'15 DE Sam Miller (Canton)

I know people like to use rivals and they have been doing recruiting for a while, but they do not list all the offers. This year they have been very late on updating players and only seem interested in the big names that will produce articles for subscribers to read. 247 has closed the gap. These sites depend on the recruits for thier info.

If the recruit does not contact them or post it on twitter, the sites wont know. Offers very close to signing day wont get posted and that is understandable because it is so much activity and actual signings and commits are more important.

Which is what I said. Rivals is all about their pay sub-sites. Like Tidesports, Aggieyell, etc. All of the big schools have their rivals subsites and big enough fanbases to drive enough subscriptions to pay for multiple insiders. Basically having multiple Brett Vitos dedicated solely to recruiting for that school. Always updating who that school has offered and who visits

We don't have one anymore, and a lot of smaller schools don't. Therefore it takes longer for them to update small programs like us. ESPN, Scout, and 247 have local correspondents like Gabe Brooks or Damon Sayles who help keep everything up to date. They're more concerned about keeping each player's offer list up to date. And yes, it is mostly done on twitter, so hard to tell legitimacy.

But going back, it's even harder to find out players' offer lists. Go back before 2006 and you really only see who the kid signed with, unless he had offers from big schools. Point was, you can't find a UNT defensive commit/signee with a better listed offer list. And there probably hasn't been during the recruiting website era.

Did a little research to help put some perspective on how big a commitment this is. In the era of recruiting websites and databases, Miller may be the most highly recruited defensive commitment we've received in the rivals/recruiting website era.

Looking at our most highly recruited players as far back as the websites allow you to look, we haven't received a commitment from a player with a better offer list. Some other highly recruited players we've had include Chad Davis (2013) who held a Texas Tech offer and about 8 total, DeWaylon Cook (2008) who held offers from TCU, Utah, and West Virginia, and Kerry Swarn (2011) who held an Arizona and Iowa offer. Keep in mind that TCU and Utah were in the Mountain West when they offered Cook.

It's hard to truly tell whether or not all of a players offers are listed, or if all listed offers are truly committable. Especially the further back in the past you look, on rivals, etc. But based on the information given, Sam Miller has more total listed offers, 11, than all of those other players and has offers from schools in Oregon State and Kansas State, 2 schools from power conferences that have been ranked in the top 25 at some point during the past 2 seasons.

Hopefully the kid works his tail off and the coaches keep working at maintaining a firm commitment from Sam. Could be a very good one.

Interesting that those other highly rated recruits had very little impact on game day.

Lets hope Mr. Miller breaks that trend.

I'll be torn in between, but I'll be honestly rooting for UNT. Florida is a solidified program. A loss to UNT would be percieved a better loss as compared to Ga Southern last year. A win for UNT in Gainseville would be huge. Giant. As for the cake, stalk much?

Just the insincere.

BillySee58, my comments were not directed at you. I appreciate your research and knowledgsble posts. My comments were for the person that is the opposite. I think it is quite obvious who that would be.

Thank you. I wasn't necessarily responding as if they were. I was just pointing out that it was not out of line for people to feel disappointied about only having 1 commitment prior to yesterday.

But, as we all know, recruiting is a marathon and it doesn't matter if you feel disappointed in the class in June. How the class ends up on signing day is infinitely more important. And yes, to say this coaching staff can't recruit based on how things stand in mid-June is ridiculous, IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 really good recruits are committed. It's looking promising at this point. We will see how good this staff can recruit come football season. Recruiting is a marathon as Billy said, but for me to be upset at having 1 commit in mid June was well warranted. As for lifer to tell me I have no knowledge of football/recruiting is misinformed. Also, for someone to throw bashes out towards people behind a hidden internet name is cowardly.

• Downvote 2

Also, for someone to throw bashes out towards people behind a hidden internet name is cowardly.

Ben,

Read this part of your own post at least 50 times a day.

Maybe then you will stop calling people Dbags and cowardly from behind a computer screen?

• Upvote 1

The three that Billy researched were all very good players subjected to a very subpar coaching staff. Cook, especially, with our current coaches would be all-conference.

You don't get 11 offers from the universities that were recruiting him and be a 2* player. It's hard for players from 3A schools to get a lot of love from the recruiting services. I'm trusting this coaching staff more and more when it comes to recruiting. I also believe that we got a good upgrade in coaching the defensive line. If we can get Skladany and Patrick on the same page I feel that we are going to have some spectacular results.

We need more Sam Miller type players and I believe that he's a very good start.

I do that in retaliation of critical people. To be clear though I am not hiding anywhere, behind anything.

Neither am I. I messaged you so you know who I am. But to be clear, you retaliate against critical people, but don't expect the same in return when you are critical?

This coaching staff has proven their ability to recruit, but they are chasing a different caliber of player this year so results may not be as quick. How nany times has UT offered a player after us? How many recruiting battles have we won over the likes of Kansas State and Oregon State? Have a little patience and let's see who signs on the dotted line come signing day. Being hyper-critical of our staff before then is nothing but premature speculation.

Sam, welcome to Denton and our ever dysfunctional family.

• Upvote 2

Neither am I. I messaged you so you know who I am. But to be clear, you retaliate against critical people, but don't expect the same in return when you are critical?

This coaching staff has proven their ability to recruit, but they are chasing a different caliber of player this year so results may not be as quick. How nany times has UT offered a player after us? How many recruiting battles have we won over the likes of Kansas State and Oregon State? Have a little patience and let's see who signs on the dotted line come signing day. Being hyper-critical of our staff before then is nothing but premature speculation.

Sam, welcome to Denton and our ever dysfunctional family.

I would disagree that this staff "has proven their ability to recruit." I think this year's won-loss record will tell that tale.

And I'm not saying they haven't recruited well. I'm saying we just don't know. Almost all of the major contributors last year were Dodge recruits, so we know that Mac and his staff are either hella coaches or hella player developers or some combination of both.

But what we don't know is how good of recruiters they are. That is answered this year. And the answer comes in the form of how well Macs recruits do in replacing Dodge recruits production.

Easy as advanced Calculus.

90 hit the nail on the head.

I agree with some of it with the exception of....Almost all of the major contributors last year were Dodge recruits...almost all?

Jimmerson, buyers, jjones, trice, akunne, d Smith, lee, lemon were major contributors. Thats 8 players that were not dodges recruits.

Buyers, trice, akunne, lemon, lee made all cusa selections.

• Upvote 2

Buyers and Smith were walk-ons, so I don't count them as Mac recruits either. But your point is taken.

Overall though, 2013 did show that Mac and Co can develop players and coach.

2014 will show if their talent evaluation is as good.

I agree. a few walk ons, jucos and transfers that does not really show or prove if they can evaluate young talent.

Im glad you stated Mac AND CO...because its really the other coaches that are responsible for identifying and evaluating talent. The head coach is usually the closer. On offense, chico is getting the final say on a recruit. Skladany on defense. If there are any misses, its really on them. Mac may only override due to a character flaw, but they are the ones looking at film on a recruit and presenting them to the decision makers.

Jimmerson, Akunne, Lemon and Lee were all HS recruits. I would not discount Jones as you still have to evaluate JUCO talent. That may even be more important considering they are usually only here two years and you do not want to waste a scholarship.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...