Does San Antonio Raiders have a ring to it?

Harry

The Oakland Raiders are at it again. The spirit of Al Davis is alive and well, in the form of Mark Davis, son of the late Raiders owner. Mark Davis is chatted with San Antonio officials about the feasability of moving the Raiders to Alamo City.

Back in the day, Al Davis shopped his franchise constantly and ended up taking the Raiders to Los Angeles in 1982. In 1995, Davis took the Raiders back to Oakland.

The Raider lease expires in 2015, and the O.co Coliseum (originally Oakland Alameda County Coliseum), which is almost 50 years old, is the last of the dual-franchise stadiums. The Athletics play baseball there, and the Raiders play football there. And its not an adequate place for either.

So if the Raiders decided to move, is San Antonio a viable option? Well, it seems absurd that the NFL does not have a franchise in Greater Los Angeles. LA hasnt had an NFL team since the Rams went to St. Louis the same year the Raiders went back to Oakland. But LA doesnt have a stadium plan, and neither the LA Coliseum nor the Rose Bowl has proven adequate for NFL needs.

Read more: http://newsok.com/does-san-antonio-raiders-have-a-ring-to-it/article/5110572

SAN ANTONIO – The potential for shared use of the Alamodome by an NFL tenant and the UTSA Roadrunners surfaced earlier this week.

Officials of both the City of San Antonio and the Oakland Raiders confirmed that the possibility of a Raiders relocation was discussed in San Antonio on the weekend of July 18.

Lynn Hickey, UTSA vice president and director of athletics, released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying that the school hoped to be “part of the process” if the city and the Raiders continue to talk.

Here’s the text of Hickey’s statement:

“It is obvious from the success of UTSA football that there is a high level of interest and support for football in San Antonio.

“We feel that one of the primary reasons the startup of our football program has been so successful is because of the great collaboration between the city and UTSA.

“I am aware that the Raiders have met with city officials about use of the Alamodome.

“As this new opportunity arises, we look forward to being a part of the process.”

UTSA has played football in the dome since 2011.

In September 2012, the school and the city entered into a new license agreement that called for the Roadrunners to play at the 65,000-seat dome through 2035.

read more: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2014/07/roadrunners-and-raiders-under-the-same-roof/

I hope so too. looking at the long game here a san Antonio NFL team makes utsa much less important to that community. I'm not crazy worried abounthem "passing us by" but getting the attention off them will hurt their attendance numbers and reduces that as a concern.

so bring on the Raiders.

What the ever living f#%k?!

That is succcccch a small-minded attitude.

As much we may hate the jump-started ness of UTSA, their success ultimately reflects well on the conference as a whole. And trust me, we're going to be stuck together for a while. I will always and forever hope they lose to us, but I also sure as hell hope they represent CUSA as well as I know we will.

• Upvote 3

I agree with Walker. When I lived in Vegas the Lobo fans were rabid, crazy and large in numbers during the tournament runs to March Madness. Their big ole population took over the Thomas & Mack and outnumbered Rebel fans on its own floor in basketball - that is a big deal. UNM and UTSA are similar in that their cities really get behind them. That did not make UNM unbeatable and it doesn't the Roadrunners either. We will have a great rivalry building with them in the coming years and I look forward to silencing the orange and blue this November when we go down and get our revenge win.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I guess that even in death, Al Davis insists on out batshit crazying Jerry Jones. Same ole' same ole' pay me a billion dollars, never let a team in LA because that's my market, build me a monstrosity in center field that I can charge another billion dollars for, or I'll take my ball and go home to San Antonio, but still lay claim to the Los Angeles and East Bay Area television markets via lawsuit after lawsuit.

I grew up an Oakland Raiders fan before they moved to LA. I still passively follow them, but mostly I shake my head in disbelief and shame.

Personally, I don't think LA will get a team in the forseeable future. LA won't build a stadium unless a team is here, and no one will move to LA unless a stadium is aready built.

There are lots of political shenanigans going on with interests in the Rose Bowl and Coliseum. Not that they care about presenting their stadiums as remotely up to NFL standards, but rather that they're going to actively thwart any development efforts that would build a new stadium and possibly threaten what they've got going with UCLA/Rose Bowl/USC.

Houston doesn't care. But I could understand why Jerry would: SA is a huge Cowboys market and allowing a franchise in SA is like voting money out of his pocket.

This is absolutely correct. Being from Houston, but residing in SA really puts things into perspective when it comes to fan affiliation. 85% of the city backs the Cowboys, and I'm not sure a ton of those fans would flip to a new team coming into their own town. Further, we all know that the main reason the Raiders have begun talks is to scare Oakland into forking up cash for a new stadium. Lord knows they need it too.

Let me be clear about this too: The Alamodome is the worst "professional ready" stadium in the United States. I'm really not trying to exaggerate when I say that the building will need a more than $100+ million renovation job to become something a team would want to play in. Even the Rangers/Astros series that was played here in March was a forgettable experience because the stadium was that dilapidated. The stadium's deficiencies are as follows: barely any concessions, restrooms that are few and far between, no more club level, useless suit boxes, only one scoreboard, no banner LED screens, and the list can go on and on.

I'd love to see another Texas football team (I mean, come on. We're the best in the country at this game), but there are many many obstacles in the way.

• Upvote 1

Wont ever happen.

San Antonio is the #37 TV market,

Alamodome would be a temp venue at best. City would have to pony up for a new stadjum and the starting cost of a new NFL stadjum is $1 billion + nowadays.

Seen this all before: Minnesota, New Orleans, Jacksonville, et al have flirted with SA to make their hometowns jealous and get better or new stadium deals.

I think it's just a negotiating ploy but it could happen. Yes, SA is the #36 market but it's not like the NFL is trading the #6 market to get there. (Current market size listings are here!) They already have the 49ers in the 6th market and for decades the NFL has preferred two smaller markets to two teams in one big one. The sole exception is NYC as they have encouraged the previous teams that split the Chicago, LA and San Francisco markets to move.

It's probably just a negotiation ploy, but the best ploys have a reasonable possibility or they don't work.

This could be a godsend for UTSA Because they would get the new stadium they have been hoping for. I do agree that it could take away some of their fans who may opt for Raiders tickets but there are also come combo possibilities.

This things seems to be picking up steam. It may be a ploy but it has some wheels.