'15 DB Ashton Preston (Oklahoma)

The last time SMU was a big deal was...ummm...was...hmmm. Stick to your committments young man or don't make them at all. See you in Denton next year wearing green.

Meh. It's part of the process. This is a very common outlook towards decommitting, but it's easy to forget that these are 16 and 17 year olds making these decisions. They have to look out for their best interests. I'm not going to hold anything against Tillman Johnson for deciding on second thought that North Texas may be better for him than Texas State.

As for SMU, unfortunately they have gotten the better of us lately in recruiting. They are ahead of us in the state's recruiting totem pole. But we still do beat them out from time to time and hopefully we pass them up. Preston would be a good step towards that.

Beating SMU would go a long ways towards getting Preston. Even then, I'm concerned about the $100 handshakes he would get if he visits SMU. There's also a good chance they aren't the last school to offer him. He has all the tools, he just needs to put it together on the field. Sounds like he's well on his way towards that. Hopefully we can still hang on to him.

Meh. It's part of the process. This is a very common outlook towards decommitting, but it's easy to forget that these are 16 and 17 year olds making these decisions. They have to look out for their best interests. I'm not going to hold anything against Tillman Johnson for deciding on second thought that North Texas may be better for him than Texas State.

As for SMU, unfortunately they have gotten the better of us lately in recruiting. They are ahead of us in the state's recruiting totem pole. But we still do beat them out from time to time and hopefully we pass them up. Preston would be a good step towards that.

Beating SMU would go a long ways towards getting Preston. Even then, I'm concerned about the $100 handshakes he would get if he visits SMU. There's also a good chance they aren't the last school to offer him. He has all the tools, he just needs to put it together on the field. Sounds like he's well on his way towards that. Hopefully we can still hang on to him.

Pretty sure SMU has gone full late 1980s, especially in basketball. Football won't be far behind.

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the game behind me. Seemed really impressed with the D. His buddy who was with him was way more into the game overall. Hopefully his visit went well and he decides to "firm" up his commitment...

https://twitter.com/a_preston27/status/508292002384207872

His buddy was Calvin Bundage. Forgot to post this when I saw it yesterday. Bundage is a guy to watch. He's a big safety who plays with Preston. He's 190 as a junior, and I think he'd project well as a speedy outside linebacker in the defense we run. That Will position where we put speed at. Like Ellis, Marshall, Will Wright, etc. All of the guys who cover Oklahoma prep sports have been very high on Bundage as well.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

He has vastly improved from his junior year. Was always very talented but he looks like a completely different football player. Really hope we can hang on here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/a_preston27/status/508292002384207872

His buddy was Calvin Bundage. Forgot to post this when I saw it yesterday. Bundage is a guy to watch. He's a big safety who plays with Preston. He's 190 as a junior, and I think he'd project well as a speedy outside linebacker in the defense we run. That Will position where we put speed at. Like Ellis, Marshall, Will Wright, etc. All of the guys who cover Oklahoma prep sports have been very high on Bundage as well.

https://twitter.com/brodrick_morkes/status/528245476538454016

Big hit by Calvin Bundage, Preston's teammate. He's really become one of the 2016 guys I hope we target and offer early. Big-time hitter who is kind of a tweener between safety and linebacker, when projecting to the next level. That may fend off bigger schools, which could play in our favor. And if we can end up signing Preston.

• 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/brodrick_morkes/status/528245476538454016

Big hit by Calvin Bundage, Preston's teammate. He's really become one of the 2016 guys I hope we target and offer early. Big-time hitter who is kind of a tweener between safety and linebacker, when projecting to the next level. That may fend off bigger schools, which could play in our favor. And if we can end up signing Preston.

https://twitter.com/bundage27/status/532008570779234304

Bundage gets offered by Tulsa. I hope we follow suit soon.