Gear licensing. I still don't get it.

Stan R

I visited Rally House Texas in Plano yesterday...

gallery_3776_75_43962.jpg

PLEASE GO GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!! They also had North Texas lanyards, car emblems, tailgating chairs, and decals.

Holy crap, that's beautiful!

I have that Mean Green travel mug, too and am very pleased with it.

Edited by TheFranchise

I visited Rally House Texas in Plano yesterday...

gallery_3776_75_43962.jpg

PLEASE GO GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!!! They also had North Texas lanyards, car emblems, tailgating chairs, and decals.

I need to try to give them some business this weekend. Looks like they have a great selection of stuff.

2432 Preston Rd.

Silver Eagle or FFR could write pages about this, but I imagine they are just too tired of going over it.

Here is a link where I explained this last time in a thread Plumm started back in the Spring.

One part in that thread that may apply here....

And I encourage anyone else who is interested to do this as well.....

Pick a collegiate product that is made with another top selling school's logo,..ex: North Carolina, and find the contact for the manufacturer of that product and call that company. When someone answers ask for sales, and be nice but firm, and tell them your the owner of a business/retailer/store. If they ask the name of the business just make one up since your just looking for a product quote at the moment. Tell them you would like to purchase their product with a North Texas Mean Green logo on it. They will either tell you no, or tell you ok, and then will give you your cost per item and then the minimum number of items you must purchase from them to complete the purchase. And this is when you will understand the whole problem.

As before, I'll give you one of my many examples I ran into when trying to supply Mean Green fans with cool, new and unique products. One item was a Mean Green chrome "AutoEmblem", manufactured out of Colorado Springs, CO.

I call and get ahold of the main dude over product sales. I introduced myself and told him that I had a small online North Texas gear store down in Texas. We had a nice quick chat about their product blah blah blah, then I told him what I wanted. He hesitated for a moment(this was because he wasn't sure if they had a license agreement from CLC to produce North Texas AutoEmblems or not, and was having to look it up to make sure), then tells me...."OK, we can do that". He then say's that their product has a nationally set price, that I must sign an agreement to sell it at that price, which at the time was $8.50 each, and that my cost was $5.00 each,.. and that my minimum order was.....and here's the kick to the nads.............3500 units!!!!!!!!!!

I nearly flipped out. I asked why it was going to cost me $17,500 for a product I wouldn't live long enough to sell all of?

He said "Because first, since we have never done a product for North Texas I have to apply for and get approval from CLC". This was only something like $35 dollars, but it involves paperwork and approval time, which was anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks back then.

He then said.."Next, since we have never produced a product for North Texas I have to pay a (injection)mold designer to make the 4-piece mold that will more than likely never get used again, and those things are expensive".

At this point I realized I wasn't going to get my AutoEmblem to sell to y'all. He realized I was dissatisfied and then explained that nowadays they stick mostly to two areas of products to maximize their profits. NASCAR and the top 25 merchandising colleges...Texas, North Carolina, Michigan...ex.

And THAT is the biggest deal and what people like Relondo don't seem to understand? Sure, we are in a licensing agreement with approved major manufacturers around the country...(thru CLC).. but they don't do enough product with UNT to bother over.

More simply put, it's a lack of EFFORT on the university's part as to why so many are still frustrated with gear availability.

If anyone else has a question either send me a PM to exchange phone numbers and I'll go into further detail about it on the phone or see me at a tailgate event.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I went back by today and picked up a pair of car flags for the trip to Austin.

I stopped by today at lunch and they have actually sold out of some of the stuff. The lady who checked us out was wearing an NT shirt and commented that they were going to get more stuff in and the section of the store was starting to take space from UT and A&M.

Just stopped by the plano location and they are running out of stuff for sure. Same story as everyone...cashier was very excited and said she loves seeing lots of people coming and buying North Texas gear because she rubs it in her "tech" managers face. She also said the Flower Mound location has the biggest selection but Plano should catch up within a few weeks. It being located a block from my home does not look good for my wallet however.