June Jones, "We are as talented as we have ever been."

Harry

"We are as talented as we have been since I have been at SMU." Coach June Jones at the @american_conf football media day.

Like I stated in another thread a few weeks ago, we match up with this team well. They have a run and shoot offense that plays into our strength with an experienced secondary. They also have an inexperienced QB that will take the reigns of a complex, pass happy offense that is based on presnap reads. On the road. Not a good combo.

Skladany has faced SMU and the June Jones run and shoot before. He also coached at UH and saw how they ran thier offense. Nothing new. I think Ohio and Ball State were better offenses. We will be fine. They have a small oline that will offset our small Dline. Our dline rotation will help when they try to hurry up. The smaller, but faster UNT defense will pay off in this type of matchup.

the SMU defense runs a 3-4. Not a good matchup from SMUs standpoint. A bigger and experienced Oline for UNT, can pound 3 down linemen and pickup those run blitzes from the 4 lbs. Considering UNT does not give up much sacks at all, a 3-4 defense is going to have a hard time getting pressure on the QB. Lots of guessing and blitzing from SMU.

I look for UNT to play smash mouth football against SMU to offset the fast paced Run and Shoot and give our defense rest. SMU will try to swarm and key on the run. Play action can hurt them big. When the backs do have an opening, they may take it the distance.

Edited by GOMG2013

From a depth perspective, yes. From an overall talent perspective it's hard for me to fully agree. We have a pretty good secondary, and they try to nickel and dime teams to death with the passing game. I think we will be just fine.

The horizontal passing game from last year will diminish without Hal Mumme. June also said he was going more vertical.

Like I stated in another thread a few weeks ago, we match up with this team well. They have a run and shoot offense that plays into our strength with an experienced secondary. They also have an inexperienced QB that will take the reigns of a complex, pass happy offense that is based on presnap reads. On the road. Not a good combo.

Skladany has faced SMU and the June Jones run and shoot before. He also coached at UH and saw how they ran thier offense. Nothing new. I think Ohio and Ball State were better offenses. We will be fine. They have a small oline that will offset our small Dline. Our dline rotation will help when they try to hurry up. The smaller, but faster UNT defense will pay off in this type of matchup.

the SMU defense runs a 3-4. Not a good matchup from SMUs standpoint. A bigger and experienced Oline for UNT, can pound 3 down linemen and pickup those run blitzes from the 4 lbs. Considering UNT does not give up much sacks at all, a 3-4 defense is going to have a hard time getting pressure on the QB. Lots of guessing and blitzing from SMU.

I look for UNT to play smash mouth football against SMU to offset the fast paced Run and Shoot and give our defense rest. SMU will try to swarm and key on the run. Play action can hurt them big. When the backs do have an opening, they may take it the distance.

DC Tom Mason likes the Fire Zone blitz. We have a talented transfer from Rice at ILB, the 2012 CUSA D player of the year. Gonna be interesting to see the run vs LBs in this game.

Didn't we get nickel and dimed to death last year by UTSA?

Yes, but all three scores came off of runs. 2 from Sosa, and 1 flukey run down the right sideline for 40 yards. Sosa went 30/49 no tds throwing and one pick. The biggest problem was our offense was trash and our defense played safe. Score was still 7-3 at the half. Thier offense didnt do much. Just more than ours.