North Texas coach recalls a painful moment — a loss to UTSA

Harry

As I said, Matthews was the best example of that culture, but he wasn't the first. The attitude goes back to our early days.

I believe we were in reasonably good shape in 68, because we offered ships to players of color and the SWC was just starting to do that. Once all of the teams in the SWC started recruiting in the black community they had a distinct advantage over us because they actually had a recruiting budget, a consistent TV presence, and we were probably still relying on (essentially) word of mouth for our recruitment.

Plus any talented assistant coaches we may have had were quickly hired away from us.

Yes, you are absolutely right but if NT had build on that advantage like for example Houston; it would be an entirely different program. NT inexplicably just never had the leadership that Houston, Texas Tech, and many others that moved forward had. It pains most that were around in those days, that NT had a much better program than most of their MVC peers such as Tulsa, Louisville and Cincinnati who have all since have done better than NT.

I have a hard time seeing UTEP as a rival, because every single one of their fans I met last year or have seen post are so down to Earth and nice. La. Tech fans seem that way until they start winning a lot, and then they get obnoxious. 95% of UTSA fans are just unbearable one way or the other, and that loss last year really stings. I'd say they're on the fast track at the moment. It's the only away game I'll be making this year.

Rice fans are nice that way as well. La. Tech fans have been nice but when they start winning again they will bow up.