Four-star Duncanville SG Matt McQuaid decommits from SMU

Harry

SMU basketball suffered another blow on Sunday evening.

Just days after losing Emmanuel Mudiay, the nations No. 1 point guard in the 2014 class, decided to pursue a professional career overseas rather than playing on the Hilltop, four-star 2015 Duncanville shooting guard Matt McQuaid decommitted.

Read more: collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/four-star-duncanville-sg-matt-mcquaid-decommits-from-smu.html/

Larry brown happened....

Larry Brown will replace this kid with an equal player.

Sure, SMU may suffer sanctions when Brown leaves, but there is no arguing with the stunning turnaround he has brought to that program.

Much like the stunning turnaround with UNT basketball, but yet completely different...

• Upvote 3

You probably wouldn't trade head coaches with them, would you?

I would not. If Fran was their coach sure it would definetly consider it. Larry brown no. I rather have students graduate and lose than win, have sanctions and not produce productive citizens from the program.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

I would not. If Fran was there coach sure it would definetly consider it. Larry brown no. I rather have students graduate and lose than win, have sanctions and not produce productive citizens from the program.

It's very clear that you would rather lose than win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I would not. If Fran was there coach sure it would definetly consider it. Larry brown no. I rather have students graduate and lose than win, have sanctions and not produce productive citizens from the program.

I can't think of any D1 coach for whom I wouldn't trade Benford. And what percentage of players is Benford graduating, anyway?

Man, this is just really dumb statement...like, not just dumb, but a special kind of "certifiably stupid" dumb.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Man, this is just really dumb statement...like, not just dumb, but a special kind of "certifiably stupid" dumb.

What was dumb about it? Besides missing a few grammar points and not using the right 'their'.... I am failing to understand what makes this post so dumb. Unless I am forgetting more to the context.

I can understand that what he is saying here is that if we don't win the 'right way', it isn't worth winning at all. I can agree to that. There are more important things than simply winning.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What was dumb about it? Besides missing a few grammar points and not using the right 'their'.... I am failing to understand what makes this post so dumb. Unless I am forgetting more to the context.

I can understand that what he is saying here is that if we don't win the 'right way', it isn't worth winning at all. I can agree to that. There are more important things than simply winning.

Thinking a trade for Larry Brown for Tony Benford is a bad idea is just dumb. Sorry, Larry Brown is a HOF coach, has won an NBA Championship, won an NCAA Championship, and is one of the most recognizable names in sports. Tony Benford, in two years, has shown an amazing ability to trash an entire roster of the most talented players the university has ever had. Larry Brown, in two years, has absolutely buried everything that Tony Benford has done in two years. Its not close...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't make the statement, but expanding from my own perspective... If we want to win "the right way", keeping Benford is laughably tragic.

And if we want a guy who makes a priority of athletes graduating, then we probably don't want the coach who turned off, scared off, or ran off: (big inhale) Norris, Overlander, Hardwick, Coleman, Jones, Gaines... And if you want to throw Forrest Robinson (I don't put that on Benford) and potentially a Mystery Player X still to come (that I also wouldn't blame on Benford)... The track record ain't great, especially after just two years. Pile on the recruitment scholarship musical chairs, and I don't think it's accurate to say that Benford's main priority is player retention and graduation.

Anything you can say about Brown at SMU (Samarrippas, whoever else), you can say louder and more frequently about Benford here. So, not speaking for Jim here, but... To say anything negative of the sort about Larry Brown as a way of trying to prop up our own coach on a morality pedestal, when Benford seems to treat players and their scholarships like Solo cups at a picnic or wet-naps after a barbecue dinner... It's pretty dumb.

One more way of illustrating... Most people would probably rank how they want our basketball program to function like this:

1) Win the "right" way

2) Lose the "right" way

3) Win the "wrong" way

4) Lose the "wrong" way

If your moral compass is a bit smudged or you have a very flexible definition of "right" and "wrong" in an athletics context, you can probably deal with this:

1) Win the "right" way

2) Win the "wrong" way

3) Lose the "right" way

4) Lose the "wrong" way

Whichever way you swing on the matter, we're in the worst situation on either chart now. We torture or break NCAA regulations, we kick (or VERY STRONGLY PUSH) kids out of their education, and we still lose. Badly and frequently.