Rick Gosselin: Football is Back at North Texas. Big Time Football.

meangreener

Fair enough. But do they want to come in 2010?

In 2010? Hell no. I sat at home eating Taco Bell, drinking the cheapest beer I could find, laughing at the ineptitude on the radio in 2010.

Point being, my perception has certainly changed, but more importantly, so has the general public's.

Just this morning I went to eat breakfast, no idea what station was playing. Something 80s rockish. The morning DJs come on and start talking about the six thousand people at the UNT spring game. So this isn't UNT related, it isn't even sports related, but they're talking about us... admirably. For that, I'll accept the coach speak puffery even if I personally find it redundant and tiresome.

• Upvote 4

In 2010? Hell no. I sat at home eating Taco Bell, drinking the cheapest beer I could find, laughing at the ineptitude on the radio in 2010.

Point being, my perception has certainly changed, but more importantly, so has the general public's.

Just this morning I went to eat breakfast, no idea what station was playing. Something 80s rockish. The morning DJs come on and start talking about the six thousand people at the UNT spring game. So this isn't UNT related, it isn't even sports related, but they're talking about us... admirably. For that, I'll accept the coach speak puffery even if I personally find it redundant and tiresome.

Well, that's my point in this thread. I'm not trying to argue with you here because I think you have a valid point and we're mostly on the same page, some aren't *cough cough*, but most of what you've described is Mac's doing.

I came here with the intention of not giving a damn about football here and spirit until Mac arrived my sophomore year. You can be damn sure I'm not the only one. My roommate was a UT fan when I met him, now he tells me he doesn't actively root for them, he just doesn't root for them to lose because of NT's football presence.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I agree with what UNT90 has to say. A lot of the players that shined so bright last year, not McCarneys recruits. They were Dodge recruits. I personally think the margin for error in this system is setting us up for failure. In year 4, with what is suppose to be a coaches "breakout" year with his recruits and fully into his system is months away. If McCarney can match what took place this past year then I will be convinced. To hear the excuse even just once of losing 22 seniors, of which he did not recruit, is nothing more than that, an excuse. A bad one at that. Until then, the jury is still out on him. He can praise himself all he wants, but until there is some consistency in place then it's just jibber jabber.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well, I agree with what UNT90 has to say. A lot of the players that shined so bright last year, not McCarneys recruits. They were Dodge recruits. I personally think the margin for error in this system is setting us up for failure. In year 4, with what is suppose to be a coaches "breakout" year with his recruits and fully into his system is months away. If McCarney can match what took place this past year then I will be convinced. To hear the excuse even just once of losing 22 seniors, of which he did not recruit, is nothing more than that, an excuse. A bad one at that. Until then, the jury is still out on him. He can praise himself all he wants, but until there is some consistency in place then it's just jibber jabber.

I don't get you. One moment you're all "rah rah rah" and the next moment you've already decided Mac will fail.

Mac, in one season, brought awareness and respect to this program. Even Fry couldn't bring awareness nor respect judging by turnout. His first two seasons gained us respect with games like K-State. Y'all are delusional and make me want to lock myself in my bedroom. What a goddamn downer.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Of course you agree with UNT90. You are a Mac hater too.

Of course you agree with UNT90. You are a Mac hater too.

I'm adding two new faces (not you GOMG) to ignore, such low football IQ. I can NOT believe that we even have "Mac haters." Did you have your head buried in the sand from 1990-2002 then 2004-2010, 90? How bout you, Ben? Tell me all about the insane accomplishments of this program from 1990-2010 besides the NO Bowl which did not improve attendance or garner national respect. Somebody enlighten me as to how Mac's job isn't the hardest in NCAA. He had 4 solid players, I get that. The other 18 were no names prior to this year after they taught them to play. What else?

Dickey AND Fry clearly showed you have to WIN here but also BUILD A PROGRAM. We've never had a coach do both. We've had some great coaches fail here for reasons that SHOULD be obvious. Mac isn't so far and is building a program.

I need some Advil, this has gotten to me way more than it should.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We sure are beating up on a guy that took us to a Bowl win. I can't believe what I'm reading. If he were super humble and quiet all the time then we would blame him for not making more noise and saying "we're the real deal." He would be the reason nobody takes notice of us blah blah blah.

I thought the exact same thing about why is he was always pounding his chest and biggin' himself up, but then we stopped getting our asses kicked and actually started winning.

