UNT picked to win the C-USA West in preseason coaches’ poll

Harry

UNT was a narrow pick to win Conference USA’s West Division in the league’s preseason coaches’ poll that was released this morning.

UNT received 66 points in the poll, just edging out Rice and UTSA, which received 65 and 62 points, respectively.

The Mean Green had two players named to the preseason all-conference team in senior guards Cyril Lemon and Mason Y’Barbo.

The honors come after a breakout season that saw the Mean Green finish 9-4 and beat UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/07/unt-picked-to-win-the-c-usa-west-in-preseason-coaches-poll.html/

Does anyone else find this extremely interesting that the C-USA coaches would pick UNT as the favorite in the west?

My initial thought is that, take the personnel losses aside -- the program as a whole has improved across the board. I honestly put more stock into what these coaches think then I do the prognosticators.

The other thing that is interesting is that we may have a legitimate platoff contender with Marshall. Their team with Cato returning as a Heisman candidate and their schedule make them a very interesting team to watch this season.

2013 CUSA Coaches Poll

PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

EAST DIVISION	       Pts
1. East Carolina (11)	95
2. Marshall (2)	        82
3. Middle Tennessee (1)	70
4. UAB	                54
5. Southern Miss	40
6. Florida Atlantic	28
7. FIU	                23
WEST DIVISION      Pts
1. Tulsa (14)	        98
2. Rice	                76
3. Louisiana Tech	72
4. UTEP	                46
5. North Texas	        39
6. Tulane	        31
7. UTSA	                30

(first place votes in parantheses)

• Upvote 2

2013 CUSA Coaches Poll

EAST DIVISION Pts

1. East Carolina (11) 95

2. Marshall (2) 82

3. Middle Tennessee (1) 70

4. UAB 54

5. Southern Miss 40

6. Florida Atlantic 28

7. FIU 23

WEST DIVISION Pts

1. Tulsa (14) 98

2. Rice 76

3. Louisiana Tech 72

4. UTEP 46

5. North Texas 39

6. Tulane 31

7. UTSA 30

I get your point Jim but keep in mind, most of these teams had not played us and some of the coaches were new to the scene (UTEP). All they knew was that we had about a decade of futility. So I don't think the 2013 poll has as much validity.

I get your point Jim but keep in mind, most of these teams had not played us and some of the coaches were new to the scene (UTEP). All they knew was that we had about a decade of futility. So I don't think the 2013 poll has as much validity.

I'm with you, Harry. I agree that the coaches probably have a better read on what's going on with the "new guys" at this point.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Rice or UTSA voted for us over themselves on purpose.

I think there is a decent chance of that being the case. A lot easier to motivate your players, when the y "did not get the recognition they deserved" and don't have to carry the weight of expectations.

Still being first instead 5th says something good about the perception of the program.

• Upvote 3

If I wasn't an NT alum and fan, I would put UTSA at the top of my list... and I'd do it without thinking twice. My reason? UNT has to go on the road against the other two "favored" Texas programs in the West. Likely needs to win on the road at one (or both) to win the conference... which could be a tall order. Additionally, UTSA has consistency and experience at the key positions.

But I'm an NT alum and fan. So F 'em. We'll win it all.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2013 CUSA Coaches Poll

EAST DIVISION	       Pts
1. East Carolina (11)	95
2. Marshall (2)	        82
3. Middle Tennessee (1)	70
4. UAB	                54
5. Southern Miss	40
6. Florida Atlantic	28
7. FIU	                23
WEST DIVISION      Pts
1. Tulsa (14)	        98
2. Rice	                76
3. Louisiana Tech	72
4. UTEP	                46
5. North Texas	        39
6. Tulane	        31
7. UTSA	                30

Remember the last time we were predicted to win the western division in a conference?...

That depressing memory aside, the fact that the coaches think we have the talent to compete makes me feel better after all the losses to graduation.

Remember the last time we were predicted to win the western division in a conference?...

That depressing memory aside, the fact that the coaches think we have the talent to compete makes me feel better after all the losses to graduation.

Weird how both times we were in rebuild mode.

• Upvote 1