UNT went through its final scrimmage before its spring game next week today. We kept a running blog going throughout the proceedings.

I shot a little video with Dan McCarney, who gave his thoughts on where things stand at this point. It’s at the top of this post.

And now for some thoughts.

The story of the day was the improvement of UNT’s defense, which is what I wrote about for tomorrow’s paper.

There are a few news tidbits I wanted to get to before then, starting with some injury/who’s not playing information.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/04/scrimmage-wrap-up-with-mccarney-video.html/

It would have been nice if someone had out a firm grip on the QB position. The fact that McNulty is even in the discussion really gives me pause for next year, along with everything else you listed.

Last year we didn't know who would start coming out of Spring ball, but we had a proven commodity in DT and were simply looking to upgrade. Not the case this year.

And that scares the hell out of me.

If we have not just one, but two QBs that have apparently been able to pull ahead of a QB that our local experts on such things believe is the best talent to come along in some time, wouldn't that be a good thing?

No, not when one of them has shown to be turnover prone and doesn't have an FBS arm.

The fact that the most physically gifted QB is 3rd on the depth chart is extremely bad for the program. I don't see how that is so hard to understand.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What is kind of odd is that so many on here seem to be calling for the dual threat QB. Go back and look. McNulty has shown that he is the most dual threat of any of the QBs. It seems like most assume DW is faster than Mini Mac. I don't happen to be one of them and MM have proven that he can run, more so than DW based on game results.

It's not like we are suddenly going to require a QB to throw it all over the field. We need some to make accurate 0-20 yard throws with the occasional downfield attempt, plus add some threat of running.

Time will tell. Lots of time and opportunity for DW to show what he has before these types of decisions have to be made.

I will admit the 2011 Tulsa game and the one attempt against Idaho are hard to un-see.

• Upvote 3

What is kind of odd is that so many on here seem to be calling for the dual threat QB. Go back and look. McNulty has shown that he is the most dual threat of any of the QBs. It seems like most assume DW is faster than Mini Mac. I don't happen to be one of them and MM have proven that he can run, more so than DW based on game results.

It's not like we are suddenly going to require a QB to throw it all over the field. We need some to make accurate 0-20 yard throws with the occasional downfield attempt, plus add some threat of running.

Time will tell. Lots of time and opportunity for DW to show what he has before these types of decisions have to be made.

I will admit the 2011 Tulsa game and the one attempt against Idaho are hard to un-see.

Again, it's McNulty's arm, not his feet, that bothers me.

If you can't throw downfield, teams will just put 8 in the box and take the short passing lanes away. We saw PLENTY of this last year with a QB with a much stronger arm than AM.

So with no downfield passing threat, the defense adjusts and dares you to take a shot.

We saw this with Riley Dodge, who had a better arm than AM.

Let that sink in.

The reason DW is more talented is the combination of arm strength and mobility, not one or the other. Both.

Edited by UNT90

• We will conclude spring with no QB starter (which is ok, because I want all to have a shot at it, but still means no one QB will get the reps in the fall. Instead they will be evaluating to see who starts.)
  • Two best WRs gone.
  • Basically the best returner in the game last year gone.
  • Both workhorse TEs gone (Prior/Miller)
  • Top RB gone, with possible best replacement out this spring (Pegram)
  • ALL FOUR STARTING DEFENSIVE LINEMEN GRADUATED
  • 2 of 3 LBs gone, including the best to play LB here in years
  • Special teams maniac and turnover machine Trice gone
  • And McNulty seemingly leading the aforementioned QB race. That scares me.
All of these can be overcome. Players come and go. And thankfully, we have a potential cupcake schedule next year. I just don't see how anyone looks at Tulsa and LaTech last year and conclude that we march to 9 wins again. We have not had to replace a senior class like this in a long time.

I am hopeful, but not blind.

Yup.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Again, it's McNulty's arm, not his feet, that bothers me.

If you can't throw downfield, teams will just put 8 in the box and take the short passing lanes away. We saw PLENTY of this last year with a QB with a much stronger arm than AM.

So with no downfield passing threat, the defense adjusts and dares you to take a shot.

We saw this with Riley Dodge, who had a better arm than AM.

Let that sink in.

The reason DW is more talented is the combination of arm strength and mobility, not one or the other. Both.

I'm not sure Riley had anywhere near MacNulty's arm after he busted his shoulder.

• Upvote 1

• We will conclude spring with no QB starter (which is ok, because I want all to have a shot at it, but still means no one QB will get the reps in the fall. Instead they will be evaluating to see who starts.)
  • Two best WRs gone.
  • Basically the best returner in the game last year gone.
  • Both workhorse TEs gone (Prior/Miller)
  • Top RB gone, with possible best replacement out this spring (Pegram)
  • ALL FOUR STARTING DEFENSIVE LINEMEN GRADUATED
  • 2 of 3 LBs gone, including the best to play LB here in years
  • Special teams maniac and turnover machine Trice gone
  • And McNulty seemingly leading the aforementioned QB race. That scares me.
All of these can be overcome. Players come and go. And thankfully, we have a potential cupcake schedule next year. I just don't see how anyone looks at Tulsa and LaTech last year and conclude that we march to 9 wins again. We have not had to replace a senior class like this in a long time.

I am hopeful, but not blind.

There's a big difference between realizing we have a tough hill to climb and saying we will go three and out every series in Austin.

I agree with your whole post here, but 97and03's post I was responding to was 150% hyperbole, in my opinion. No need for that kind of negativity.

• Upvote 1

Of course it was hyperbole. And I was responding to 90s talk of 50 running plays. Which is what we might see with McNulty at QB. All they will need to do is stack the box and cover the short route.

Fair enough. I can respect that as long as you come and eat your crow if MacNulty ends up the starter and we put together a good season.

Based on what we asked of the QB position last year, I am more worried about almost every other unit more than QB.

As has been pointed out D-Line is at the top of my list, then probably LB, with Trice gone and who knows what with Lee now Safety is a big concern, then return game.

Then I put RB and QB at about the same level of concern. In both positions I feel like we have good options to choose from, but it might take a few games to figure out exactly who it is.

I am prepared for a potential drop off because you just don't lose quality seniors like we did without a likely drop off, but I am hopeful that we pick right up where we left off. A lot would have to go right, including QB.

No worries. This all reminds me of last year when most were stating DT wasn't D1 material, our D-Line was going to be a big question mark, our secondary was weak, who was going to emerge and take the pressure off of Chancellor, who would replace Atterbury at punter, etc... I trust our coaches after what they produced last year and will chalk all of this up to off season hand wringing and knee jerking.

• Upvote 2