Could a good season be a bad thing?

GrandGreen

I think NT has a chance to be above a .500 CUSA even with the current coaching situation. Williams and Jones should be very good players their senior year although I think both have been severely hampered by Benford. Aniefiok and Taylor should hopefully be much better also. The front court can't be any worse than last year with the only capable player Voss returning. The newcomers look average in total but should help.

The worst case scenario to me is that they have a say 15 win season and Benford stays. It is possible that Benford could improve enough to be a good coach but the odds are against it. A team that challenges for the CUSA championship would cement Benford in for the remainder of his contract or probably with RV at the helm get him an extension. My fear is that a mediocre season would do the same.

I have never been as disinterested in a team as I was last year, and missed more home games than I have in the prior 40 years. Unfortunately, I don't think I am close to being along. I don't want this Benford experiment to drag on. Ether he really turns its around or he needs to be gone.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

All depends on the schedule. RV is just trying to get him through the magical 4th year when we fire coaches, and Benford is hanging on to this paycheck as long as he can, as he knows he will never be a head coach for a D1 college basketball program again.

We won't compete for a conference championship. No worries there. And we will go no further than a 2nd round CUSA tourney game (only because all the crappy schools play each other in round one, otherwise...).

I feel really sorry for Jordan and Chris that this university was too damn cheap and the AD was too damn prideful to furnish them with a capable D1 college basketball coach for 3 years. They, and every other player, deserved better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah but it also fired Dickey after one and a half bad years, immediately following four bowl games.

They fired him after he had 3 winning seasons in 9 years.

And in his three winning seasons, his teams beat exactly 2 non-SBC teams that were also FBS schools, Cincy and Baylor.

And the fanbase abandoned him long before he got fired, since we were all MFers in his view, while he coached at the WORST JOB IN AMERICA (his exact words, since he worked here everyday).

He stayed as long as he did because he was friendly with the BOR and didn't cost much.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1