'15 DE Sam Miller (Canton)

• 4 weeks later...

Some schemes are absolutely baffling! Why on God's green earth would you leave this monster unblocked unless you were running speed option or the read option on him. This kid can play sideline to sideline, through lead blocks, step under OT to fill holes. Impressed!!

• Upvote 1

Some schemes are absolutely baffling! Why on God's green earth would you leave this monster unblocked unless you were running speed option or the read option on him. This kid can play sideline to sideline, through lead blocks, step under OT to fill holes. Impressed!!

Absolutely. I liked how he looked even playing the wide-9. That, plus being unblocked, plus his speed off the edge is just asking to get your ball carriers hit. I will say, the one thing that stands out negatively is that he could use some work tackling, particularly not tackling so high. But just a great get. Kid plays nasty. There's a reason they have packages with him at fullback.
  • Upvote 3

Billy, I'd be willing to bet my ridiculously small MS coaching check that coach Mac and co can fix his tackling form almost immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong but he reminds me if a harder working Blankenship from TC.

But, but, but, but our coaching staff can't recruit, can't sell North Texas, can't capitalize on our bowl win. Knee braces for sale for 5 easy payments of $29.99.

I personally never said this staff can't recruit, and only one person on here suggested that. But I do hold firm to my statement that it was disappointing that we had just one commit in the middle of June. We still had/have plenty of time to bring in some studs, but it was disappointing having just one commit to that point after we were/are expecting an improvement in recruiting after breaking through on the field. Miller and hopefully Brooks tomorrow is a great way to get things going in gear. Keep that up and we will prove that recruiting is improving as our on-field success begins to occur. Really promising stuff.

Billy, I'd be willing to bet my ridiculously small MS coaching check that coach Mac and co can fix his tackling form almost immediately. Correct me if I'm wrong but he reminds me if a harder working Blankenship from TC.

Lol, for sure. Those are the types of problems you're fine with, especially on a junior film. Now if a kid is too slow and/or small, or doesn't have the nastiness, etc, those are problems that you can only coach up so much. Really excited about the future of this d-line with Coach KP and Miller coming aboard. Gotta love being able to get pressure from a 4-man pass rush.

Not sure. Never watched Blankenship play. Miller doesn't quite have that frame, but if he could be similar and make more out of his talent we'd have quite the stud on our hands.

"In addition to playing quality teams in Conference USA, the Mean Green have games lined up against SMU, Iowa, Florida and Army during Miller and Bendy’s time with the program."

We have a game lined up with Florida?

Yes. 2015 or 16 if my memory is correct. Of course, they may always buy us out to find an easier win.

• Upvote 1

Did a little research to help put some perspective on how big a commitment this is. In the era of recruiting websites and databases, Miller may be the most highly recruited defensive commitment we've received in the rivals/recruiting website era.

Looking at our most highly recruited players as far back as the websites allow you to look, we haven't received a commitment from a player with a better offer list. Some other highly recruited players we've had include Chad Davis (2013) who held a Texas Tech offer and about 8 total, DeWaylon Cook (2008) who held offers from TCU, Utah, and West Virginia, and Kerry Swarn (2011) who held an Arizona and Iowa offer. Keep in mind that TCU and Utah were in the Mountain West when they offered Cook.

It's hard to truly tell whether or not all of a players offers are listed, or if all listed offers are truly committable. Especially the further back in the past you look, on rivals, etc. But based on the information given, Sam Miller has more total listed offers, 11, than all of those other players and has offers from schools in Oregon State and Kansas State, 2 schools from power conferences that have been ranked in the top 25 at some point during the past 2 seasons.

Hopefully the kid works his tail off and the coaches keep working at maintaining a firm commitment from Sam. Could be a very good one.

• Upvote 2

It's hard to truly tell whether or not all of a players offers are listed, or if all listed offers are truly committable. Especially the further back in the past you look, on rivals, etc. But based on the information given, Sam Miller has more total listed offers, 11, than all of those other players and has offers from schools in Oregon State and Kansas State, 2 schools from power conferences that have been ranked in the top 25 at some point during the past 2 .

I know people like to use rivals and they have been doing recruiting for a while, but they do not list all the offers. This year they have been very late on updating players and only seem interested in the big names that will produce articles for subscribers to read. 247 has closed the gap. These sites depend on the recruits for thier info.

If the recruit does not contact them or post it on twitter, the sites wont know. Offers very close to signing day wont get posted and that is understandable because it is so much activity and actual signings and commits are more important.

As far as Sam miller, he has a very impressive offer list, especially BEFORE his senior season has even started. I doubt he stays at 2 stars once they re-evaluate. A commit like this is a big step in the right direction. I figure some in state schools will try to flip this guy, but we have the advantage right now. I havent done much research, but he is most likely the top recruit unt has had in a while as far as offers. Coaches did a good job.