'15 DE/OLB Keenan Kelly (Georgia)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's huge. A commitment would be big in multiple ways. Shocking to me that he has no other offers, playing in arguably one of the top 5 football hotbeds in the country in Atlanta.

His film is very impressive IMO. He has good size and good speed/agility, in part evidenced by his coaches moving him to linebacker. I think Kelly would make a very good jack linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but he could definitely be a good end in a 4-3 for us.

• Upvote 1

Does he have a connection to UNT, Dallas , or Texas?

As soon as we offered Kelly and his teammate Quentez Johnson, the first thing I thought was that it was influenced by Coach KP. They did a decent job recruiting Georgia while he was at USF. Usually pulled 2-4 kids a class from Georgia. May or may not be the connection.

I love the idea of recruiting these southern states. No need in putting in the resources we did in Louisiana. Just offer a few kids here and there and try and get a visit out of them. Keep Texas the major focus, keep recruiting Oklahoma hard, and keep a watchful eye on the other southern states and the prospects in our conference foes' backyards.

We've been pretty picky with our LB offers. Wouldn't mind landing this guy

Yup, and if this kid has been offered at OLB it would be a shift from the type of players we've been recruiting at OLB. At 6'1" 225 lbs as a junior, he's a lot bigger than the OLBs we have signed in the past two years. Garner and Montgomery were at or around 200 lbs when they signed and Sed Ellis and Calvin Minor were probably around 200 when they came in for fall camp.

Again, a school that runs a 3-4 could really fall in love with this kid being their rush linebacker. Not really sure where he projects best for us. At 6'1" he's on the short side for a defensive end, but he has long arms and a good build. Could project inside as a linebacker, but he likes outside linebacker.

Really like the kids film though, and I love the Atlanta area. I'd be happy if we got this kid, regardless of what position.

• 2 months later...

The way those crystal balls work is the longer the prediction is up, the more points the predictor gets when/if that kid commits to that school. They can change them last minute, but they won't get as much points. We are his only offer, so that guy is just hoping it stays that way and he eventually picks us.

But that is the bigger point. We still appear to be his only offer (I believe he did pick up an FCS offer). I wouldn't mind getting this kid at all. He checked in at about 6'1" 225 at a camp and ran a 4.6 I believe. He'd be a very good fit at linebacker, even as an inside linebacker.