OU @ Houston in 2016

James329

People, you just don't get it. OU plays red river shootout in Dallas, no need to play unt to get in this area. Houston however opens an easy window to get extra FaceTime in front of targets in that area.

• Upvote 2

People, you just don't get it. OU plays red river shootout in Dallas, no need to play unt to get in this area. Houston however opens an easy window to get extra FaceTime in front of targets in that area.

You don't get it. There are other P5 bell cows that don't play a yearly game in DFW. Ain't seen them in Denton.

I'd love to see teams like Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado, or Berkeley come to Apogee. None are year in and year out powerhouses, and the size of the stadium wouldn't be a huge issue. Outside of the state, I prefer looking westward over eastward for "Power 5" opponents at Apogee.

I'd love to see teams like Arizona, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Colorado, or Berkeley come to Apogee. None are year in and year out powerhouses, and the size of the stadium wouldn't be a huge issue. Outside of the state, I prefer looking westward over eastward for "Power 5" opponents at Apogee.

As of right now, those teams may not even produce a sell out at Apogee. Coming off of a bowl winning season some think that SMU may not sell out.

Until UNT gets more PAYING fans, the program is not going to reach the level the fans are looking for. Even with the bump in attendance, if the majority of the bump comes from students, its not going to stop the need for money games.

• Upvote 3

I'd love to see us get a series with Arizona. As far as the OU game with Houston, go Houston. We got teams like A&M and Kansas to play us at Texas Stadium in the past. It wasn't some epic moment for the program. Just another game. We need to get teams like Arizona and TT back on our schedule.

Edited by UNTexas

The team to get down this way for a game at JerryWorld or the Cotton Bowl is simple--Nebraska. They need Texas games again now that they are in the B1G and they would bring a huge crowd that Apogee couldn't handle.That is who you target. Otherwise, its a team like LSU for a big neutral-site game in the Metroplex. Another team that could benefit from playing down here, but Apogee would work fine for is Mizzou. Iowa would fit that bill, too, but that is gonna open up a can of worms not worth opening anymore.

The other teams to go after for a series seems really obvious, too--Okie State, Kansas, and Kansas State. They could use another game in the Metroplex to offset the years they don't play TCU and Apogee could hold that crowd.

Games against Oklahoma, Texas, Tech, Baylor, Arkansas, or A&M are not really feasbile as opponenets in the area for us since they play up here every season. I don't think any Pac teams would travel that well here. BYU would, though, which is another game I'd go after really hard, since they are an independent now. I think the potential of getting a great draw for a game against teams like UNC, Va Tech, UVa, Ga Tech, and NC State is better than a lot of people would guess, as a lot of folks from Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, and the state of Virginia live here in the DFW market now.

No matter what, any of these teams beat the hell out of anyone we have played at Apogee or have scheduled to play in OOC so far, including UH, Indiana, SMU, and Army, even though each of those teams is a fine OOC opponent. I just think making SMU your crown jewel to sell to your fanbase as a marquee OOC game for years to come is really just sad.

• Upvote 2

This is the Texas Kickoff game. It's similar to the Cowboy's Classic at Jerry World. Last year was the first year featuring Okie State and Miss State.

Future games:

2014 Wisconsin vs LSU

2015 aTm vs ASU

2016 OU vs UH

Last year's attendance was only 36k. I'd look for sellouts or near sellouts the next 3 years.

• Upvote 2

You don't get it. There are other P5 bell cows that don't play a yearly game in DFW. Ain't seen them in Denton.

Ok. You're right everyone else is wrong, kick rocks.

I like all the ideas of teams, but aside from maybe UT, ATM, and OU Apogee would be fine for all of the other teams. I'm in favor of bringing these other programs to Denton, not the metroplex. If we could consistently get some big names into Apogee it would help businesses, which could turn the casual into an actual and get a little more support from the city of Denton. Get 1/10 (roughly 10-12k people) of Denton to buy into UNT football paired with attendance from students, family and friends of players, band, cheer then there's your consistent sellout of Apogee. I've been advertising 2014 UNT football to everyone I speak to, we should all make a conscious effort to do the same. GMG

Texas Tech has played @ Utep, SMU AND Texas State the last few years. Ok. State played at UTSA. OU played at Tulsa. We can't get Iowa on a home and home. This is the 4th season of Apogee, and outside of Indiana, SMU and Houston we haven't been able to schedule a name apponent at home. I know there are a lot of moving parts here, but there should be no reason why we can't get a P5 school in here. It's important.