Moody could skip SMU, play overseas

GreenBat

I know this might wet your basketball pants, but to say the NBA draft age limit should be the same as the NFL is ridiculous.

I am just saying an education is instant. If they want to go pro let them go overseas and stay four years there (like they would in college). Otherwise they can be on a two year plan and at least receive some education.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am just saying an education is instant. If they want to go pro let them go overseas and stay four years there (like they would in college). Otherwise they can be on a two year plan and at least receive some education.

An extra year in college wouldn't make any difference for these kids. The ones who would go back and get their degree would likely do so whether the rule was 1 year or 2 years.

Also, can't compare it to football. Education isn't the reason football players have to stay 3 years. It's health concerns. 19 year olds' bodies are not ready for the NFL. There are rare exceptions (like Clowney). Basketball, if you aren't ready physically you might get bullied down low a little. Or you wouldn't really be affected at all.

Mudiay is a refugee of the Congolese civil war. He and his seven siblings were raised by a widowed mother. He will now have the opportunity to spend the next year of his life living abroad and experiencing a new culture.

I'd say his education is far more advanced than some a-hole with their bachelors degree who really only wants these kids to stay longer in college for their own entertainment.

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

It would take the average person (making $50,000 per year) about 24 years to make what he has just signed a contract to make in one year. Sure, making that type of money at a young age will take some discipline, but IMHO he would be foolish not to take the chance.

I agree. I just do not want to see him in the NBA draft for the next four years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's called an incentive to stay in the United States and go to college before going to the NBA.

And then you could play after one year? That is not a great idea. Some kids aren't cut out for college, but can play basketball. By doing what you are suggesting, kids who don't have the grades to get into college can't play in the NBA for four years. That doesn't seem fair to me.

It's called an incentive to stay in the United States and go to college before going to the NBA.

Money is a greater incentive to leave school and go pro. It happens in all sort of sports. Requiring someone to stay until they graduate could actually reduce future earnings for any number of reasons.

In Golf, Tiger Woods never graduated from Stanford, he left after 2 year while accumulating several awards and titles.

Edited by UNTFan23

I am only saying stay for two years (unless they chose to opt out of college and go overseas in which case it would be four). Somewhere along the line young people forgot what patience was. It's me me me world and I am entitled to this and that. Would you prefer they have to join the military and do a four year tour before going pro like my buddy Michael thinks (he served in Iraq for 4 years).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I am only saying stay for two years (unless they chose to opt out of college and go overseas in which case it would be four). Somewhere along the line young people forgot what patience was. It's me me me world and I am entitled to this and that. Would you prefer they have to join the military and do a four year tour before going pro like my buddy Michael thinks (he served in Iraq for 4 years).

The thing is an athletic scholarship is voluntary. Unless a sports league, like the NFL, has a hard and fast rule limiting participation based off of age, there is nothing that can stop an athlete from going pro. You can wish it all you want but it won't change reality.

Don't blame young athletes; blame the sponsors (Nike, Under Armor, etc) or sports teams who dish out multi-million deals.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Again, being punitive to players who decide to go to Europe is just wrong. You cannot punish a player like that simply because he decided not to go to college. I get that you think that college will prepare them for the NBA, but I don't think it really changes anything. I used to work with a scholarship track athlete (not from UNT) and she said that there was little done to prepare athletes for the future beyond college, and this is an athlete in a non-revenue sport. I doubt that making a player stay an extra two years abroad will do little to nothing to better prepare them for life in the NBA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As the NBA D-League progresses, I suspect that it will trend more towards the model of Major/Minor League Baseball. As forever stated, not everyone is cut out for college. Putting guys in the minors out of high school has been very good for baseball and guys that were not going the college route.

Plus, Andrew, under your thinking what would happen with international players? Dirk would probably not have been a Maverick.

As the NBA D-League progresses, I suspect that it will trend more towards the model of Major/Minor League Baseball. As forever stated, not everyone is cut out for college. Putting guys in the minors out of high school has been very good for baseball and guys that were not going the college route.

Plus, Andrew, under your thinking what would happen with international players? Dirk would probably not have been a Maverick.

Minor league baseball isn't exactly what I call "very good" for the kids who left and didn't go to college, most minor leaguers make 2 grand a month and travel on buses or vans. Unless those kids stipulate they want their school paid for once baseballs done, they're screwed unless their a prized possession by the club.

• Upvote 1

Great kid! This is a reaction to what happened with his former high school teammate Isaiah Austin at Arlington Grace Prep/Baylor. Mudiay was one and done at SMU, Kentucky or anywhere else he would have signed with. Take the money son and help your family. No one understands this more than Larry Brown.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/report-emmanuel-mudiay-cleared-by-ncaa-will-still-play-overseas-instead-of-at-smu.html/