A North Texas legend to have his number retired

Harry

gallery_7975_80_2370748.jpg

A growing number of North Texas grads likely don't even realize this, but one of the best defenders in the history of football played there and will finally have his number retired (again).

Let that sink in; the Steelers boast names such as Bradshaw, Webster, Stallworth, Swann, Harris, Ham, Woodson, Blount, etc. and they have retired just one number.

Not to nitpick, but what is this statement based on?

A growing number of North Texas grads likely don't even realize this

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2014/07/a-north-texas-legend-to-have-his-number-retired.html#storylink=cpy

That a growing number of UNT grads were born after Mean Joe Green stopped playing football? Edited by UNT90

If you haven't shaken hands with Mean Joe, you really should (if you have the stones). The man's hands are massive and still very muscular (said in a very manly way).

I still wouldn't mess with Mean Joe.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Congrats, Joe!

When this is done the Steelers will have retried two more numbers than the Dallas Cowboys.

Don't have any idea what this has to do with the Dallas team...maybe someday that Dallas team will have a reason to retire a number or two.

• Upvote 2

That a growing number of UNT grads were born after Mean Joe Green stopped playing football?

Nah. I was an OL in 2010 and they've been programming Mean Joe into the orientation sessions every year for the last 5 or so. They want to make sure the students know exactly who he is. It feeds straight back into the McCarney/RV/Athletic department pushing the athletics on the students. Something they should have never stopped doing after Joe left. (Damn you, Chilton.)

Anyway, Congrats to Mean Joe Green! Long overdue!

Edited by Jason Howeth
  • Upvote 4

Nah. I was an OL in 2010 and they've been programming Mean Joe into the orientation sessions every year for the last 5 or so. They want to make sure the students know exactly who he is. It feeds straight back into the McCarney/RV/Athletic department pushing the athletics on the students. Something they should have never stopped doing after Joe left. (Damn you, Chilton.)

Good to know.

Is orientation an option or requirement for incoming freshmen?

Good to know.

Is orientation an option or requirement for incoming freshmen?

It's been a requirement for some time now. 3=day sessions and each session has a 2-hour presentation from Coach Mac and RV on the AD patio overlooking Apogee. Literally every freshman that attends classes in the fall will know about the team, the program, and UNT athletics. It's really a great motivator for students to come out to the first game, which is why I think the SMU game will actually be packed. Imagine the 6-7k freshman that will attend after the winning season we had!

• Upvote 4

Actually, SI reports that Ernie Stautner was the first to have his number retired.

I was referring specifically to the era when the Steelers had "incredible teams." Prior to the 70's, the Steelers had an abysmal history. So of those teams that had so many Hall of Famers, including Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, Franco Harris, etc., etc., Mean Joe is the first.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I wasn't an athlete, but in my freshman orientation in 2000 there was little if any mention of athletics. we learned the fight song and the name of the stadium but I think that was about it. Mean Joe Greene is and should be UNT royalty, I am glad that they are promoting that and hope that in the future they promote the other NFL players and Olympians that resulted from our storied franchise. we have a bunch to be proud of and with sunny skys ahead we need to keep promoting the success that we have had in hopes if inspiring future greatness.

I wasn't an athlete, but in my freshman orientation in 2000 there was little if any mention of athletics. we learned the fight song and the name of the stadium but I think that was about it. Mean Joe Greene is and should be UNT royalty, I am glad that they are promoting that and hope that in the future they promote the other NFL players and Olympians that resulted from our storied franchise. we have a bunch to be proud of and with sunny skys ahead we need to keep promoting the success that we have had in hopes if inspiring future greatness.

I had freshman orientation the same year. I don't remember anything about athletics there either, except learning the fight song and how to hold up a talon.

I was already sold on UNT football, though, thanks to GMG's own Travis's insistence.

• Upvote 2

I had freshman orientation the same year. I don't remember anything about athletics there either, except learning the fight song and how to hold up a talon.

I was already sold on UNT football, though, thanks to GMG's own Travis's insistence.

Grant, remember when we would bring like 20 to the game with us? I don't think many really cared to be there... but we still made 'em come.

• Upvote 1

They should have an alumni season ticket holder and mean green club orientation that is mandatory for all alumni on the books, all 550,000 of them in the DFW area.

It should be mandatory like jury duty. I would also accept "similar to the timeshare pitches where you have to be there to get your "prize".

If you fail to show up to the mandatory orientation, season ticket push presentation, we will contract out Dog the Bounty hunter's company to track you down and "gently encourage" the individuals to show up to the presentation. If they refuse, he will be authorized to use pepper spray.

Alumni attendance problem solved.

• Upvote 1