UNT budgets for surplus funds in ’15

Harry

DALLAS — University of North Texas officials project that the school will have a $12 million surplus in fiscal year 2015, the first surplus at the university in recent years.

Preliminary budget summaries for UNT, the UNT System and other campuses were presented to the Board of Regents on Monday, before the finalized budgets are brought back to the board for approval next month.

They are the first budgets created since officials learned about financial mismanagement at UNT and the system, which included UNT misusing $83.5 million of state funds over 10 years and reporting in the budget that UNT had $23 million it really did not have.

The errors have led to a financial overhaul, and the new budgets are more conservative and reliable than in previous years, said Janet Waldron, vice chancellor for finance.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140728-unt-budgets-for-surplus-funds-in-15.ece

I'm one of the first people who defends the university and point out the changes made when people start attacking it for the budgetary problems. That being said, I will remain...cautiously optimistic about the likelihood that 2015 actually experiences a surplus. In 2005, we expected 41K enrollment by 2015. Our new master plan says 45K by 2020. If our board of regents is nothing else, it is optimistic.

Edited by Tyler Maryak

I'm one of the first people who defends the university and point out the changes made when people start attacking it for the budgetary problems. That being said, I will remain...cautiously optimistic about the likelihood that 2015 actually experiences a surplus. In 2005, we expected 41K enrollment by 2015. Our new master plan says 45K by 2020. If our board of regions is nothing else, it is optimistic.

*Regents

Those numbers are not set by the BOR, they are from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. They are what they want the university to be ready to handle by those dates.

*Regents

Those numbers are not set by the BOR, they are from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. They are what they want the university to be ready to handle by those dates.

Thank you. Weird, I've never done that before. Oh, so the expected enrollment for those years are what the university should be able to facilitate and not used to estimate revenue?