Beat your chest MAC! I'll make sure you get the credit you deserve!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We sure are beating up on a guy that took us to a Bowl win. I can't believe what I'm reading. If he were super humble and quiet all the time then we would blame him for not making more noise and saying "we're the real deal." He would be the reason nobody takes notice of us blah blah blah.

I thought the exact same thing about why is he was always pounding his chest and biggin' himself up, but then we stopped getting our asses kicked and actually started winning.

Beat your chest MAC! I'll make sure you get the credit you deserve!!

I'm stunned that there is an anti-Mac circlejerk as well. This place never fails to stun me. Ever. Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 1

For that, I'll accept the coach speak puffery even if I personally find it redundant and tiresome.

My point exactly. It used to get on my nerves, but the more we started winning, the more deaf I got to the puffery.

MAC is a good dude, and he means well. I thinks he's just been selling the puffery so long that it's his personality. I'll take it. Just keep winning.

I'm not beating up on a guy. But I'm not going to bathe in his bullshit either. I'm a realist. As far as this being the worst job in football. No, not by a long shot. There are several other jobs that are not near as good and some of them are in our own conference. As football IQ goes, this has nothing to do with football IQ. It has to do with calling bullshit when you smell it.

As far as recruiting goes, some complain about that too. Mac is a great recruiter, but has a HUGE uphill battle. Especially outside of the dfw area.

UNT is pretty much unknown and recruits have to look up the program once they get an offer.

instead of getting congrats in committing to UNT, I know a few 2013 recruits who got bad reactions. Not from students, but from area coaches, trainers, media, etc. several tried to talk them into going to a better school, play in a better conference, etc. complete strangers too.

I heard kalee woods was ready to commit last year and was talked out of it. this is what Mac and his staff has to deal with.

I'm not beating up on a guy. But I'm not going to bathe in his bullshit either. I'm a realist. As far as this being the worst job in football. No, not by a long shot. There are several other jobs that are not near as good and some of them are in our own conference. As football IQ goes, this has nothing to do with football IQ. It has to do with calling bullshit when you smell it.

You're exactly right and I can smell your bullshit.

• Downvote 3

I'm adding two new faces (not you GOMG) to ignore, such low football IQ. I can NOT believe that we even have "Mac haters." Did you have your head buried in the sand from 1990-2002 then 2004-2010, 90? How bout you, Ben? Tell me all about the insane accomplishments of this program from 1990-2010 besides the NO Bowl which did not improve attendance or garner national respect. Somebody enlighten me as to how Mac's job isn't the hardest in NCAA. He had 4 solid players, I get that. The other 18 were no names prior to this year after they taught them to play. What else?

Dickey AND Fry clearly showed you have to WIN here but also BUILD A PROGRAM. We've never had a coach do both. We've had some great coaches fail here for reasons that SHOULD be obvious. Mac isn't so far and is building a program.

I need some Advil, this has gotten to me way more than it should.

This thread was just guaranteed 10 more pages.

I dislike the Mac hate and agree with his job being challenging, but were you even alive in 1990? Just curious... because you talk like you are "wise" from experience. Battles should be picked carefully...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, your hatred for Mac has shown today. I like your posts and think most people on here overreact about you, but I have to read your posts with underlying hate now.

I am sure you are a great fan and support unt, but you gotta watch a lot more football. Throwing out a few names dont make a football PROGRAM.

We are still hurting in the speed and athleticism area.

if we are going to take the term "bare" literally and say that there was not one good player on the whole team, then you have a point, but most people who follow sports gets what Mac was saying.

The Mac winning with dodge's recruits is hilarious to me.

So now I hate Mac?

Lol! You guys are priceless.

Speaking of Mac hatred, why did All About Mac close? I tried to take my kid there, but they were gone. Traumatized, she's sworn off macaroni and cheese entirely now. Why, Mac? Whhyyy!?!?

Was that the place on fry street? I'm going to make a Hot Sports Opinion here, but I didn't it was very good. At all. Guess you could call me a Mac hater.

• Upvote 1

This thread was just guaranteed 10 more pages.

I dislike the Mac hate and agree with his job being challenging, but were you even alive in 1990? Just curious... because you talk like you are "wise" from experience. Battles should be picked carefully...

I've talked with enough alumni, staff, people aware with the program and done enough to research to see that this program was irrelevant for a long time. I didn't hear that this school even existed until 2006 when I lived in Keller and Dodge was hired. And as a child, I was raised on football, college and NFL. This school was an unknown in Houston, and it is not like that now...within the last year or two. What else has changed except Mac?

• Downvote 1