'15 JUCO WR Jarvis Baxter (TVCC)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The more I think about it the less I'm inclined to want JUCO receivers. Unless there is an immediate need, I prefer players who will be here for four years. By the time the Class of '15 gets here I'd suspect that there could be as many as five receivers ahead of them and they'd get little chance to see the field before their senior season. We still have four or five really good receivers on our board and hopefully we can get one or two of them.

Now if you want to talk about defensive tackles...

The more I think about it the less I'm inclined to want JUCO receivers. Unless there is an immediate need, I prefer players who will be here for four years. By the time the Class of '15 gets here I'd suspect that there could be as many as five receivers ahead of them and they'd get little chance to see the field before their senior season. We still have four or five really good receivers on our board and hopefully we can get one or two of them.

Now if you want to talk about defensive tackles...

I think you'll see us grab one JUCO receiver this cycle. We've already offered at least 5. We have receivers, but we don't have very many who have proved themselves yet, especially on the outside. 4 of the 5 receivers we have offered are outside receiver types, standing between 6'1" and 6'4". Baxter is the one who isn't that tall, but the coaches may still look at him as an outside receiver if they believe he is fast enough to get open on the outside (which he may be). I don't think we need a slot JUCO receiver, but we may need some immediate help on the outside next year, since 3 of the 4 outside receivers on our post-spring two-deep are seniors (Darius Terrell, Skip Caldwell, and John Chelf).

Here's what our receiver situation is looking like in 2015, just based on who will be returning from our 2014 roster, and their projected grade classification in 2015.

Outside receiver 1 (X receiver)

- Darvin Kidsy 6'0" (Junior)

- O'Keeron Rutherford 6'4" (RS Freshman or Soph)

Outside receiver 2 (Z receiver)

- Rod Lancaster 6'2" (RS Junior)

-Tee Goree 6'2" (Sophomore)

In the slot I think we'll be fine. Carlos Harris (our most proven receiver) will be a senior and we'll also have Turner Smiley, Fonzale Davis, and Jalen Adams as well as possibly Willy Ivery to play there.

But out of those outside receivers we've only seen one play, in Darvin Kidsy. Tee Goree, who should be a stud, has not proven himself yet, Rutherford is still not a sure thing if he'll make it to campus with his grades, and Lancaster has been hurt almost his whole time here and is currently behind 2 former walkons on the depth chart. Hopefully Lancaster can put it together and capitalize on his talent, but it's hard to call him a sure thing.

A JUCO outside receiver would have a great shot to at least cracking our two-deep. Hopefully Lancaster starts playing well, Goree shows what we know he's capable of, and Rutherford makes it in and performs well. Even if all that happened, it would still be nice to have another option outside. If one or two of those things don't happen, it becomes almost a necessity.

Regarding outside receivers I had written Lancaster off. He had good numbers and speed in high school but that was a lower classification. Then, it seems like he's been hurt his entire time here. I didn't know about Rutherford and while I didn't count on him for this fall I did expect his presence to be felt in 2015. I also had Smiley as an outside receiver. He's an inch taller than Kidsy and just as fast. If I remember correctly, he caught more passes/yards in high school than Carlos Harris. Plus there's another outside receiver that I have a gut feeling that's going to really come to the front and that's Cameron Brown. He was 88th ranked receiver in high school at Frisco Liberty, committed to Minnesota, decommitted when they fired Brewster, went to WKU to play under Taggert, then left again when Coach Taggert left and has walked on here. He was a 3-star athlete in high school and I'm hoping for great things from him here.

Even though two are unproven I believe that the slot is in capable hands with Harris, Fonzale Davis and Jalen Adams and I agree that we don't need help there. If they move Willy Ivery there it will really be a strength. I don't know what they'll do with him though. It seems to me that he is about the same size that Lance Dunbar was as a freshman. I think that you can put 15-20 pounds on him and have another Dunbar or move him to the slot and possibly have another Brelan Chancellor.

If we could get Jacquez McMillian out of Mississippi I would definitely soften my stand against getting a JUCO player. He'd start in 2015 and 2016, barring injury. Other JUCOs might get some playing time but not enough to justify another scholarship when we need some defensive players, in my opinion.

Edited by GrayEagle

I think you'll see us grab one JUCO receiver this cycle. We've already offered at least 5. We have receivers, but we don't have very many who have proved themselves yet, especially on the outside. 4 of the 5 receivers we have offered are outside receiver types, standing between 6'1" and 6'4". Baxter is the one who isn't that tall, but the coaches may still look at him as an outside receiver if they believe he is fast enough to get open on the outside (which he may be). I don't think we need a slot JUCO receiver, but we may need some immediate help on the outside next year, since 3 of the 4 outside receivers on our post-spring two-deep are seniors (Darius Terrell, Skip Caldwell, and John Chelf).

Here's what our receiver situation is looking like in 2015, just based on who will be returning from our 2014 roster, and their projected grade classification in 2015.

Outside receiver 1 (X receiver)

- Darvin Kidsy 6'0" (Junior)

- O'Keeron Rutherford 6'4" (RS Freshman or Soph)

Outside receiver 2 (Z receiver)

- Rod Lancaster 6'2" (RS Junior)

-Tee Goree 6'2" (Sophomore)

In the slot I think we'll be fine. Carlos Harris (our most proven receiver) will be a senior and we'll also have Turner Smiley, Fonzale Davis, and Jalen Adams as well as possibly Willy Ivery to play there.

But out of those outside receivers we've only seen one play, in Darvin Kidsy. Tee Goree, who should be a stud, has not proven himself yet, Rutherford is still not a sure thing if he'll make it to campus with his grades, and Lancaster has been hurt almost his whole time here and is currently behind 2 former walkons on the depth chart. Hopefully Lancaster can put it together and capitalize on his talent, but it's hard to call him a sure thing.

A JUCO outside receiver would have a great shot to at least cracking our two-deep. Hopefully Lancaster starts playing well, Goree shows what we know he's capable of, and Rutherford makes it in and performs well. Even if all that happened, it would still be nice to have another option outside. If one or two of those things don't happen, it becomes almost a necessity.

I thought Flonzale Davis was the one that had the questionable qualifying situation?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...