 2

I'm fine with him not telling us. I'm not fine with Coach Mac and his staff not knowing themselves. Its a huge concern.

Also I'm not okay with this:

“There is a possibility we play both whether it’s by design or whether we go with the flow of the game, who is struggling and who could give us a lift,”

Just not a good idea to be rotating QB's. Pick one and move on. If you want to have a McNulty running package so be it, just dont rotate these guys.

• Upvote 1

It's sounding more and more like they will play both which is interesting.

Perhaps MacNulty plays first, tries to limit turnovers and mistakes...

If MacNulty struggles or you get behind put in Greer and air it out...

It's sounding more and more like they will play both which is interesting.

Perhaps MacNulty plays first, tries to limit turnovers and mistakes...

If MacNulty struggles or you get behind put in Greer and air it out...

This sounds like contingency, and not going in with a mindset of winning.

If this truly is UNT's best shot of going down to Austin to win, we can't be trotting a QB out there with his peer on the sideline, helmet strapped up, ready to go when the first guy makes a mistake. I just dont think either guy will do his best in that situation.

• Upvote 5

This sounds like contingency, and not going in with a mindset of winning.

If this truly is UNT's best shot of going down to Austin to win, we can't be trotting a QB out there with his peer on the sideline, helmet strapped up, ready to go when the first guy makes a mistake. I just dont think either guy will do his best in that situation.

This.

I actually want to see both and get this over with. Whoever does the best starts the rest of the year and we assume improvement since Texas is the most talented team we will face.

How they do against Texas is a silly gauge as to how they will perform against C-USA defenses. They've been playing against C-USA defenses all spring and all this month. Surely the coaches have seen enough to know.

I really think Coach Mac is sandbagging. Remember, he didn't announce a starter until Aug. 26th last year, after faking everyone out with talk about his freshman possibility getting the nod. There is an established pattern here.

• Upvote 3

I really think Coach Mac is sandbagging. Remember, he didn't announce a starter until Aug. 26th last year, after faking everyone out with talk about his freshman possibility getting the nod. There is an established pattern here.

It had better be this. If Coach Mac and Chico take a huge dump all over those beautiful new high-gloss SOW helmets, I am just going to lose it. It's ok to lose this game. It is NOT ok to go down there and look completely inept (see FIU 2011).

All I care about now is that those helmets stay around forever. Get Dodge'd in them right out of the gate and they'll be ruined!!

I'm sure he knows what he's going to do. The Texas game would be great to win but it'd be better to use as an opportunity to find out who are best players are...remember, these non-conference games originated as ways to prepare for the conference schedule. If Mac thinks using this game to allow players to rise and fall so we can be the best CUSA team we can be, I trust him in that....

That being said...I'm certain SSP is right.

How they do against Texas is a silly gauge as to how they will perform against C-USA defenses. They've been playing against C-USA defenses all spring and all this month. Surely the coaches have seen enough to know.

Im lost. Are you saying the performance in the Texas game is irrelevant? Even if one does terrible and one does ok, it should not matter for the remainder of the season?

Im lost. Are you saying the performance in the Texas game is irrelevant? Even if one does terrible and one does ok, it should not matter for the remainder of the season?

No, I never said that. What I am saying is if the coaches are waiting to make a decision based on what happens in the UT game, then they are completely off their rockers. They've had the opportunity to watch these QBs take hundreds and hundreds of snaps in spring and fall. They've seen enough to know, and expecting to change what they know based on 70 snaps and probably less than 40 passes is a bad idea.

Now if things were to turn out completely different than expected--e.g., their favored QB to throw 3 picks and the other to throw 3 TDs--that's a different story. But we're talking about naming the starter for the season, not about game-by-game evaluation that always takes place.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

No, I never said that. What I am saying is if the coaches are waiting to make a decision based on what happens in the UT game, then they are completely off their rockers. They've had the opportunity to watch these QBs take hundreds and hundreds of snaps in spring and fall. They've seen enough to know, and expecting to change what they know based on 70 snaps and probably less than 40 passes is a bad idea.

Now if things were to turn out completely different than expected--e.g., their favored QB to throw 3 picks and the other to throw 3 TDs--that's a different story. But we're talking about naming the starter for the season, not about game-by-game evaluation that always takes place.

I agree.