DRC: Football: Schilleci following holes in secondary

SSP

There have been times this spring when North Texas coach Dan McCarney has had to stop and remind himself of just how long former Guyer standout John Schilleci has spent with the Mean Green.

The official tally is less than a year.

The time that has passed just seems a lot longer considering all that Schilleci has been through in only a few months with the Mean Green.

Schilleci earned a role as a special teams player almost immediately in the fall and has played at cornerback and safety this spring. That would be a lot for any freshman to handle.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20140409-football-schilleci-following-holes-in-unt-secondary.ece

• Upvote 3

I'm pulling for this guy.

What kind of speed does he have?

In high school he was clocked at 4.4 and ran the 100m in track at 10.5. thats above average speed.

I would guess he's at least 20lbs heavier and I think SSP said he was still running 4.5. That would make him faster than Trice and Lee, so from a speed standpoint, its an upgrade. The fact that he has played some corner also shows that he must have more agility than an average safety also.

• Upvote 2

In high school he was clocked at 4.4 and ran the 100m in track at 10.5. thats above average speed.

I would guess he's at least 20lbs heavier and I think SSP said he was still running 4.5. That would make him faster than Trice and Lee, so from a speed standpoint, its an upgrade. The fact that he has played some corner also shows that he must have more agility than an average safety also.

This is correct. The 4.5 was clocked on a laser. The 4.4 is stopclock. He has been pretty consistent with his speed. He had faster 100m times than a 10.5 laser, but was right around there at state and regional meets.

He played corner up until his JR year in HS. Totally different ballgame now, but it was helpful. We give him a hard time about his hands. He gets in great position most of the time, but only has a few INT in his pocket. Haven't really seen him play a skill position in over a year though. Hoping for a great day for him on Saturday. No pressure, or anything...

• Upvote 5

You are either implying that I am a Gigalo or one of the following definitions of the word "gig". Please advise.

Gig

noun

noun: gig; plural noun: gigs

historical

a light two-wheeled carriage pulled by one horse.

a light, fast, narrow boat adapted for rowing or sailing.

verb

verb: gig; 3rd person present: gigs; gerund or present participle: gigging; past tense: gigged; past participle: gigged

travel in a gig.

Origin

late 18th cent.: apparently a transferred sense of obsolete gig ‘a flighty girl,’ which was also applied to various objects or devices that whirled.

gig2

gig/

informal

noun

a live performance by or engagement for a musician or group playing popular or jazz music.

a job, esp. one that is temporary or that has an uncertain future.

"he secured his first gig as an NFL coach"

verb

verb: gig; 3rd person present: gigs; past tense: gigged; past participle: gigged; gerund or present participle: gigging

perform a gig or gigs.

use (a piece of musical equipment) at a gig.

Origin

1920s: of unknown origin.

gig3

gig/

noun

a harpoonlike device used for catching fish or frogs.

verb

verb: gig; 3rd person present: gigs; past tense: gigged; past participle: gigged; gerund or present participle: gigging

catch fish or frogs using a gig.

Origin

early 18th cent.: shortening of earlier (rarely used) fizgig, probably from Spanish fisga ‘harpoon.’

gig4

gig/

nounCOMPUTINGinformal

short for gigabyte.

• Downvote 3

That's why I added the gif.

Do you like your gig?

But before that, she needs to know which definition applies. Obviously she hasn't spent much time around musicians - odd, since we're talking North Texas.

noun

a live performance by or engagement for a musician or group playing popular or jazz music.

a job, esp. one that is temporary or that has an uncertain future.

"he secured his first gig as an NFL coach"