Mac: Is this UNT’s deepest batch of backs ever?

Harry

The video at the top of this blog is of Dan McCarney and I chatting a little about the spring game and how spring practice went in general for the Mean Green. McCarney has some interesting things to say, as always.

And while we are at it, Im going to break one of my unwritten rules and allow myself to be drug into a ridiculous debate after being called out for not agreeing with a readers opinion on a topic that really doesnt matter in the large scheme of things.

The topic? Is this the deepest batch of running backs UNT has ever had going into the 2014 season?

Watch video here and more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/04/mgb-video-mccarney-talks-spring-game-is-this-unts-deepest-batch-of-backs-ever.html/

Foolish debate at this point.

Jimmerson and Evans could go down with injuries in Summer practice and then what would our "depth" look like?

Also, none of our current stable of backs have ever been "the" guy. I think having 2 national rushing champs returning in 2004 (?) was by far the deepest you could ever hope to be at RB.

Anyone looking at what we have now is going strictly on potential.

Remember how much potential Brock Berglund had?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't know that I'd really disagree with Vito's conclusion . . . but when talking about depth, you don't talk about the #1 RB, and you don't talk about someone who is out for the season. So when talking about 2004 RB depth, you start with James Mitchell.

THIS.

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ.

I wonder what part of the qualifying statements such as "If everyone shows up healthy this fall" and "IMHO" some of you didn't seem to understand. Also, saying that our current crop of RB's (again, IF they show up healthy) is potentially deeper than the four deep of 2004 is not out of line or silly. I think I spelled out what I meant by depth so that even the most simple minded could understand. Maybe I was wrong. Did someone take exception to me noticing their wrinkled brow and looking at me as if I was drunk or crazy. I really didn't mind...because I've gotten worse looks in the past.

I've only "stood around" and observed running backs (and other great players) since the days of Bobby Smith. In fact I don't mind speculating about depth based on what I've observed.. That's part of the fun of being a fan and watching the team practice. In fact, based on "standing around and observing" I told Brelan's position coach in the fall of his freshman year that I didn't see how they were going to be able to red shirt him.....or keep him off the field for that matter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Jesus Christ.

I wonder what part of the qualifying statements such as "If everyone shows up healthy this fall" and "IMHO" some of you didn't seem to understand. Also, saying that our current crop of RB's (again, IF they show up healthy) is potentially deeper than the four deep of 2004 is not out of line or silly. I think I spelled out what I meant by depth so that even the most simple minded could understand. Maybe I was wrong. Did someone take exception to me noticing their wrinkled brow and looking at me as if I was drunk or crazy. I really didn't mind...because I've gotten worse looks in the past.

I've only "stood around" and observed running backs (and other great players) since the days of Bobby Smith. In fact I don't mind speculating about depth based on what I've observed.. That's part of the fun of being a fan and watching the team practice. In fact, based on "standing around and observing" I told Brelan's position coach in the fall of his freshman year that I didn't see how they were going to be able to red shirt him.....or keep him off the field for that matter.

It's the Internet. You floated an opinion and some people disagreed. Don't get your panties in a wad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

After Jamaine Wilhite carried three consecutive times and made two first downs I turned to my wife and said, "And just think, he's probably at the bottom of the running back depth chart." I totally agree with Silver that this is, at least on paper, the deepest group of running backs in our history.

It's a fool's errand to try to use last season's yardage as the criterion for deciding depth. It's pretty obvious to me that if I had the four or five greatest running backs in the country that at least a couple of them aren't going to have impressive statistics. Silver qualified his statement by saying that there have been better running backs but not top to bottom..

To see what we potentially have here I looked at their average yards per carry their senior year in high school. I also included the two incoming running backs and here's what I found for eight of the nine running backs: Rollins 9.6; Evans 8.9; Ivery 8.7; Wilson 8.4; Pegram 8.3; Wilhite 7.9; Tucker 6.9 and Jimmerson 6.8. I couldn't find the average for Mark Lewis becaue I could never find the number of carries but he gained 1,965 yards his senior season and scored 33 touchdowns. He was a finalist for the Warrick Dunn Award as the best high school player in Louisiana and played in the Army All-Star game so suffice it to say he's not just a suit.

I took the average per carry and not the total yardage because teams have different strengths and usages for running backs. This is the last place that they were on equal footing.

Stick by your guns, Silver. You could probably also win a wager that this is the fastest set of running backs in our history as well. But, that might be a little harder to prove.

• Upvote 2

Jesus Christ.

Hey, at least he's not debating us on musical tastes, right Bill? :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

After Jamaine Wilhite carried three consecutive times and made two first downs I turned to my wife and said, "And just think, he's probably at the bottom of the running back depth chart." I totally agree with Silver that this is, at least on paper, the deepest group of running backs in our history.

It's a fool's errand to try to use last season's yardage as the criterion for deciding depth. It's pretty obvious to me that if I had the four or five greatest running backs in the country that at least a couple of them aren't going to have impressive statistics. Silver qualified his statement by saying that there have been better running backs but not top to bottom..

