Rice's Future OC Schedule.

DT 90

I'd take these OC schedules in a heartbeat.

@ Notre Dame

@ Texas

Hawaii

@Army

Texas

@ Baylor

Army

@Stanford

@Army

Baylor

Stanford

@Northwestern

Army

@Wake Forest

Northwestern

@Hawaii

Baylor

Texas A&M

This kind of mentality is why RV is untouchable here.

I'm with everyone else here wanting to see NT as a power house in a P5 conference consistently in the Top 25, but I know RV and I know UNT football. We're not even close to that. Not to mention, almost every P5 team has a money-game for a W early in the season. There's no team that gives themselves a gauntlet of a schedule. Below is a list of our upcoming guaranteed games. I hope 2015 satisfies this itch.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/north-texas-mean-green.php

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hope 2015 satisfies this itch.

People aren't complaining that Rice is playing Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor (twice) in the next few years, they are complaining that they are playing them AT HOME.

Plenty of other CUSA and SBC teams have gotten P5 schools to play at their stadium recently, so the question is why can't we?

KSU at Fouts and Indiana at Apogee are the only P5 schools we have been able to pull in recently, pardon us for being underwhelmed.

• Upvote 5

I'm with everyone else here wanting to see NT as a power house in a P5 conference consistently in the Top 25, but I know RV and I know UNT football. We're not even close to that. Not to mention, almost every P5 team has a money-game for a W early in the season. There's no team that gives themselves a gauntlet of a schedule. Below is a list of our upcoming guaranteed games. I hope 2015 satisfies this itch.

2015 satisfies an itch? Seriously? I guess if you like 5 home game seasons. I wouldn't hold out 2015 as a shining example of RV's scheduling prowess. It's just the opposite.

Notice that EVERY SINGLE GAME that we play a P5 is a road game. Rice has a home and home with Stanford.

Scheduling. The worst thing this AD does.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The really amazing one is Iowa. Two for none with them that messed up our home game schedule and provides nothing outside of a big paycheck from a middle of the pack P5 team.

At least we're taking money from a middle of the pack P5 team (like we're doing this year in Austin) instead of from a returning SEC or Big12 champion as we've been doing for the past 10-15 years...

The chances of walking out with the money as well as a W are a little better!

The paycheck games are not going away until we can fill Apogee regularly.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, 2015 is probably the worst example in RV's favor you could've given. Not getting any return home games out of these games is the problem. As others stated. Playing money games at P5 schools is not something to brag about scheduling wise. Especially when a school like Rice, pretty equal to us as a program and w/ less attendance, is getting Stanford, Texas, Texas A&M, and Baylor to play at Rice.

Not saying at all that RV should be fired. Just saying that more fans should hold him accountable. And see what other schools, like Rice, and their ADs are doing. The worst thing we as fans can and often do is stay in our North Texas bubble and not pay attention to what is going on around us in our conference and in the NCAA. Then we believe everything RV tells us and every excuse he makes, because we don't know any better. It's for the best, including for RV.

That being said, SMU and Army are solid series but they aren't our ceiling and we shouldn't settle there.

• Upvote 2

At least we're taking money from a middle of the pack P5 team (like we're doing this year in Austin) instead of from a returning SEC or Big12 champion as we've been doing for the past 10-15 years...

The chances of walking out with the money as well as a W are a little better!

The paycheck games are not going away until we can fill Apogee regularly.

Right, but we've scheduled two paycheck games next year. I'm beginning to suspect he scheduled 2015 the way he did to get money to start building the baseball park. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Right, but we've scheduled two paycheck games next year. I'm beginning to suspect he scheduled 2015 the way he did to get money to start building the baseball park. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

No, we play 3 OOC road games in 2015 because we have to due to previously terrible scheduling that left us with the option of buying a home game for the fourth year in a row (let that sink in. We bought a home game with no return 3 years in a row and STILL are in a scheduling pickle due to previous scheduling mistakes) or having a 5 home game season for the 2nd time in Apogee's 4 year existence.

There is simply no flexibility to do anything else.

And RV avoids this question, hoping that UNT fans will just do what they have always done.

