North Texas faces new task after breakout season

Harry

DENTON – North Texas is in unfamiliar territory heading into the fourth season of Dan McCarney’s tenure with the Mean Green.

UNT spent the first two years of McCarney’s time in Denton trying to break out of a funk that had seen the Mean Green fail to post a winning season since 2004. A breakout 9-4 campaign that included a win over UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl has UNT aiming to maintain its momentum instead of trying to get its program on track.

UNT has some key pieces in place among nine returning starters, including five on the offensive side of the ball, but must replace starting quarterback Derek Thompson and several other key players.

How a few inexperienced backups and newcomers fill the voids left by those starters will go a long way toward determining if UNT can post a second straight winning season under McCarney, who is 74-104 in 15 seasons at UNT and Iowa State.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/unt-mean-green/20140821-college-football-preview-north-texas-faces-new-task-after-breakout-season.ece

Loved seeing this:

This is the most important season in UNT football in the last 30 years. We are on the cusp of getting serious attention from a huge alumni base. We desperately need a follow up bowl season this year to prove the program is back and grab the attention of disaffected alumni.

It's gonna be an interesting ride.

• Upvote 5

Loved seeing this:

That is good to see, I just don't see why they won't announce the number of them sold. I don't see how this number could hurt them? In fact, if it is that low (7k?) then at least it would enlighten some fans who currently complain about advertising, etc.

I have a good source who tells me SMU is over 12k, hoping for 13k by opening day.

This is the most important season in UNT football in the last 30 years. We are on the cusp of getting serious attention from a huge alumni base. We desperately need a follow up bowl season this year to prove the program is back and grab the attention of disaffected alumni.

It's gonna be an interesting ride.

Agreed.

And it's very UNT of me, but I kind of expect to be let down. Seems like every time we get a chance to take that next step, something goes wrong.

I am hoping, however, that I am as wrong as ever.