To see what we potentially have here I looked at their average yards per carry their senior year in high school. I also included the two incoming running backs and here's what I found for eight of the nine running backs: Rollins 9.6; Evans 8.9; Ivery 8.7; Wilson 8.4; Pegram 8.3; Wilhite 7.9; Tucker 6.9 and Jimmerson 6.8. I couldn't find the average for Mark Lewis becaue I could never find the number of carries but he gained 1,965 yards his senior season and scored 33 touchdowns. He was a finalist for the Warrick Dunn Award as the best high school player in Louisiana and played in the Army All-Star game so suffice it to say he's not just a suit.

I took the average per carry and not the total yardage because teams have different strengths and usages for running backs. This is the last place that they were on equal footing.

Stick by your guns, Silver. You could probably also win a wager that this is the fastest set of running backs in our history as well. But, that might be a little harder to prove.

I might have gotten around to that statement. But you're probably right Gray, that one would have been harder to prove. There was one more (potential) RB to add to the depth chart, and that is the one that I always referred to as "the mysterious Mr. Smith". He finally showed up on the scrimmage roster, but I didn't see him out there getting any reps during the game. His name is Chris Smith (5'8" X 170) #32, and he played HS ball at Kingwood HS in Humble Texas. They list him as a soph, with his only previous experience as being HS.

I don't know how hard it is for you to access the HS data base that you used in your response, but I would be curious as to what his HS stats were.

I might have gotten around to that statement. But you're probably right Gray, that one would have been harder to prove. There was one more (potential) RB to add to the depth chart, and that is the one that I always referred to as "the mysterious Mr. Smith". He finally showed up on the scrimmage roster, but I didn't see him out there getting any reps during the game. His name is Chris Smith (5'8" X 170) #32, and he played HS ball at Kingwood HS in Humble Texas. They list him as a soph, with his only previous experience as being HS.

I don't know how hard it is for you to access the HS data base that you used in your response, but I would be curious as to what his HS stats were.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/tx/kingwood/kingwood-park-high-school/christopher-smith17

My sources on the average yards per carry for the other running backs were mostly rivals and maxpreps. This source on Christopher Smith is from NCSA and is probably exaggerated...especially the 40 speed. It also indicates that he would have graduated in 2012 at age 20 (or 21). His statement says that he averaged over 10 yards per carry.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/tx/kingwood/kingwood-park-high-school/christopher-smith17

My sources on the average yards per carry for the other running backs were mostly rivals and maxpreps. This source on Christopher Smith is from NCSA and is probably exaggerated...especially the 40 speed. It also indicates that he would have graduated in 2012 at age 20 (or 21). His statement says that he averaged over 10 yards per carry.

Thanks Gray! Based on what I observed in practices and a couple of scrimmages, his 40 time would be a bit exaggerated. He's probably more like 4.4. What impressed me about him when I "stood around" and observed him in practice was how quick he was off the ball and how he didn't hesitate to run into traffic. He got off one of those inside-outside runs that was shown in his highlight reel during one of the scrimmages.

Thanks again.

Edited by SilverEagle

I wanted to add that I thought the Jimmy Show (his nickname, unlike the ridiculous JimJim that some here use) had an excellent game. The quick cuts he made on his 1st touchdown were VERY impressive. Rewatch if you didnt notice it. Left a defender just standing there.

he faked outside and made the cut on Chad Davis and had him looking bad.

I know some has to be thinking it, but dont want to say it, but jimmerson is/may be better than Byrd once he gets the carries. Byrd was good, but I cant wait to see what jimmerson can do with more touches. Then add Evans as another explosive back...it may not be the best ever, but I think its better than last year.

Not a bad stable of backs in 76/77

Milton Collins RB 6/2 220 Bloomingrove High 1977 Bobby Daniels RB 6/1 200 Dallas Roosevelt 1977 Gary Dirks RB 6/2 215 Paris North Lamar 1976 Bernard Jackson RB 6/1 185 Dallas Carter 1976 Malcolm Jones RB 5/8 165 Dallas Carter 1976 Jimmy Lockhart RB 6-O 190 Dallas WT White 1976 Walter Sims RB 6/1 200 Waco Richfield 1976
  • Upvote 2

We have a good start to our 2015 RB Class...

http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/Commits

Whatever. One is a JUCO and who knows how they will turn out, and the other is only a two star. I don't see many other offers. We could have and should have done much better considering Apogee, coming off a bowl win and ending up 9-4 our first season in CUSA. Our recruiting is lackluster at best. Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Whatever. One is a JUCO and who knows how they will turn out, and the other is only a two star. I don't see many other offers. We could have and should have done much better considering Apogee, coming off a bowl win and ending up 9-4 our first season in CUSA. Our recruiting is lackluster at best.

Think you better re-check that Dunbar offer list...

That Dunbar list is stacked yo. Recruiting will not jump sky high after one winning season in which we lost to a juco school that chased after some of our same recruits. We will need to have a couple more good years to see a true increase in player quality across the board. Players, even 18 year olds, want stability too.

• Upvote 1