Accept something that is substandard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to spoil this every other week rant about scheduling. But everyone seems to overlook Rice's advantages particularly in scheduling big time teams. They still have a name and a conference history with many of the Big Twelve teams. They are also in the second biggest recruiting hot bed in the state and one of the top in the nation. They also have a much bigger stadium when needed. Yes DFW is even a better recruiting area but many sought after rivals already travel frequently to play conference foe TCU and neutral site games at Jerry's world.

I am not the biggest fan of RV, but I think a lot of you are unreasonable when it comes to scheduling.

• Upvote 4

Of course you aren't. That's why the AD can schedule the way he does.

Apathy.

Whoa whoa whoa there, 90. Don't go throwing around the word "apathy" anywhere near my direction because that spaghetti won't stick. There's not an apathetic bone in my body for this school or team.

I honestly can't fault RV for this kind of scheduling. The 2015 Iowa series was created in 2009 (when we were terrible), the Tennessee game was scheduled for 2011 before it was moved to 2015, and the SMU game just fell on that series. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but we'll get our opportunities later, and I'm sure RV is working on getting another P5 school here in the upcoming years. If not, I'll stand corrected.

• Upvote 2

Not to spoil this every other week rant about scheduling. But everyone seems to overlook Rice's advantages particularly in scheduling big time teams. They still have a name and a conference history with many of the Big Twelve teams. They are also in the second biggest recruiting hot bed in the state and one of the top in the nation. They also have a much bigger stadium when needed. Yes DFW is even a better recruiting area but many sought after rivals already travel frequently to play conference foe TCU and neutral site games at Jerry's world.

I am not the biggest fan of RV, but I think a lot of you are unreasonable when it comes to scheduling.

Well said. if I'm a P5 school, why do I go to UNT instead of P5 school TCU or AAC member SMU? Both have more on-paper reputation to bring fans/revenue/national coverage than UNT. It can't be an easy job to lure a team to Denton.

Rice has already been playing this series with Texas---correct me if I'm wrong, but they are playing the games at Reliant---not at Rice Stadium. Even if these games were in Rice stadium, that sucker holds 70k+.

Our AD has clearly stated, over and over, that he's not going to play any home games anywhere other than in Denton. We were getting A&M and Tech to come to Dallas back when Helwig used Texas Stadium to host games. Texas Stadium is out of the picture. The Cotton Bowl is dilapidated. Jerry is aggressively selling neutral site games all season long to national powers---is hosting games there out of our price range or are we not able to get Jerry to answer a call from UNT?

I understood the ban on using Texas Stadium back when we drew flies and had very little atmosphere at our Denton home games....but Jerry World is a venue that makes sense to use while it's still the top venue in the world. Go get an Iowa, Purdue or a Kansas/Kansas State---some team that doesn't already have a game lined up there in the next 5-8 years and set it up. It's like having a second bowl game on the schedule.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whoa whoa whoa there, 90. Don't go throwing around the word "apathy" anywhere near my direction because that spaghetti won't stick. There's not an apathetic bone in my body for this school or team.

I honestly can't fault RV for this kind of scheduling. The 2015 Iowa series was created in 2009 (when we were terrible), the Tennessee game was scheduled for 2011 before it was moved to 2015, and the SMU game just fell on that series. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but we'll get our opportunities later, and I'm sure RV is working on getting another P5 school here in the upcoming years. If not, I'll stand corrected.

Many will stand corrected when we play another 5 home game season in 2015 that they were just oh so sure that RV wouldn't let happen. It's coming.

Who scheduled those OOC games? You talk like a previous AD made these terrible scheduling choices. It wasn't. It was RV. So you are basically saying he shouldn't be held accountable for his past mistakes.

Like I said, apathy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

NT03 did a good job a while back posting a list of G5s that have home games against P5 schools.

But, gosh darnit, RV is such a nice guy, why should we actually expect him to do his job well?

I mean, he cries a lot, he must care, right?

Results? Who cares about results.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Rice's stadium is 45K capacity, not 70K plus. What about Houston? If you're going to say "why play UNT when you could play SMU or TCU?" Then why place Rice when you could play Houston?

Because that doesn't jive with defending an AD that has SUCKED at scheduling OOC football games, but is one hell of a nice guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2