Does the loss of a couple of key assistants hurt?

Harry

Now that we are back from a little R&R and in the blast furnace of the Texas summer, its time to kick our summer questions series on UNT football back into gear.

Its something of an off-season tradition to look at the state of affairs for the UNT football program and pose a few questions about where the Mean Green stands and where its headed the following fall.

- See more at: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/06/summer-football-questions-series-part-v-does-the-loss-of-a-couple-of-key-assistants-hurt.html/#sthash.kFDzbFPf.dpuf

It might affect a couple players that looked up to the departed coaches, but the persona of the HC and lead coordinators permeates through the entire coaching staff which in hand trickles down to the athletes. I also think the replacements are great, so the loss of the coaches will not gravely affect this team, IMO.

I think they way that Joseph and Walters coached the secondary last year is the biggest loss. We saw a dramatic improvement there despite some early mistakes like the 1st play long td pass against Colorado State. I think that recruiting may have improved with the addition of Patrick. Loved Nelson as a coach but he did not recruit. Walters will be the biggest shoes to fill as he is one of the best young recruiters in the entire country.

I think they way that Joseph and Walters coached the secondary last year is the biggest loss. We saw a dramatic improvement there despite some early mistakes like the 1st play long td pass against Colorado State. I think that recruiting may have improved with the addition of Patrick. Loved Nelson as a coach but he did not recruit. Walters will be the biggest shoes to fill as he is one of the best young recruiters in the entire country.

Colorado State? You mean Idaho?

I liked Walters and Joseph a lot, but the two replacements add valuable experience. Both played NFL ball and one coached NFL dbs. Walters and Joseph were young and up and coming coaches, but they were pretty much still viewed as learning the ropes with little input in my opinion. Skladany still ran everything.

With the pro experience, they will probably have more credibility and input.

• Upvote 2

2013 is correct. If you ever watched the sideline after one of those plays,it wasn't the postion coach that was chewing ass. I also witnessed a broken white board at the Southern Miss game after a long pass completion. Believe me, Skladany drives the ship, the other guys are just facilitators.

• Upvote 1

Beyond the Green really showed the magic of Skladany - his cool calming influence at halftime in games we were behind in contrasted to his rage on the sideline when a key assignment was missed. This guy is just an extremely good coach and leader.

Beyond the Green really showed the magic of Skladany - his cool calming influence at halftime in games we were behind in contrasted to his rage on the sideline when a key assignment was missed. This guy is just an extremely good coach and leader.

My personal favorite scene of him on BTG was after he finished talking to his players on D and walked passed the offense banging on lockers saying "LET'S GO O!". Basically, illustrated exactly what you just said. He was calm, cool and collected while teaching his guys on the mistakes they made on how to correct them, and then fired up with an insane amount of energy to rally the troops.

We are very fortunate to have the coaches that we currently have.

• Upvote 2