MTSU's decade-long block on signing non-qualifiers outdated?

Harry

MTSU now plays at a higher level in Conference USA, where at least one-third of football schools permit the signing of academic non-qualifiers, according to The Daily News Journal's survey of member institutions. Two of the league's top teams – Marshall and North Texas – regularly sign NCAA non-qualifiers.

C-USA and the Sun Belt Conference, MTSU's current and previous leagues, do not have a policy against signing NCAA non-qualifiers. Both leave that to the discretion of member schools. The Big Ten, Atlantic Coast and Mid-American conferences also let their schools decide.

The Southeastern Conference and Pac-12 – arguably the top two football leagues – both permit moderation. Per current league rule, the SEC allows each school to sign four non-qualifiers in men's sports and four in women's sports per year, with a maximum of two in football per signing class and no more than one in any other sport.

Read more: http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/football/2014/06/29/special-report-mtsus-decade-long-block-on-signing-non-qualifiers-outdated/11673535/

We 'regularly' sign non qualifiers? Is that accurate?

I realize Chumley from last season, but other example are not immediately coming to mind.

Did we ever get confirmation that Chumley was a non-qualifier?

At any rate, the statement that "North Texas regularly signs non-qualifiers" is patently false, and the writer needs to make a retraction.

• Upvote 1

Read this on CUSA forum, seems totally inaccurate to me. Someone from AD's staff should have contacted the writer for a retraction. It implies NT's standards are not as high as MTSU and NT has a big advantage.

It is really unclear what he is talking about. The only example I know of from NT is Tony Mitchell. This is a player that could not pass the NCAA clearing house standards and payed his own way to college the first year. I can't imagine that their are a lot of football players out there like that waiting to get into MTSU or NT.

• Upvote 1