MGB: UNT men's basketball team parts ways with player

Would not be wise for Benford to add a transfer who is not eligible immediately. He needs to win and win now. Next season is his best , and maybe only, shot at doing so.

Yup. And it could be his first season with a full 13 eligible scholarship players available.

Oh wait, I just realized why that may not be a good thing.

Would not be wise for Benford to add a transfer who is not eligible immediately. He needs to win and win now. Next season is his best , and maybe only, shot at doing so.

We are the school that gave Todd Dodge four years.

Let that sink in and tell me there is ANYTHING stupid/silly that we are incapable of.

• Upvote 1

Let that sink in and tell me there is ANYTHING stupid/silly that we are incapable of.

And we are the fan base with a large percentage who felt he could still win, that his cupboards were bare, that he could right the ship, that he didn't have enough time for his players, his system, his... plan.

I think I've been to two games since Benford has been coach. I don't hate him to the level that I did Dodge though. I mean, he DOES win more than 14% of the time, even if it is against teams who aren't exactly D-1.

But I'm an example of the death knell fan for this basketball program. I'm a medium donor to football, season ticket holder, blah blah blah. When it comes to basketball, I don't stay away because I'm angry, I stay away because I simply don't care. There isn't enough product on the floor for a game to get prioritized over other Saturday night activities. And I'm more invested in this thing than Joe Dallasite who would only drive up to see a well coached Tony Mitchell windmill dunking over known D-1 programs and winning. That guy has pretty much forgotten that Denton exists at this point.

• Upvote 3

Hell, we gave Vic Trilli a 4th year after he had gone a whopping 16-63 in three years for a winning percentage of .203, because to fire him would have cost money. Instead, we heard all the same ol' UNT excuses we always hear when a failing coach has multiple years left on a contract in a money sport--just give him a chance, he knows this is the year that will make or break him, this is the year that he finally all of his guys, etc...How did Vic Trilli repay the university for giving him a 4th year when it was apparent he couldn't outcoach the worst Denton YMCA coach? By knocking down a sweet 4-24 year in the penultimate swing year, ending that glorious UNT tenure for 4 years at 20-87, a winning % of .187. But he did save us a few hundred thousand dollars, so I think we won the "AD Values Tournament" that year...

Todd Dodge went 6-37 and got fired in the middle of the 4th season, giving him a winning percentage of .140. But he saved us hundreds of thousands of known dollars by not buying him out, so I think we won another AD Values Title that year, too.

Tony Benford will be the same--there is not a doubt in my mind. As long as he wins more than 7 games next year, he will get that 4th year, guaranteed. Its just how we do it here. We go by "known costs" over unknown costs when it comes to athletic spending. Maybe we do it differently when it comes to music and arts funding--I really don't know. But I know that you don't just fall into "Best AD Values Trophies"..you gotta earn those suckers!! Way to go BOR and typical Dentonite that hates UNT sports!! I hope your recitals and exhibits can bring in tons of $$$ to be the window to the university for a long time from the dozens that show up to those performances. Too bad that the thousands of people who have shown that even a decent UNT team will get them to at least come and watch a--gasp!!--athletic endeavor on campus NEVER seem to get considered as a primary funding group for the university. After all, we don't KNOW what they will spend or if they will come, but we KNOW what this coach costs us each year that we guaranteed him a contract for into the future!!

• Upvote 2